Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is it just me, or does Ballistol just plain stink?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wurger
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 1433

    Is it just me, or does Ballistol just plain stink?

    So I picked up a CZ Evo Scorpion Carbine. The manual recommends using Ballistol, so I tracked some down and used it.

    That "feces" just plain stinks. I opened my safe a couple of days later and it reeked. I had to re-clean the gun with other cleaners to get that rank stank out of my safe.

    Just me, or does anyone else not like the smell of that stuff?

    First world problem, I know, but...
  • #2
    John Henry
    Member
    • Oct 2015
    • 117

    Actually, I use it all the time and I rather like the smell. To each his own.

    Comment

    • #3
      6079Winston
      Member
      • Jun 2007
      • 368

      I have a few friends that like the smell but one, curiously a German, can't stand it. The aversion, while somewhat rare, appears to cause near homicidal rage.

      Comment

      • #4
        wurger
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 1433

        Originally posted by 6079Winston
        I have a few friends that like the smell but one, curiously a German, can't stand it. The aversion, while somewhat rare, appears to cause near homicidal rage.
        Didn't cause homicidal rage, but I really, really, really, really, don't like cleaning guns. The stank of the Ballistol drove me to re-clean a clean gun. That has NEVER happened before.

        I'm about 30% German. Might be something there.

        Comment

        • #5
          Eureka1911
          Member
          • Dec 2017
          • 367

          Originally posted by John Henry
          Actually, I use it all the time and I rather like the smell. To each his own.
          Me too. Like they say, YMMV

          Comment

          • #6
            jtv3062
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2770

            Originally posted by wurger
            So I picked up a CZ Evo Scorpion Carbine. The manual recommends using Ballistol, so I tracked some down and used it.

            That "feces" just plain stinks. I opened my safe a couple of days later and it reeked. I had to re-clean the gun with other cleaners to get that rank stank out of my safe.

            Just me, or does anyone else not like the smell of that stuff?

            First world problem, I know, but...
            It's you.
            Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
            Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






            159

            Comment

            • #7
              baranski
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2015
              • 3852

              I like the smell (anise like), my wife says it smells like sheet.
              Originally posted by ACfixer
              there's plenty of sissies and snitches roaming the hallways here.

              Comment

              • #8
                NIKSD
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2013
                • 1126

                I use it all the time, the smell doesn’t bother me.
                https://jpfo.org/articles-assd03/jew-without-gun.htm

                -If communism doesn't work, why do so many people support it?
                -Because they don't work either.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tbc
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5955

                  It is stink but my nose got use to it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    200Apples
                    -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 7217

                    I like the smell (anise like), my wife says it smells like sheet.
                    You're both right. It smells like anis.

                    But, seriously...


                    One reason the scent of Ballistol might chafe some folks' olfactory experience is that it was all made during WWI. Some of the claimed "natural" ingredients have turned rancid in the ensuing years...

                    I jest. Kinda.
                    .
                    "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                    NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      maggie06
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 669

                      Only thing I use, good for just about everything, leather, metal, wood. Why complicate life?

                      Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
                      "Let's play tic-tac-toe"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Pretty fly for a Cabinetguy
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Feb 2016
                        • 4388

                        I can tell when the ole shotty needs to be lubed by the lack of the aroma of the Ballistol stink...er...odor...er...sweet smell. Actually, I sorta like it.
                        Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          81turbota
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 2956

                          It's smells like a geriatric men's room at a gym, but it works really well.

                          It stinks but I have 3 cans of it ready to use.
                          C&R nut.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            559BearDown
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2014
                            • 1555

                            I've always thought it smells like dirty socks but I won't use anything else.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Svashtar
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2017
                              • 936

                              "Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

                              sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member
                              NRA Certified Instructor
                              CRPA Life Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1