Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CMP 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brother_Hesekiel
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 771

    CMP 1911

    My FFL just today received my CMP Service Grade 1911. I had a quick look at it when doing the paperwork, but now it's in jail for the next 10 days. What confuses me is the serial number *1732361* combined with the make Remington Rand Inc. According to the reference lists I checked, the number corresponds with a 1944 Colt, not a Remington. What do I make of that?
  • #2
    major burnout
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2010
    • 3860

    Delete this^^^^ I'm sure they got the manufacturer's name right on the paperwork.
    Calguns- redacted more than Hillarys bengazi emails.

    Originally posted by rattlesnake_nm
    10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
    Originally posted by RickD427
    In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.

    Comment

    • #3
      Donkeypunch0420
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 1460

      Sounds like a RR slide and Colt frame. I'm certainly no expert though. Try the guys in the C&R forum if you get no good answers here.

      Comment

      • #4
        SkyHawk
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2012
        • 23531

        A picture is worth a thousand words. Post some when you can. Sounds like the FFL just read the slide and used that for the make. There should have been a hang tag that said the make of slide and the make of frame.

        You could ask them to submit a DROS correction after you verify, but I don't think it matters much. If a LEO ever runs the gun, they are going to do exactly the same thing - read the slide because the frame has no manufacturer name.

        There are probably hundreds of 'Colt 1911' listed in AFS that are really Essex or other frames.
        Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-26-2019, 1:52 PM.
        Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

        Comment

        • #5
          Ora Serrata
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2015
          • 1753

          Yes, It's most likely a Colt receiver and a Remington Rand slide.

          My CMP 1911a1 is a 1945 Remington Rand receiver with a Colt Slide. I ran the serial number before I DROS'd it and let my FFL know it was a Remington Rand receiver and that's what he DROS'd it as.

          Comment

          • #6
            beerman
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2009
            • 5208

            From all the 1911s I've seen coming out of the CPM, it seems the majority have mixed maker frames& slides...pretty typical of arsenal rebuilds as they didn't care what parts they pulled out of the refinished parts bins. Still a GI 1911A1 though.

            Comment

            • #7
              smle-man
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2007
              • 10606

              Originally posted by beerman
              From all the 1911s I've seen coming out of the CPM, it seems the majority have mixed maker frames& slides...pretty typical of arsenal rebuilds as they didn't care what parts they pulled out of the refinished parts bins. Still a GI 1911A1 though.
              Every GI 1911A1 I saw when I was in the Army was a mix of different maker's parts.

              Comment

              • #8
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Originally posted by smle-man
                Originally posted by beerman
                From all the 1911s I've seen coming out of the CPM, it seems the majority have mixed maker frames& slides...pretty typical of arsenal rebuilds as they didn't care what parts they pulled out of the refinished parts bins. Still a GI 1911A1 though.
                Every GI 1911A1 I saw when I was in the Army was a mix of different maker's parts.
                What they said.

                The CMP 1911s have mixed parts from different manufacturers, this was done when they were refurbished/rebuilt.


                CMP firearms rated as rack, field, service, and special grades all have mixed manufacturers parts.
                CMP firearms rated as correct and collector grades are the only grades that tends to have mostly (95%+) the same manufacturer's parts.
                Last edited by Quiet; 07-27-2019, 7:54 AM.
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                • #9
                  elk hunter
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • 2122

                  Originally posted by smle-man
                  Every GI 1911A1 I saw when I was in the Army was a mix of different maker's parts.
                  When I was in the Army I saw and handled hundreds upon hundreds of .45's and unless the were new unissued or just issued new they were pretty much all franken45's. No one care a bit about is it all correct or original or repairing with the makers parts all we cared about is was it a good working piece. A part is a part is a part if it's a good part.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Robert1234
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 3081

                    My Ithaca seems pretty complete. Frame, slide, barrel (HS stamped) and MSH all are what the interwebz says they should be.

                    Beyond that, it's going to take someone more informed than me to determine.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Brother_Hesekiel
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 771

                      I understand all of that. But what is being DROS'd is the receiver, the "frame," and if that frame is a Colt instead of a Remington, no matter what slide is on there, shouldn't I try to get this corrected?

                      Rephrased . . . if it was your gun, wouldn't you mind having a Remington with a serial number that belongs to a Colt?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        John Browning
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2006
                        • 8089

                        I would leave it as is. Your are going to have more problems with it registered as a Colt and saying Remington Rand.
                        For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                        For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                        Originally posted by KWalkerM
                        eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          elk hunter
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 2122

                          What ever it is stamped on the frame is what it is, it is possible there is a duplicate serial number on a Remington but I highly doubt it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bigmike82
                            Bit Pusher
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 3876

                            "My CMP 1911a1 is a 1945 Remington Rand receiver with a Colt Slide. I ran the serial number before I DROS'd it and let my FFL know it was a Remington Rand receiver and that's what he DROS'd it as."

                            I smell a trade coming up...
                            -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1