Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

LAPD Shooting - Hostage Dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JCHavasu
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2016
    • 672

    LAPD Shooting - Hostage Dead

    I apologize if this has been posted but I couldn't find it if so.

    I just saw this video yesterday, well actually just the body cam footage, not this extended version but this popped up on YouTube.

    LAPD responds to a call of a man with a knife. They try to use less lethal on the guy but he blocks the bean bag rounds with a folding chair. He then grabs a hostage and puts the knife to her throat. Officers fire about 18 rounds ultimately and kill the BG as well as the hostage.



    What an epic fail...

    Update: This was a June 16th shooting.
    Last edited by JCHavasu; 08-01-2018, 6:56 AM.
    "You fickers are all cray cray in my opinion. Non of you have an iQ over 80." - SandyCrotchSurfer aka SandyEggoSurf

    "News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • #2
    DolphinFan
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 2584

    10/15/2022 - Called to get on the list
    2/18/2023 - Interview set
    4/27/2023 - Class
    4/30/2023 - Live Scan
    5/9/2023 - Interview
    6/26/2023 - Approval Letter
    8/1/2023 - Issued

    Comment

    • #3
      BajaJames83
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2011
      • 6042

      what was the point of moving to letal force when you end up killing both of them....
      now if he had a gun and was using the hostage as a shield sure but while he was holding that hostage he was not a threat to anyone but that hostage.
      NRA Endowment Life Member
      USMC 2001-2012

      Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

      John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
      James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

      Comment

      • #4
        71MUSTY
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2014
        • 7029

        This may become the poster argument against Non-Lethal Force. If the LEO's had started with Lethal Force the hostage would never have been a hostage.


        I also love how her family had little to do with her as she was living in a homeless shelter but suddenly her loss will be worth millions to them.
        Only slaves don't need guns

        Originally posted by epilepticninja
        Americans vs. Democrats
        We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


        We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


        What doesn't kill me, better run

        Comment

        • #5
          Regular guy
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 691

          While watching the video I was thinking “ Why are you letting him get closer and closer to that woman??” I felt like the cops should have closed on him faster, and shot the guy before he made it to her. Of course it’s easier for me to sit here and judge their actions after the fact, and I have great respect for police.

          Comment

          • #6
            OCEquestrian
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2017
            • 6905

            Unfortunately, the marksmanship skills required of police officers has never been high.....and when combined with stress and adrenaline leads to these kinds of incidents.

            I know many LEO's with excellent, very advanced firearms skills but in my opinion these people are the exception, not the rule. In my personal experience, when talking to police officers attending training classes with me or those at IDPA matches, they report that most all their fellow officers only do the minimum firearms training required by the department. The reason I am told.. if they have to do it on their own time and their own dime, they simply dont / wont do it.
            "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

            Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

            NRA life member
            SAF life member
            CRPA member

            Comment

            • #7
              SAD338
              Banned
              • Mar 2018
              • 580

              Geez. That's some Spetsnatz skills right there.
              Still.. Crazy homeless people with their knives started the mess.

              Comment

              • #8
                71MUSTY
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2014
                • 7029

                Originally posted by BajaJames83
                what was the point of moving to letal force when you end up killing both of them....
                now if he had a gun and was using the hostage as a shield sure but while he was holding that hostage he was not a threat to anyone but that hostage.
                I was a bit confused by this also, actually not because they went to lethal force because obviously the Hostage's life was in jeopardy (he was applying enough pressure on the knife to cut her throat) but because it looked like they had a clean shot I'm not sure how they hit her unless they went to spray and pray.

                Many Government agencies are switching to 9mm to save on training costs. Is this the result they wanted?
                Last edited by 71MUSTY; 08-01-2018, 7:21 AM.
                Only slaves don't need guns

                Originally posted by epilepticninja
                Americans vs. Democrats
                We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


                We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


                What doesn't kill me, better run

                Comment

                • #9
                  steelholder
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3328

                  Originally posted by DolphinFan
                  The only thing different I would have done is used a rifle rather then a handgun.
                  While I feel for the victim, the perpetrator is the one to blame for Everything.
                  is the credit given before or after he mag dumps directly at the hostage....
                  WTB 3rd Gen SW also looking for a 22 pistol with 6" bbl or longer

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SmallShark
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 1395

                    if an office had a rifle, one shot to his head would have saved the woman's life.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JCHavasu
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2016
                      • 672

                      Agreed. The first time I watched the video I was thinking they should be moving up on the guy. Even before he moved next to her she was very close to their line of fire. Staying back by the car and letting the BG move up towards the woman was a horrible tactical decision. I am wondering if they were even thinking about her until the guy grabbed her.
                      "You fickers are all cray cray in my opinion. Non of you have an iQ over 80." - SandyCrotchSurfer aka SandyEggoSurf

                      "News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

                      "The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Red-Osier
                        Doesn't Abide
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2015
                        • 12284

                        When cops fail big time,sometimes you have to say they failed Bro.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          theLBC
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2017
                          • 7359

                          "drop the knife!"

                          dude, he dead!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Steve1968LS2
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 9275

                            lol.. you give them credit? wow..

                            Well, I guess they did save the hostage from being stabbed to death by gunning her down. That showed him!

                            So many things done wrong.. and yea, the bad guy is to blame, but the LAPD tactics were awful.

                            And his is a big dupe
                            Originally posted by tony270
                            It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                            Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Barbarosa
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 2166

                              I'm glad there are still men and women out there who are willing to make these life and death decisions. I don't know if the LEOs did everything correctly or not, but thank God I wasn't the one who had to pull the trigger.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1