Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Legal ramifications with "lost gun"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jfwlb
    WooHoo! Free at Last!
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2007
    • 989

    Legal ramifications with "lost gun"

    I have a question and think I know the answer but I would like other points of view. Mods if this is not the right forum feel free to move.

    Approx 2 weeks ago I bought and ppt'd a S&W pistol from another Calgunner and all was well.

    Today I go to break my new purchase out of jail and the ffl says they can't find it. Does this have any negative impact on me? I have been buying guns for almost 50 years and have never had this happen before. The ffl wants me to wait while they search and view their cameras. I know they are screwed as an ffl if it does not turn up, but do I have to report it as stolen within the 5 day period?

    I will not out the ffl as they have said they will take care of me either way, I just want some opinions on my ramifications.

    Thanks,
    John
    And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."
  • #2
    mshill
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 4483

    Originally posted by jfwlb
    I have a question and think I know the answer but I would like other points of view. Mods if this is not the right forum feel free to move.

    Approx 2 weeks ago I bought and ppt'd a S&W pistol from another Calgunner and all was well.

    Today I go to break my new purchase out of jail and the ffl says they can't find it. Does this have any negative impact on me? I have been buying guns for almost 50 years and have never had this happen before. The ffl wants me to wait while they search and view their cameras. I know they are screwed as an ffl if it does not turn up, but do I have to report it as stolen within the 5 day period?

    I will not out the ffl as they have said they will take care of me either way, I just want some opinions on my ramifications.

    Thanks,
    John
    That totally sucks. I'm interested to see comments from other ffls.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

    Comment

    • #3
      BAJ475
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2014
      • 5211

      Originally posted by jfwlb
      I have a question and think I know the answer but I would like other points of view. Mods if this is not the right forum feel free to move.

      Approx 2 weeks ago I bought and ppt'd a S&W pistol from another Calgunner and all was well.

      Today I go to break my new purchase out of jail and the ffl says they can't find it. Does this have any negative impact on me? I have been buying guns for almost 50 years and have never had this happen before. The ffl wants me to wait while they search and view their cameras. I know they are screwed as an ffl if it does not turn up, but do I have to report it as stolen within the 5 day period?

      I will not out the ffl as they have said they will take care of me either way, I just want some opinions on my ramifications.

      Thanks,
      John
      I do not think that you could report it as stolen, because it was never in your possession. Theft is usually an unlawful taking from one who has lawful possession. I do not see any ramifications that would adversely effect you. The FFL must report it stolen if they are unable to find it.

      Comment

      • #4
        splithoof
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2015
        • 6028

        Wondering who's name would come up in a LE query if the weapon in question is ever found and checked.
        Because there is no delivery data showing that the transaction was finalized through pick-up, I think you would be safe from that during a criminal investigation.
        Hopefully the FFL has simply misplaced it somewhere in his inventory, and after a detailed house cleaning, it will show up.

        Comment

        • #5
          heidad01
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 4902

          Originally posted by splithoof
          Wondering who's name would come up in a LE query if the weapon in question is ever found and checked.
          Because there is no delivery data showing that the transaction was finalized through pick-up, I think you would be safe from that during a criminal investigation.
          Hopefully the FFL has simply misplaced it somewhere in his inventory, and after a detailed house cleaning, it will show up.
          This. ^^^

          Not delivered to you. You are clear from being the owner. You need to sign the form before they hand you the gun, which you have not. The FFL can cancel the dros if the gun is not found. Then replacement hassle is the main worry.

          Good luck. Hope it is found.

          Comment

          • #6
            9mmrevolver
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1477

            I would think they would make viewing the video their top priority. Like watching it when they realized they couldn’t find the gun.

            Comment

            • #7
              Chute&Shoot
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 90

              Or it could be they know employees take guns to the range to play with and are waiting for its return. And I know of no ffls that would allow that but did read a thread on here I think that described one that did.
              Sucks hope you get your gun.

              Comment

              • #8
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Penal Code 26885
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                • #9
                  edgerly779
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 19871

                  FFL on the hook not your firearm.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jfwlb
                    WooHoo! Free at Last!
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 989

                    Thanks for all the replies.

                    I forgot about the final step of the dros process, so I do think it is on the FFL, not me.
                    I thought it a little strange that they were not looking at the video right away also. We shall see.

                    John
                    And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Califpatriot
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2016
                      • 2438

                      Originally posted by heidad01
                      This. ^^^

                      Not delivered to you. You are clear from being the owner. You need to sign the form before they hand you the gun, which you have not. The FFL can cancel the dros if the gun is not found. Then replacement hassle is the main worry.

                      Good luck. Hope it is found.
                      I can't remember, do you have to do a thumbprint when they hand you the gun or just sign?
                      In case it wasn't obvious, nothing I write here should be interpreted as legal advice.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        The Shootist
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 1796

                        Just curious as to what kind of gun is it? Once you get more Info. I wouldn’t mind knowing what ffl this was so I can avoid dealings with? Hope they find it or at least find out what happened. Sucks for you to say the least...
                        NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
                        CRPA MEMBER
                        FIREARMS POLICY COALITION MEMBER
                        CGN CONTRIBUTOR

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FalconLair
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3985

                          Originally posted by jfwlb
                          Thanks for all the replies.

                          I forgot about the final step of the dros process, so I do think it is on the FFL, not me.
                          I thought it a little strange that they were not looking at the video right away also. We shall see.

                          John
                          yeah, let them handle it, you're not at risk at all
                          Originally posted by Barang
                          I! hate! you! FalconLair.
                          Originally posted by JagerDog
                          I hate you FalconLair!
                          Originally Posted by JTROKS
                          I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
                          Originally posted by gcvt
                          They hate you FalconLair
                          Originally posted by Greta
                          HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jfwlb
                            WooHoo! Free at Last!
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 989

                            Update!The shop was closed on Sunday, but they called me within minutes of opening up today. My gun was found, just stored under the seller's name instead of mine. Suffice to say they did make it right and I am very pleased with the way they handled it.This was my first time dealing with this FFL and I have to say they did the right thing. I would not hesitate to deal with them again.

                            John
                            And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              IVC
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 17640

                              Originally posted by jfwlb
                              Update!The shop was closed on Sunday, but they called me within minutes of opening up today. My gun was found, just stored under the seller's name instead of mine. Suffice to say they did make it right and I am very pleased with the way they handled it.This was my first time dealing with this FFL and I have to say they did the right thing. I would not hesitate to deal with them again.

                              John
                              That's understandable on both counts - mistakes do happen, AND, when it's an honest mistake, the party who made the mistake will go out of their way to make sure the other party understands it was unintentional.

                              Glad it all worked out in the end.
                              sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1