Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Keeping a round in the chamber

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HB714
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2017
    • 19

    Keeping a round in the chamber

    I have recently purchased 2 handguns and a safe and it's been a few weeks and have felt like just having the magazine in is ok (because I was afraid if a round was in the chamber at home it immediately became so dangerous that if I looked at it the wrong way it would fire). I am going as of now keep all my firearms ready with a round in the chamber because I know it makes sense. Did anyone else struggle with this when they first got a gun? I know it doesn't make sense to keep your defensive gun unready for defense but for some reason I really struggled with this one. I don't see how I expected to try and get a ccw and be worried about a round in the chamber and a full mag in the gun


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2
    P5Ret
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2010
    • 6395

    Just so we're clear your primary defensive tool is ready to go locked in a safe?

    Comment

    • #3
      Ron-Solo
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2009
      • 8581

      I keep a round chambered in my 'go to' guns, but all the others are kept unloaded on their racks in the safe.
      LASD Retired
      1978-2011

      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member
      NRA Rifle Instructor
      NRA Shotgun Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      DOJ Certified Instructor

      Comment

      • #4
        IVC
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2010
        • 17640

        If it's in the safe it's not "ready," so not having a round chambered is not a big deal - you will need some time to get to it, and the extra second to chamber a round is likely negligible. Even having a gun in a drawer doesn't require a chambered round - it's not intended for fast presentation, just for "grab it and retreat to assess the situation."

        Carrying a gun is where you assume it's ready for rapid presentation. That's also where it would be silly not to have one in the chamber.
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #5
          HB714
          Junior Member
          • Jul 2017
          • 19

          Originally posted by P5Ret
          Just so we're clear your primary defensive tool is ready to go locked in a safe?


          I haven't given you any information on the location of my firearms nor will you ever receive it. I think it is just a piece of information I added in there that is not relevant to this thread. It is wise to lock up possessions when not home.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            Sapperforward
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 2928

            No, It never worried me to have one in the chamber. In fact I have multiple guns in multiple speed vault safes throughout the house. All are fully loaded and ready to go. I see no other way to store something designed for self defense.

            Op this may make you nervous but I also carry my EDC with one in the chamber and the safety off sometimes.

            Comment

            • #7
              HB714
              Junior Member
              • Jul 2017
              • 19

              Originally posted by Sapperforward
              No, It never worried me to have one in the chamber. In fact I have multiple guns in multiple speed vault safes throughout the house. All are fully loaded and ready to go. I see no other way to store something designed for self defense.

              Op this may make you nervous but I also carry my EDC with one in the chamber and the safety off.


              Funny. At one point you were ignorant as well. I think there is a learning curve for everyone though. I think gun snobs need to understand that Everyone has to learn at some point. I wouldn't expect you to edc any other way. Thanks for your input


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                Sapperforward
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 2928

                Originally posted by HB714
                Funny. At one point you were ignorant as well. I think there is a learning curve for everyone though. I think gun snobs need to understand that Everyone has to learn at some point. I wouldn't expect you to edc any other way. Thanks for your input


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I was never ignorant. Well at least after the ripe old age of 4. I was raised to respect guns and know that only human interaction could cause discharge. Guns are predictable. People are not.

                If you think anyone here is being a snob you need to grow thicker skin. We are being realists. If your going to hang out on this forum you should learn early that EVERY topic has some ball breaking going on.



                Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ron-Solo
                  In Memoriam
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 8581

                  Originally posted by HB714
                  I haven't given you any information on the location of my firearms nor will you ever receive it. I think it is just a piece of information I added in there that is not relevant to this thread. It is wise to lock up possessions when not home.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by HB714
                  Funny. At one point you were ignorant as well. I think there is a learning curve for everyone though. I think gun snobs need to understand that Everyone has to learn at some point. I wouldn't expect you to edc any other way. Thanks for your input


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Pretty snobbish posts for such a new member toward others who were offering advice based on your initial post.

                  Quickest way I know to get a bad reputation around here.

                  Best of luck to you.
                  LASD Retired
                  1978-2011

                  NRA Life Member
                  CRPA Life Member
                  NRA Rifle Instructor
                  NRA Shotgun Instructor
                  NRA Range Safety Officer
                  DOJ Certified Instructor

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SkyHawk
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 23531

                    Originally posted by HB714
                    Funny. At one point you were ignorant as well. I think there is a learning curve for everyone though. I think gun snobs need to understand that Everyone has to learn at some point. I wouldn't expect you to edc any other way. Thanks for your input


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Ah, I see someone here is ignorant. Someone....
                    Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-25-2017, 12:11 AM.
                    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      P5Ret
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 6395

                      Originally posted by HB714
                      I haven't given you any information on the location of my firearms nor will you ever receive it. I think it is just a piece of information I added in there that is not relevant to this thread. It is wise to lock up possessions when not home.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Your assuming I even care where you live, but hey your off to a good start insinuating that I want to steal your crap. Not sure why I would, I have plenty of my own guns, and more than enough money to get more when I want to. I make plenty of money I don't need to think about taking something that doesn't belong to me.

                      It was a simple question. If it's locked in the safe when you need it, is it really ready to go, and the answer is as pointed out above no it's not.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        HB714
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2017
                        • 19

                        Originally posted by Sapperforward
                        I was never ignorant. Well at least after the ripe old age of 4. I was raised to respect guns and know that only human interaction could cause discharge. Guns are predictable. People are not.

                        If you think anyone here is being a snob you need to grow thicker skin. We are being realists. If your going to hang out on this forum you should learn early that EVERY topic has some ball breaking going on.



                        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk


                        Looks like if I break your balls you call me thin skinned. Relax it's just an Internet forum and I respect your opinions not all of us had parents or family that had guns. Some of us poor folks grew up differently. I read a thread about NDs and it caught my attention. There's a lot of topics to sort through here to try and learn.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          HB714
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2017
                          • 19

                          Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                          Pretty snobbish posts for such a new member toward others who were offering advice based on your initial post.



                          Quickest way I know to get a bad reputation around here.



                          Best of luck to you.


                          I could give 2 ****s what you think of me. I respect everyone's opinions and there's so many communication conflicts that come through sentences on a phone screen late at night. Learn to relax and have a drink or something.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ProtectThe2nd
                            In Memoriam
                            • Mar 2016
                            • 1225

                            Biting the hands that feed...

                            This will end well
                            sigpic
                            ESCAPE IF YOU CAN


                            A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

                            "The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Sapperforward
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 2928

                              Originally posted by HB714
                              Looks like if I break your balls you call me thin skinned. Relax it's just an Internet forum and I respect your opinions not all of us had parents or family that had guns. Some of us poor folks grew up differently. I read a thread about NDs and it caught my attention. There's a lot of topics to sort through here to try and learn.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I said you will need to grow thicker skin. I never said you had thin skin. Maybe you have medium skin. I don't know because I don't know you. I also told you to expect ball breaking in EVERY thread. If you stick around long enough you may even figure out that so far we are going very light on you. If the responses that you received so far trouble you so much then I don't think you are going to enjoy your time here overall.

                              Welcome to Calguns. Stick around. Enjoy the $h!t show. But expect snarky responses.


                              Last edited by Sapperforward; 08-25-2017, 12:23 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1