Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo Purchases at Scheel's Reno

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gijoe212
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 33

    Ammo Purchases at Scheel's Reno

    I am curious if any Calif resident has had a recent experience trying to purchase ammo at Scheel's in Sparks/Reno Nevada. I am planning on going by there in the next couple of months and would like to purchase ammo so I can use it on a friend's property in the north part of Nevada.
  • #2
    Canucky
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 4265

    Mr Joe online bulk purchases. Even before the laws changed, buying from boarder stores was not really any savings. Sometime costing more. Have your friend order and have ammo shipped to HIS address. Google foo ammo prices from Scheel's and compare them from any top bulk online sellers. Example below.



    Last edited by Canucky; 07-24-2018, 7:42 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      DonTom
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 48

      Originally posted by gijoe212
      I am curious if any Calif resident has had a recent experience trying to purchase ammo at Scheel's in Sparks/Reno Nevada. I am planning on going by there in the next couple of months and would like to purchase ammo so I can use it on a friend's property in the north part of Nevada.
      I have purchased ammo in the Scheel's in Sparks, NV several times (I also live in Reno). IRCC, they don't check ID or anything for ammo, unlike Cabela's. I doubt you will have any problem. And even if they did check ID, I still don't think you will have any problem unless there is some new law that I am not aware of.

      They have a very large selection of ammo.

      -Don- Auburn, CA

      Comment

      • #4
        Dan_Eastvale
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2013
        • 10755

        The ONLY reason they would check ID is to verify your age... There is no law in Nevada, Utah, Arizona etc. preventing a sale to a non resident.

        They will only check ID if you look young..

        Comment

        • #5
          I Swan
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 8770

          I had a store in NV like 2 years ago whine about selling to ammo to a CA resident. Expect some shops to not want to especially now. They have no idea if you're going to shoot it in NV or smuggle it in to CA.

          But as long as you aren't in there blabbing about how you're going to bring it back to CA I don't see why they would care. I've purchased over 10 round magazines out of state but did not bring them back to CA I mail them to an out of state residence before I cross back to CA.

          Comment

          • #6
            iron330
            Member
            • May 2011
            • 415

            Just a heads-up in case any in California are unaware. SG ammo no longer sells to California. As of March 2018.

            Comment

            • #7
              DonTom
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 48

              Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
              The ONLY reason they would check ID is to verify your age... There is no law in Nevada, Utah, Arizona etc. preventing a sale to a non resident.

              They will only check ID if you look young..
              I must look very young when I buy my ammo at Cabela's. They ask for my ID every time. But I am only 68 years old!

              -Don- Auburn, CA

              Comment

              • #8
                boopiejones
                Senior Member
                • May 2014
                • 2044

                It’s not illegal to purchase ammo out of state. It’s only illegal to import it back into the state. Same goes for a lot of other stuff. - standard cap mags, gas cans that don’t leak, etc.
                my Benitez goes to 11

                Comment

                • #9
                  John Browning
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2006
                  • 8089

                  I am ammo law exempt but have bought at Cabela's many times with no ID required.
                  For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                  For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                  Originally posted by KWalkerM
                  eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DonTom
                    Junior Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 48

                    Originally posted by John Browning
                    I am ammo law exempt but have bought at Cabela's many times with no ID required.
                    The Cabela's in Verdi (near Reno)? I get asked every time.

                    However, Cabela's was recently bought out by Bass Pro Shops. That probably changed a few things.

                    But since then, they stopped all discounts on firearms. No Vet discount any more at Cabela's. So most of the changes are for the worse.

                    -Don- Auburn, CA

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      John Browning
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2006
                      • 8089

                      Originally posted by DonTom
                      The Cabela's in Verdi (near Reno)? I get asked every time.

                      However, Cabela's was recently bought out by Bass Pro Shops. That probably changed a few things.

                      But since then, they stopped all discounts on firearms. No Vet discount any more at Cabela's. So most of the changes are for the worse.

                      -Don- Auburn, CA
                      That's the one. I reload so I never buy much more than a couple of boxes of this or that, but I've never been asked for ID.
                      For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                      For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                      Originally posted by KWalkerM
                      eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cdtx2001
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 6630

                        I tried to buy ammo at Scheels several times. Each time they ask for my ID, and after showing them my CA DL, they tell me to wait and give me a free ride on the ferris wheel. When I step off, there's a store security guard waiting for me and they escort me to a back room for a cavity search. Last time, I demanded the hot girl that works in the fitness section do the search and they granted my request. I'll be heading back to Scheels several times a week after that.
                        Custom made Tail Gunner Trailer Hitch for sale.
                        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=17820185

                        "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

                        "A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bullets&Whitewalls
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2012
                          • 2380

                          I was in there last week. The prices are not so great. I would have your buddy buy online and ship it to his place for you. I wanted to try and pick up some 10 rd mags for my mini while I was there and quickly learned they don’t have very many makes of mags that small. Ah the free states. They did have a pretty cool sig pellet gun though, I may actually pick one of those up.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            beanz2
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12032

                            Originally posted by Bullets&Whitewalls
                            I was in there last week. The prices are not so great. I would have your buddy buy online and ship it to his place for you. I wanted to try and pick up some 10 rd mags for my mini while I was there and quickly learned they don’t have very many makes of mags that small. Ah the free states. They did have a pretty cool sig pellet gun though, I may actually pick one of those up.
                            Agree. Scheel's is not the cheapest out there. I go there just to check out the guns, then buy them online. For much less.

                            Originally posted by cdtx2001
                            I tried to buy ammo at Scheels several times. Each time they ask for my ID, and after showing them my CA DL, they tell me to wait and give me a free ride on the ferris wheel. When I step off, there's a store security guard waiting for me and they escort me to a back room for a cavity search. Last time, I demanded the hot girl that works in the fitness section do the search and they granted my request. I'll be heading back to Scheels several times a week after that.
                            So that was you doing all the squealing in the back room?

                            You ought to see the sweat running down that fat broad's face and arm pits when she came out, but wow, was she smiling!
                            sigpic
                            The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              aghauler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 4794

                              Originally posted by DonTom
                              I must look very young when I buy my ammo at Cabela's. They ask for my ID every time. But I am only 68 years old!

                              -Don- Auburn, CA
                              Do they, Cabela's, ask for your photo ID for ammo or just your phone number, for their demographic data base?

                              When I lived in Tahoe I got tired of them asking for a phone number so I just gave them the local PD non emergency number, all they really wanted was an area code.

                              Requiring a photo ID would be a different issue.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1