Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Range Report....went to "A Place to Shoot"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SkyStorm82
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1745

    Range Report....went to "A Place to Shoot"

    Went to the range yesterday and shot some of my guns for the first time and had a great time for the most part. One of my rifles, a Kel-tec SU16CA, gave me problems that kind of bummed me out though.

    I was using the new bushmaster 10 round mags(the kind that look like 20 rounders) and I couldn't get thru one mag without a failure to feed. I'd dump out the mag, pull the bolt back and have a look at the little misfit. On the side of the casing, would be a good size scrape from where it was stripped from the magazine. I should have kept one and taken a picture to post but it didn't cross my mind.

    This happened with every one of my bushmaster mags and with the plastic ones that come with the rifle.

    I was using ADCOM 223 and winchester white box 223...both resulted in failures to feed.

    I shot my new P2000 and really liked it. My thumbs kept hitting the slide release and keeping the slide from locking back when the mag empties...but that's my fault and something I just need to practice with. I'm used to the beretta 92FS I guess.

    Everything else went really good. I'll have to get a membership at that range.
    Strike Hold!
    2/504th P.I.R. White Devils
  • #2
    bu-bye
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2835

    Can you discribe your SU feeding problems more? Were the rounds not even making it into the chamber or was the bolt not closing all the way?
    "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."

    Comment

    • #3
      SkyStorm82
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 1745

      Originally posted by bu-bye
      Can you discribe your SU feeding problems more? Were the rounds not even making it into the chamber or was the bolt not closing all the way?

      The round would make it about half way out of the magazine and be sticking out at maybe a 20 deg. angle??? The bolt would not close all the way.
      Strike Hold!
      2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

      Comment

      • #4
        luvtolean
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 2063

        I had the same problem with those mags in my Kel Tec.

        Did you make sure they were seated by trying to pull them out after you seated them?

        I found it was due to the mags not being fully in, as they don't want to seat in properly. It's a real tight squeeze. You have to really slam them in.

        Comment

        • #5
          SkyStorm82
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1745

          Originally posted by luvtolean
          I had the same problem with those mags in my Kel Tec.

          Did you make sure they were seated by trying to pull them out after you seated them?

          I found it was due to the mags not being fully in, as they don't want to seat in properly. It's a real tight squeeze. You have to really slam them in.
          With the Bushmaster ones? I could have swore the bushmaster and the Kel-Tec mags were seated properly but I'll have to really make sure next time.

          Did you also have that scrape mark on the rounds. Right were the scrape begins is a very definite straight line...the scrape itself fades away as it gets closer to the bullet.
          Strike Hold!
          2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

          Comment

          • #6
            luvtolean
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 2063

            I had the exact issue you're talking about simply cycling it by hand.

            It was with the Bushy 20/10s. I thought it was fully seated. I cleared the gun and tried again and had a problem. I pulled down on the mag and it came out with a hard tug. I have two of the mags and I played with it for a while; they really don't want to seat all the way in. I haven't taken it to the range with these mags, been playing with my OLL stuff.

            The plastic mags suck too...those stupid things...if you slam them home in a mag change, half the freakin rounds blow past the feed lips.

            The little carbine does shoot nice and straight, and pre-OLL, it was IMO the best .223 weapon we could get.

            Edit: BTW, I love a place to shoot. My favorite range in So-Cal, but it is a drive from LA/OC.
            Last edited by luvtolean; 10-06-2006, 2:09 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyStorm82
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 1745

              Originally posted by luvtolean

              The little carbine does shoot nice and straight, and pre-OLL, it was IMO the best .223 weapon we could get.
              I love the thing when it actually shoots. Now if I can just get it to do that everytime I pull the trigger....
              Strike Hold!
              2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

              Comment

              • #8
                blacklisted
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2608

                The feed lips on the Bushmaster mag are a bit tight at first so they do leave lines on the case. This stops happening after a bit of wear occurs.

