Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

USPS Refusal to Accept Rifle for Shipment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    k1dude
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2009
    • 15950

    Originally posted by Librarian
    It's well known that UPS is willing to ship guns only at their hubs.

    It's a dumb way to do business, but it's their business.
    My local hub refuses to ship guns.

    I've had USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex refuse guns.
    "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

    Comment

    • #32
      Jimi Jah
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2014
      • 19281

      The 2nd amendment does not apply to the United States Post Office.

      Comment

      • #33
        Bobby Ricigliano
        Mit Gott und Mauser
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2011
        • 17439

        Originally posted by Cortelli
        I had a pistol returned to me after warranty work from S&W sent via Fed Ex. It happened to ship (after weeks at S&W) while I was out of the country, and I wouldn't be back to accept shipment and sign within 3 days of the original delivery date, and no one over 18 would be around to sign and accept the shipment (which meant it would be returned to S&W). I was able to ask FedEx to instead deliver to a FedEx retail location and hold for me, which they would do for 5 business days instead of three biz day delivery attempts. I asked to do this via a FedEx app, and then got a call from FedEx to verify my instructions. They held it no problem at a retail location (ex Kinko's location) and I picked it up without issue. May be, like other stories in this thread, that it is variable depending on how informed the local folks are, and how informed the corporate FedEx folks tasked on the issue are.
        I am glad it worked for you, but it is a testament to the random chaos you encounter in these places. I had Garands and CMP spam cans sent to my local Fed Ex for will call several times without incident. I opted out of the home delivery because I could not commit to sitting at home for the entire day waiting for the packages. The last time, my CMP ammo was refused by one Fed Ex employee from the other Fed Ex employee who was trying to deliver it.

        I have also noticed that UPS drivers are nearly always older experienced employees who look to have worked their way up to being drivers. The Fed Ex drivers often seem to be young kids who could not possibly have much tenure at all.

        Comment

        • #34
          CALI-gula
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2006
          • 7221

          Originally posted by P5Ret
          The local postal inspector does not have the authority to bypass national regulations. That was an excuse by who ever was at the counter. You should have asked to speak to the post master in charge of the facility.
          This plus 1+++

          That is one person's personal and political views interpreting doctrine without knowing what their employer or laws allow.

          Same thing happened to me years ago (before 9/11) with an airline. Tickets in hand, checking bags, guns cased according to TSA and NRA-ENDORSED airline's requirements, standing at the counter and declared I had guns in baggage in order to do unloaded-check. She dismissed me with "we don't allow guns" and told me to step out of line or she was going to call security, "that I would not be flying with guns that day." I called out the supervisor who quickly sent the employee on a break, then handled me personally. Ended right as rain.

          .
          ------------------------

          Comment

          • #35
            Bobby Ricigliano
            Mit Gott und Mauser
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2011
            • 17439

            Originally posted by CALI-gula
            This plus 1+++

            That is one person's personal and political views interpreting doctrine without knowing what their employer or laws allow.

            Same thing happened to me years ago (before 9/11) with an airline. Tickets in hand, checking bags, guns cased according to TSA and NRA-ENDORSED airline's requirements, standing at the counter and declared I had guns in baggage in order to do unloaded-check. She dismissed me with "we don't allow guns" and told me to step out of line or she was going to call security, "that I would not be flying with guns that day." I called out the supervisor who quickly sent the employee on a break, then handled me personally. Ended right as rain.

            .
            There is no shame in not knowing something, and calling a supervisor for assistance. But when they just BS people to mask incompetence, it makes customers angry.

            Comment

            • #36
              ACfixer
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2012
              • 6093

              I thought it was illegal to bring a gun onto post office property in the first place. Like we can't even park in the parking lot with a CCW and lock the gun in the car.... What am I missing here?
              Buy made in USA whenever possible.

