Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

States Ranked by Dependency on Firearms Industry

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TrappedinCalifornia
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2018
    • 10393

    States Ranked by Dependency on Firearms Industry

    This was put out by Yahoo Finance and the methodology is... not as clear as I'd like. Be that as it may...

    These are the U.S. states most and least dependent on the gun industry



    Let's just say that I wouldn't rely too heavily on how this data is interpreted.

    Make of it what you will.
  • #2
    Robotron2k84
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2017
    • 2013

    It's the same bogus data that relies on NFA registered weapons...complete junk.

    At least the graphic designer did themselves proud by using a Desert Eagle for the top graphic.

    Comment

    • #3
      TrappedinCalifornia
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2018
      • 10393

      Originally posted by Robotron2k84
      It's the same bogus data that relies on NFA registered weapons...complete junk.

      At least the graphic designer did themselves proud by using a Desert Eagle for the top graphic.
      That's the PART I'm 'uncomfortable' with. Just bear in mind that it's not ENTIRELY based on that data. It also incorporates jobs in the firearms industry, etc. That's the part which is not as clear as I'd like it to be, along with how each portion is weighted.

      Comment

      • #4
        homelessdude
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Aug 2013
        • 2143

        There are more NFA registered weapons in CA. than in Idaho, Nev., or AZ.? Doesn't sound right.

        Comment

        • #5
          audiophil2
          Senior Member
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2007
          • 8736

          Originally posted by homelessdude
          There are more NFA registered weapons in CA. than in Idaho, Nev., or AZ.? Doesn't sound right.
          includes LEO and movie guns.
          sigpic


          Private 10 acre range rentals
          [/URL]

          Comment

          • #6
            Back to Earth
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2014
            • 70

            Arkansas is soon to become a bit pinker.

            I come for the conflict -- but stay for the camaraderie.

            Comment

            • #7
              TrappedinCalifornia
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2018
              • 10393

              Originally posted by homelessdude
              There are more NFA registered weapons in CA. than in Idaho, Nev., or AZ.? Doesn't sound right.
              Read the article. It's about more than simply registered firearms...

              ...how the firearms industry contributed to the economic development of the state from jobs to sales, how prevalent guns were, and how far the state supported gun rights...
              Unfortunately, what they don't make clear in the piece is how those factors were evaluated, weighted, etc. Instead, they simply declare...

              Without making it clear, I think this article is a derivative of the actual report they link to at WalletHub. At that site, they provide more, specific insight into the methodology.

              In order to identify the states that most and least depend on the gun industry for economic stability, WalletHub compared the 50 states and across three key dimensions: 1) Firearms Industry, 2) Gun Prevalence and 3) Gun Politics.

              We evaluated those dimensions using 17 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights...
              I'm still a bit askance in terms of the sources they are relying on in those metrics. I think there are some implicit assumptions and glaringly obvious limitations involved with the data they are using which skew the results. On top of that, there appears to be a clear bias in one or more of the "Ask the Experts" questions.

              It's still something to mull over however.

              Comment

              • #8
                RobinGoodfellow
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2011
                • 841

                Also, Title is Wrong

                Originally posted by Robotron2k84
                It's the same bogus data that relies on NFA registered weapons...complete junk.

                At least the graphic designer did themselves proud by using a Desert Eagle for the top graphic.
                Also, the idiots got the title wrong. These states aren't dependent on firearms industry; the firearms industry is dependent on these states.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1