                Originally posted by SkyStorm82
                With the Bushmaster ones? I could have swore the bushmaster and the Kel-Tec mags were seated properly but I'll have to really make sure next time.

                Did you also have that scrape mark on the rounds. Right were the scrape begins is a very definite straight line...the scrape itself fades away as it gets closer to the bullet.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyStorm82
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 1745

                  Originally posted by blacklisted
                  The feed lips on the Bushmaster mag are a bit tight at first so they do leave lines on the case. This stops happening after a bit of wear occurs.
                  The scrapes on my rounds were horizontal to the bullet...they didn't run the length of the casing. That's why I'm thinking it has to do with the bolt.
                  Strike Hold!
                  2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bu-bye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2835

                    I use the bushy 10rd mags with the plastic bottom in my SU-16ca and have not had any problems. I have no idea where the horizonal lines come from though. That is a little fishy
                    "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SkyStorm82
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 1745

                      Ok...I found this on ktog.org

                      All,

                      I took my CA out for breaking in at South bay rod & gun for those of you in San Diego.

                      I followed the Les Baer break in proceedure posted in the articles section of ktrange.com.

                      Now for the shooting, It took the first 20 rounds or so to get my bushnell scope on target at 50 yards. Once sited in at 50 I worked on break in. I was shooting HSM reload 55gr FMJBT. During the first 100 rounds I had one stove piple and several failures to feed.

                      The FTF seemed to be the case getting hung up on the ring that the bolt locks into. I would drop the mag and pull the handle extracting the round it seemed to have a small amount of brass shaved off the side. I suspect that the parkerizing on the lock ring is causing rounds to hang up.

                      As the shooting progressed this happend less often. I suspect I will see it go away entirely after 500 rounds or so. Has anyone had a similar experience?

                      I moved out to 100yrds and finished sighting the scope. I did some rapid fire with no issues. Over all a great time!
                      Strike Hold!
                      2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        blacklisted
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2608

                        Originally posted by SkyStorm82
                        The scrapes on my rounds were horizontal to the bullet...they didn't run the length of the casing. That's why I'm thinking it has to do with the bolt.
                        Can you strip the SU-16 and take a pic of the bottom of the bolt? Maybe bu-bye can compare it to his.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SkyStorm82
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1745

                          Originally posted by blacklisted
                          Can you strip the SU-16 and take a pic of the bottom of the bolt? Maybe bu-bye can compare it to his.
                          Yeah...I can do that. Won't be until later tonight though.
                          Strike Hold!
                          2/504th P.I.R. White Devils

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bu-bye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 2835

                            As requested.......

                            i posted links rather then post the images because they are in large format for better detail.



                            "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              opsgtr
                              Junior Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 13

                              Not Fun...

                              I took my SU16CA out to the range when I first got it and I couldn't get through one 10rd mag without the same issues. And the horizontal scrape, too! I used the Kel Tec mags and the "Bushie" - same problems. I sent the rifle back to KelTec with a very specific explanation of the isseus. I got it back about 2 weeks later with a technicians' note of "Ejector replaced and test fired".

                              So, off to the range I go, looking forward to finally enjoying shooting with this thing. (Just a note here, I only use factory new ammo, Remington and Winchester). So I get through about 7 rounds and I'm thinking, it's all good- then...same exact issues. Over and over again...except this time, in addition, I had the bullet fire and the casing get lodged in the breech...twice!!!

                              Well, I contacted Kel Tec, and tried to calm about it, but I stated that there was no way I was paying for shipping again. They paid for the shipping and apologized, saying that they never had this problem before after replacing the extractor...yeah, whatever.

                              So, now I wait (this is week 2) for the return of the rifle that would not fire correctly...I'm really thinking it's time to buy an upper and make my AR build. I really wanted to like the Kel Tec, but I'm gonna have hard time telling anyone to even think about getting one...unless they want to buy mine

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1