              Comment

              • #37
                Blade Gunner
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 4422

                Originally posted by calgunguy
                Little surprises me in this state any more, especially when it comes to the general population's ignorance and fear of firearms. But when I go to the local post office to ship a rifle out of state and they refuse to accept the package because the "local Postal Inspector considers it a security concern", well WTF. Firearms are called out as "hazardous" items in the postal regs so the law-abiding have to cop to their being in a package. Ironically, the postal regs also speak directly to rifles and shotguns being "mailable" items. But a minor bureaucrat can turn both reason and regulation upside down. Seems the law comes in second to both political correctness and capricious enforcement/interpretation. The USPS supervisor encouraged me to use UPS or FEDEX. Your government at work for you.

                I want to be proud of being a law-abiding person. Instead I find myself at the mercy of those who make no pretense about respecting the law if it does not suit their political ends.

                Off to the UPS Hub in Oakland tomorrow to pay twice as much as I need to for creating my very own personal "security concern."


                This is the choke point. CADOJ will lean all over UPS and FedEx to make our lives miserable.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it all wrong.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Jedediah Munroe
                  Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 397

                  mailing long gun to yourself, or to manufacturer is legal per post office regs. If your not sure how your local USPS feels about it you could just not volunteer the info, if asked say sporting goods. Technically you're supposed to declare but there's no record of or paperwork, your word against theirs if somehow it ever became an issue which I can't imagine because its legal. it's like more friggin underground regulation via threat of wasting hours asking for supervisor

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    MrOrange
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 2262

                    To all those saying don't declare a firearm, you're encouraging a crime. You are required to state that you are shipping a firearm. Just because the local Post Office trolls don't have a clue about their own regs doesn't mean it's okay for you to violate the law.

                    Technically, a long arm isn't hazardous material, it's what the PO calls "restricted matter". If/when your friendly neighborhood USPS idiots refuse to ship or even look up the regs that you provide them, get names, ask for a supervisor, and go to another PO if you have to and start all over again. Make sure you report those who denied you to the Postmaster. We need more gun owners to do this to give the subject a little sunlight and maybe help eliminate the problem.

                    I don't know about others, but the reason I wanted to ship USPS vs. whoever was to save a couple bucks. Nowadays I'm all about shipmygun.com, it's much cheaper.
                    I meant, it is my opinion that...






                    I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
                    I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
                    You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Librarian
                      Admin and Poltergeist
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 44690

                      Originally posted by ACfixer
                      I thought it was illegal to bring a gun onto post office property in the first place. Like we can't even park in the parking lot with a CCW and lock the gun in the car.... What am I missing here?
                      Shipping is a 'lawful purpose' to have guns on USPS property, despite the noted resistance to the idea from some counter-servers.
                      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        ACfixer
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 6093

                        Originally posted by Librarian
                        Shipping is a 'lawful purpose' to have guns on USPS property, despite the noted resistance to the idea from some counter-servers.
                        Okay thank you... I seem to remember shipping a rifle USPS but it's been years but the whole "no guns at the post office" thing got me thinking.
                        Buy made in USA whenever possible.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          HUTCH 7.62
                          In Memoriam
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 11298

                          I've always perfered USPS because of the hassles of shipping a gun with UPS or FedEx
                          Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
                          Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

                          http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Codez
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2017
                            • 10

                            Local UPS store - wouldn't ship SCOPE

                            Funny story. Walked into my local UPS store with a scope needing to be sent back for repairs. It was packed in a small box and I asked for some shipping paper and tape to cover it. When finished, I was asked what was in the box - "A scope," I replied. "Oh, I see, well that is part of a gun and we won't ship that. Company policy." I responded with, "actually, it fits my crossbow." After a brief stare down, I was told, "Oh, then that's fine, we can ship it then." I play a bit of poker, and tried to keep a straight face, but am really glad none of my buddies were there, they would have called my bluff in a second. Anyway, sometimes you just need to know how to work the system.

                            Moral of the story - Broken Bushnell scope from 20 years ago was replaced, without question, with a nice new upgraded scope. Still don't own a crossbow.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Darto
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 6729

                              My local USPS , and even the local station managers won't take any gun if you tell them what it is. By law they have to take some guns, but they won't. Maybe the NRA should file a lawsuit !!!

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                ar15barrels
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2006
                                • 57179

                                Originally posted by DEFCON ZERO
                                how much longer till USPS starts X-ray all packages?
                                USPS has been X-raying packages travelling through major cities for years.

                                Randall Rausch

                                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1