Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Private Sales Of Multiple Guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • timeexposure
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2016
    • 596

    Private Sales Of Multiple Guns

    I am looking for advice for selling multiple pistols. My interest "exploded" over the last year, and I have acquired too many.

    I wish to eliminate thirty pistols from the collection, keeping only a couple with high sentimental value, a couple carry pistols, and a home defense pistol that rises above all others as my favorite pistol to operate (the CZ P10C for those who are curious).

    As a resident of California/Kommiefornia...however you spell it, I am limited to five Private Party Transactions per calendar year (but I'm allowed to buy as many as I want via PPT? California law-gic at it's finest).

    The only ideas I have are these: When I list the pistols for sale, I require the buyer to choose two or more guns for purchase on the same PPT. This will move at least ten pistols for one year, which represents only a third of the collection.

    This seems to me a small amount over a long period. It also seems a difficult proposition as most buyers will likely be interested in one pistol at a time. A requirement to purchase two or more on the same PPT may not be a successful/ reasonable sales tactic.

    The only other idea I have is to sell a large group of pistols to a reseller. I suspect this will net me pennies on the dollar, and I would rather keep the pistols than sell for prices I'm likely to be offered by a reseller.

    Any other ideas?
  • #2
    simonp
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1989

    "If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

    Comment

    • #3
      boopiejones
      Senior Member
      • May 2014
      • 2044

      I'd start with the "must buy two or more" rule and see where that gets you. Mainly because I dread the thought of having to meet 30 people to sell 30 individual guns. I'm sure you'll run into some flaky buyers, so that 30 trips becomes 40 or more really fast. Unless you're retired or have an extremely flexible work schedule, that's going to be a pain in the butt not to mention a lot of money spent on gas.

      Although people might be looking for a deal if they are buying multiples, I think that works out for everyone. Less trips to meet with buyers for you, and you get your cash much quicker vs selling the guns one at a time.
      Last edited by boopiejones; 10-24-2017, 8:37 AM.
      my Benitez goes to 11

      Comment

      • #4
        NYT
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2011
        • 3811

        Originally posted by boopiejones
        I'd start with the "must buy two or more" rule and see where that gets you. Mainly because I dread the thought of having to meet 30 people to sell 30 individual guns. I'm sure you'll run into some flaky buyers, so that 30 trips becomes 40 or more really fast.

        Although people might be looking for a deal if they are buying multiples, I think that works out for everyone. Less trips to meet with buyers for you, and you get your cash much quicker vs selling the guns one at a time.
        yup. madoka comes to mind, maybe he will take your collection off your hands. i may take a few as well.

        Comment

        • #5
          timeexposure
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2016
          • 596

          I appreciate the advice. I even "get" what you are saying and I have heard it before. However, just for the record, I am seeking advice that does not include the following before "...the law:"

          Break. Ignore. Challenge. Test. Screw. Here's how to avoid. Don't worry about.

          And other similar suggestions.

          Comment

          • #6
            smittty
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 6266

            I did this three times in the last several years, but each batch was between 75 to 100.

            Trying to sell more than 3 guns on calguns will be a nightmare let alone a batch of 30.

            My advice, divide them into three batches of ten and bring to three of your favorite FFL’s for consignment.

            Comment

            • #7
              simonp
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 1989

              Originally posted by timeexposure
              I appreciate the advice. I even "get" what you are saying and I have heard it before. However, just for the record, I am seeking advice that does not include the following before "...the law:"

              Break. Ignore. Challenge. Test. Screw. Here's how to avoid. Don't worry about.

              And other similar suggestions.
              ok - good luck with that

              You are left with three options then, post and insist on multiple purchases each time, if you are adhering to the law and have 30 guns then you need each buyer to buy 6 guns at a time and that means you cant buy any PPT guns next year - frankly your odds of that are about the same as winning the lottery

              Second choice take them all to your favorite FFL that does consignments and book them in to them, counts as one transaction, they can deal with the hassle of selling them one at a time, it will take a good while and you will lose 20-25% depending on the FFL's policies

              Three, post them for sale on out of state forums, gunbroker, etc, if you sell them that way it is a FFL to FFL or dealer transaction not a PPT, but you will lose money on the FFL charge, shipping and lower prices for your guns outside of California.
              "If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

              Comment

              • #8
                simonp
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1989

                Agreed! One at a time is challenging, I wouldnt even start to consider 30 and finding buyers who want more than one of those thirty!
                "If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

                Comment

                • #9
                  timeexposure
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2016
                  • 596

                  I was advised that consignment items are still subject to a max five PPT per year. Is this not correct?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cypriss32
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 5987

                    "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
                    -- Thomas Paine


                    Comment

                    • #11
                      smittty
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 6266

                      Originally posted by timeexposure
                      I was advised that consignment items are still subject to a max five PPT per year. Is this not correct?
                      No, this would be three transactions. The FFL is doing the 30 transactions.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Blade Gunner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 4422

                        Originally posted by timeexposure
                        I am looking for advice for selling multiple pistols. My interest "exploded" over the last year, and I have acquired too many.

                        I wish to eliminate thirty pistols from the collection, keeping only a couple with high sentimental value, a couple carry pistols, and a home defense pistol that rises above all others as my favorite pistol to operate (the CZ P10C for those who are curious).

                        As a resident of California/Kommiefornia...however you spell it, I am limited to five Private Party Transactions per calendar year (but I'm allowed to buy as many as I want via PPT? California law-gic at it's finest).

                        The only ideas I have are these: When I list the pistols for sale, I require the buyer to choose two or more guns for purchase on the same PPT. This will move at least ten pistols for one year, which represents only a third of the collection.

                        This seems to me a small amount over a long period. It also seems a difficult proposition as most buyers will likely be interested in one pistol at a time. A requirement to purchase two or more on the same PPT may not be a successful/ reasonable sales tactic.

                        The only other idea I have is to sell a large group of pistols to a reseller. I suspect this will net me pennies on the dollar, and I would rather keep the pistols than sell for prices I'm likely to be offered by a reseller.

                        Any other ideas?
                        You wouldn’t happen to have a CZ RAMI BD (decocker version).
                        Last edited by Blade Gunner; 10-24-2017, 9:21 AM.
                        If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it all wrong.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          smittty
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 6266

                          Originally posted by Cypriss32
                          I wouldn’t do consignment or sell them as a “collection.” Post them up and sell them. Try to sell as many in one possible transaction as possible. It worked good for me. No issues.
                          Answering private messages for 3 guns is a nightmare let alone for having 30 guns listed!

                          People get real stupid when they think they were first in line. It’s not worth the time or hassle, and you’d obviously be over your 5 transactions limit.

                          It’s not worth the hassle, plus your FFL’s will love you for bringing them used inventory not subject to the 30 day rule!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            metalhead
                            Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 444

                            Instead of selling large group of pistols to a reseller, I wonder if you can list them and sell them on gunbroker to buyers in other states ? I dont think selling on GB would be considered as CA PPT as you will ship them to a receiving FFL in other states.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ten888
                              Senior Member
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Dec 2016
                              • 1643

                              "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Niebuhr

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1