Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shipmygun.com UPS handgun shipping experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Terminator2
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2011
    • 357

    Shipmygun.com UPS handgun shipping experience

    Last month I shipped a pistol out of state to have it refinished. The refinishing company told me that I could save money on shipping if I used Shipmygun.com which is owned by Bud'sgunshop.com in Kentucky. I logged on to the site, put in my info, paid via credit card and they sent me a pdf to print my "next day air" mailing label for UPS. They don't provide boxes. Anyway, I took my packaged pistol to UPS Customer Service center, declared it as a handgun, and no muss no fuss they took it and the next day it was received. All went well. I calculated that I saved about $80 using Shipmygun.

    Two days ago I again used Shipmygun to the same refinisher have another pistol refinished. I bought my label as I did last time, got the pdf, printed the label, and packed up the pistol. Before leaving for the UPS store, I noticed that the printed label read "2nd day air". Well, I thought this odd, because I know that UPS regulations required shipped handguns to only go "next day air". Thinking an error was made I called Shipmygun and told them that the label should be "next day air" according to UPS regs. She asked me if I had received the pdf letter from a UPS senior sales rep that UPS and Shipmygun have a waiver to ship handguns 2nd day air. I told her that I did not get the letter. She said she would send it and that I should show it to the UPS counter worker. I got the letter, printed it and went to UPS. I gave them my package, told them it was a pistol and showed them the letter. They said they never heard of such a thing and that for all they knew the letter could be a fake and would not accept the package. Things went downhill from there. I asked them to call a supervisor and they did. The fist supervisior called never heard of such a waiver. The line of people now stacking up behind me are now getting pissed as I was holding everybody up. They then called a second supervisor, read them the letter and he immediately said accept the package. The counter guy was cool, but he told me that he would accept it but it was risky as it would not be afforded the same security that handguns via next day air receive. He said this will be going on a convair belt with $11 an hour guys looking at it rather than going on the truck by him. When I got home I called Shipmygun and told them the grief I got at UPS and that the website says handguns are shipped next day air and that they should not advertise next day air and deliver 2nd day air. I don't know if I want to use them again so ship a high $$ pistol again. Just wanted to let the community know what to expect.



    Last edited by Terminator2; 11-27-2020, 4:46 PM.
    sigpic
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson
  • #2
    Milsurp1
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 3091

    I use boxes that nobody would expect contains a Firearm, lamp boxes, kid products, etc. The destination on the label should not suggest a firearms company. I redact any gun related words.

    Comment

    • #3
      Terminator2
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jan 2011
      • 357

      I'm aware of that. Problem is, is that because it was insured as "High Value" so even if it wasn't thought to be a gun, it still had the higher probability of being ripped off per the UPS guy.
      sigpic
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
      -Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #4
        Fjold
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 23066

        Originally posted by Milsurp1
        I use boxes that nobody would expect contains a Firearm, lamp boxes, kid products, etc. The destination on the label should not suggest a firearms company. I redact any gun related words.

        That doesn't do any good, federal law says that you have to inform the shipper that the box contains a firearm.
        Frank

        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

        Comment

        • #5
          L84CABO
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2009
          • 8779

          Originally posted by Fjold
          That doesn't do any good, federal law says that you have to inform the shipper that the box contains a firearm.
          He only said he doesn't make the packaging obvious. He didn't mention anything about what he actually declares to the shipper.
          "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

          Fighter Pilot

          Comment

          • #6
            kcheung2
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 4387

            Informing the shipper means telling the person at the counter that the package contains a firearm. It doesn't have to mean writing on the box "THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS A FIREARM" or other obvious clues.

            As for the $11/hr people vs something else, did the counter guy expect you to believe that they have special people paid $22 (or whatever) that handle only express items? It all gets loaded on a conveyer by the same people & then it's machine sorted & then finally it's loaded on the respective truck by the same $11/hr people.
            ---------------------
            "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

            Comment

            • #7
              wpage
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2011
              • 6072

              Seems to be getting dicy no matter who you choose any more for moving the goods...

              The culture is not postive. These carriers should be focused on thier mission moving the goods for profit. Not all the confusion.
              God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
              John 3:16

              NRA,,, Lifer

              United Air Epic Fail Video ...

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

              Comment

              • #8
                Terminator2
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jan 2011
                • 357

                I'm only relating what the counter guy told me. I have no knowledge of the inner workings of UPS workers. Maybe he's feeding me bull****, I don't know what his motivation would be to do that as he works there and seemed to be concerned for the security of my package. My intent posting this thread was not to denigrate UPS workers, but trying to relate my experience so that others could learn from it. As far as the markings/address on the package, they were nondescript. But be informed that if you think you are paying for "next day air" make sure that's what the label they send you says.
                Last edited by Terminator2; 06-08-2019, 3:53 PM.
                sigpic
                "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                -Thomas Jefferson

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyHawk
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 23531

                  Some large volume firearms shippers have arrangements with the carriers to use other than next day air irrespective of the published policies. BECAUSE THERE IS NO LAW AGAINST IT. Sig ships all handguns 2nd day or even 3rd day air with Fedex each way to/from the customer.

                  It is apparent that Buds has such an arrangement with UPS, I’m not surprised considering they do so much legwork to make sure the guns are going to legit FFLs.

                  I don’t know if you raised the issue with them or they raised the issue with you. But it is best NOT to start off the tendering process with “look at this red flag”. I absolutely would not have shown the letter or made any mention at all about the ship method, unless and until someone made a stink about it. Just hand over the package.

                  Also IIRC there is no legal requirement to mention gun at all when tendering, if the gun is going interstate to a licensee (aka a mfg or FFL). There might still be a carrier requirement but there is no crime in not mentioning it. Yes the ATF FAQ says you do but that it a Faq that covers general scenarios not every possible scenario.
                  Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-08-2019, 5:30 PM.
                  Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    RobG
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 4887

                    So, how much was it to ship with them and from where to where?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      flyer898
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 2018

                      Tag
                      Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. So said somebody but not Mark Twain
                      "One argues to a judge, one does not argue with a judge." Me
                      "Never argue unless you are getting paid." CDAA
                      "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Terminator2
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 357

                        Bud's as an FFL certainly can ship other than next day, they can even ship USPS. They (UPS counter guy) raised the issue with me when they saw the label 2n day air and I said it was a handgun. That's when I showed them the letter and I was told by Shipmygun rep (owned by Bud's) to do that. UPS regs state that you must declare it to be a handgun. If I didn't, and it was stolen in transit, I'm sure that they have some clause that would deny my insurance compensation, not to mention a possible law suit if the pistol was used in a crime that injured or killed someone.

                        My main interest in bringing this issue up is to let folks here know that while I have used the shipmyguns company, they should correct their advertising.
                        sigpic
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Terminator2
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 357

                          Originally posted by RobG
                          So, how much was it to ship with them and from where to where?
                          San Jose to Alabama. $61.64 including insurance for $1,200. The UPS clerk figured it out to be a savings of about $12 (the cost of the insurance).
                          sigpic
                          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                          -Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Joeflyer
                            Junior Member
                            • Sep 2017
                            • 68

                            I paid $48.38, UPS, from the SF bay area to Glock in Georgia. Shipped on Thursday, delivered on Monday. Returned on the following Thursday.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Terminator2
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 357

                              In my initial post I attached a screen shot of their website from this morning.
                              sigpic
                              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                              -Thomas Jefferson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1