Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lining up pistol night sights... Fast.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SAD338
    Banned
    • Mar 2018
    • 580

    Originally posted by redcliff
    QFT

    This is why I prefer just a front sight dot (I like hybrid tritium/flourescent ones) on my carry pistols. Weapon lights are great if you can handle their size (some new ones are admirably small) and get them turned on in time. It would be interesting to know if police officers, when faced with needing to draw their weapon to return fire, actually find themselves manipulating the light switch or if they just return fire at the muzzle flashes and turn the light on later.
    What agency would train their officers to fire without identifying the threat first?

    Comment

    • #17
      BennyAdeline
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 1426

      Originally posted by cockedandglocked
      That is my "night sight" on my shotgun, and I love it! But sadly my handguns don't have it.
      I’ve been considering a RMR on my HD shotgun, but always convince myself it wouldn’t be much faster than point shooting or a quick bead at “in the home” distances.

      But I respect your opinion, so maybe I’ll do it!

      Comment

      • #18
        redcliff
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2008
        • 5676

        Originally posted by SAD338
        What agency would train their officers to fire without identifying the threat first?
        What agency trains their officers to not consider an adversary firing upon them as a threat and requires them to illuminate them with a light first when there may be sufficient ambient light to see the target? My question is whether they would purely react and rely upon their tritium front sight or would they first illuminate the target as the "must have a weapon light" crowd seems to insist upon. Armed conflict with firearms existed long before there were flashlights.
        "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
        "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
        "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

        "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
        although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

        Comment

        • #19
          tonyxcom
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2011
          • 6397

          If there is enough light to identify a target then the person you are about to shoot then their should provide enough contrast for you to see the outline of your sights.

          But you really should have a weapon light if you are going to make shots in the dark at a distance that requires aiming.

          Comment

          • #20
            Kmai24
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 1220

            Originally posted by SarcoBlaster
            How are you identifying your target if it's pitch black and all you can see are the tritium vials on your sights?

            I'd suggest investing in a quality handheld or weapon-mounted light. Once you turn the light on to ID your target, your sights will be silhouetted and it won't matter if they're plain, tritium, fiber optic, etc.
            Well said..night sights are over hyped in my honest opinion.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1