Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Removing A Pinned Muzzle Brake!!! / Building My 1st AR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • EliteCorp
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2015
    • 1130

    Removing A Pinned Muzzle Brake!!! / Building My 1st AR

    Live in the Bay Area and I have a custom Noveske with a Surefire 556 Brake thats pinned and welded. Would like to remove it and either put a KAC MAMS or Noveske kx5. Does anyone have any advice, or know someone who can remove without damaging the barrel?
    Last edited by EliteCorp; 08-15-2017, 11:08 PM.
  • #2
    EliteCorp
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2015
    • 1130

    Building My 1st AR, Any Advice??

    Starting with a Gen 1 matching upper & lower Noveske ( non chainsaw ). Would like to turn this into a carbine style rifle. Any advice?

    Where to go too install barrel?

    Comment

    • #3
      Andres
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2015
      • 57

      1: If you can see where the pin is at you can use a grinder to expose it and wiggle the break off.
      2: send it out, https://adcofirearms.com/products/gu...muzzle-device/
      3: Shoot the hell out of the barrel, and replace the barrel/brake

      Comment

      • #4
        vg247
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2004
        • 1071

        Originally posted by EliteCorp
        Live in the Bay Area and I have a custom Noveske with a Surefire 556 Brake thats pinned and welded. Would like to remove it and either put a KAC MAMS or Noveske kx5. Does anyone have any advice, or know someone who can remove without damaging the barrel?
        Not worth the trouble and risk of ruining the barrel - I suggest sending it to Randall at AR15 BARRELS in Socal to get it done. If you need the MAMS pinned, make sure to have it pinned at the wrench flats

        Comment

        • #5
          Eatmyshade
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2015
          • 938

          The pin weld is usually located on the bottom of brake. Get a dremel with a grinding wheel and sand the area (http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-vortex.jpg) . Keep sanding until it breaks the weld and simply remove the pin and then the brake. Use the proper tools! i.e. vice, reaction rod or upper holder, dremel not a angle grinder, etc...
          hell i'd do it for you for a 6 pack lol I just dont have a vice available
          Last edited by Eatmyshade; 08-16-2017, 2:54 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            reverser
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 710

            What if he only has a six pack of wine coolers?

            Originally posted by Eatmyshade
            hell i'd do it for you for a 6 pack lol I just dont have a vice available
            Originally posted by sfarchitect
            The days of scared old white people, terrified that life and the world has passed them by running America is coming to a close.

            Comment

            • #7
              Eatmyshade
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2015
              • 938

              Originally posted by reverser
              What if he only has a six pack of wine coolers?
              I want to say "well alcohol is alcohol" but wine coolers are too sweet and artificial for me. I like simple stuff such as Budlight... I'm a cheap date lol

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57179

                Originally posted by Eatmyshade
                until it breaks the weld and simply remove the pin
                It's not so simple to get the pin out after you are past the weld.
                Many of them are a tight enough fit that that will not come out until you grind into the barrel threads.
                You obviously want to minimize the damage to the threads as much as you can.

                I have very good luck getting the pins out without grinding into the threads by using vibration from an air rivet gun striking the muzzle device a few hundred times in very rapid succession.
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1