Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What is a definitive "tiger gun"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DonaldBabbett
    Banned
    • Aug 2014
    • 828

    What is a definitive "tiger gun"?

    Please name a make, model, caliber/gauge, barrel length, stock configuration and gun type
    that is definitive in each of the following categories:

    1. tiger gun (think of old-fashioned Indian hunts on elephant back as in the Beatles' Bungalow Bill song)

    2. buffalo gun (hint: it looks like a double-barreled shotgun and often appears in cowboy pictures)

    3. elephant gun (hint: it looks like a double-barreled shotgun and has large center-fire rifle calibers, think of classic African safaris in Teddy Roosevelt's time)

    4. bird gun (hint: always a double-barreled shotgun smaller than 12 gauge)

    5. cowboy gun (there are several here in pistol, rifle and shotgun versions: name one or more of each gun type)

    6. coyote gun

    7. fox gun

    8. rabbit gun

    9. squirrel gun

    10. bear gun
    Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 10-19-2017, 8:59 PM.
  • #2
    osis32
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2009
    • 5912

    I'd take a Beowulf or something huge with a decent sized mag. leave nothing to chance
    Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

    Comment

    • #3
      DonaldBabbett
      Banned
      • Aug 2014
      • 828

      Originally posted by osis32
      I'd take a Beowulf or something huge with a decent sized mag. leave nothing to chance

      But all joking aside, what might have Bungalow Bill (that all-American, bullet-headed Saxon mother's son aka "Captain Marvel") packed in the jungle where the mighty tiger lies to zap that striped cat right between the eyes (if he were that good of a shot)?

      Comment

      • #4
        GW
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2004
        • 16078

        Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
        But all joking aside, what might have Bungalow Bill (that all-American, bullet-headed Saxon mother's son aka "Captain Marvel") packed in the jungle where the mighty tiger lies to zap that striped cat right between the eyes (if he were that good of a shot)?
        Something in a Nitro caliber and a Howdah pistol.
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #5
          DonaldBabbett
          Banned
          • Aug 2014
          • 828

          Originally posted by GW
          Something in a Nitro caliber and a Howdah pistol.
          Might an elephant gun make a proper tiger gun?

          Are proper tiger guns double-barreled?

          Comment

          • #6
            SkyHawk
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2012
            • 23531

            For number 1 (tiger gun), the question is who saw who first. If you spotted the tiger first at range, and he doesn't see you - you have a multitude of options.

            But if the tiger spotted you first and stalked you, and you only see him 3 seconds before he is up on the elephant and has you by the neck, that is a different gun. The classic gun for that scenario is a double barrel shotgun, 12" barrels, 12 or 10ga, pistol grip only (like a raptor grip).



            Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM.
            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

            Comment

            • #7
              sealocan
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2012
              • 9956

              I would use an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock for everything listed.




              ... But I'm a gambler like that.


              Comment

              • #8
                DonaldBabbett
                Banned
                • Aug 2014
                • 828

                Originally posted by SkyHawk
                For number 1 (tiger gun), the question is who saw who first. If you spotted the tiger first at range, and he doesn't see you - you have a multitude of options.

                But if the tiger spotted you first and stalked you, and you only see him 3 seconds before he has you by the neck, that is a different gun. The classic gun for that scenario is a double barrel shotgun, 12" barrels, 12 or 10ga, pistol grip (like a raptor grip) only.
                Of course on a classic tiger hunt in India, I would be perched upon my lofty elephant saddle for protection. The elephant not only provides transportation but is a trusty bodyguard against surprise cat attacks.

                I think a double-barreled rifle in safari caliber with express sights might work well, a .375 Holland & Holland or a .400-something. The lion gun might also be a tiger gun.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyHawk
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 23531

                  Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                  Of course on a classic tiger hunt in India, I would be perched upon my lofty elephant saddle for protection. The elephant not only provides transportation but is a trusty bodyguard against surprise cat attacks.

                  I think a double-barreled rifle in safari caliber with express sights might work well, a .375 Holland & Holland or a .400-something. The lion gun might also be a tiger gun.
                  Watch that video I linked. The dude is on an elephant. I'm not sure he still had both hands after the land shark tiger emerged from the grass. He's lucky to get away with only a ground beef patty for a hand after it was said and done. That stick or whatever he threw was useless, but a double barrel shorty would have given him a chance.
                  Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DonaldBabbett
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014
                    • 828

                    Originally posted by SkyHawk
                    Watch that video I linked. The dude is on an elephant. I'm not sure he still had both hands after the land shark tiger emerged from the grass. He's lucky to get away with only a ground beef patty for a hand after it was said and done. That stick or whatever he threw was useless, but a double barrel shorty would have given him a chance.
                    I don't think that elephant was trained to guard properly. The cat jumped high and the elephant seemed to have ignored him altogether. If memory serves me correctly, the elephant should take some action to protect the human rider from a big cat that thinks he is a bird.

                    I never knew those big tigers could leap so damn high!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kenl
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 1723

                      A howdah pistol was the original tiger pistol

                      From wikipedia "The howdah pistol was a large-calibre handgun, often with two or four barrels, used in India and Africa from the beginning of the nineteenth century, and into the early twentieth century, during the period of British Colonial rule. It was typically intended for defence against tigers, lions, and other dangerous animals"


                      Hickok45 did a review on a replica recently
                      sigpic

                      California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        emtmark
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 2494

                        Me thinks a double barreled pirate gun


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jcourson
                          Member
                          • Mar 2014
                          • 491

                          The answer for all of those is clearly a 45-70.
                          Of course, for rabbits and squirrels you would just use it as a club.
                          Originally posted by Ant45
                          Plenty of people who don't frequent internet forums are blissfully unaware that their guns suck.
                          I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bansh88
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 2500

                            No "Monkey Gun"? Lame list

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              IVC
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 17640

                              In before a fanboy says "Glock to all of the above."
                              sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1