Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The "it should be in a museum" comment...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    GW
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2004
    • 16078

    Originally posted by SoldierLife7
    On a regular basis, I see posts about really nice old guns (WWI and WWII 1911s for example). Almost always, someone comes on the thread and posts something about it being a "piece of history" and that it "belongs to a museum"...

    While I appreciate and understand the sentiment, I don't think that the majority of people understand how museums work or how much "stuff" museums keep in storage.

    I also don't think they understand how common these old guns really are (yes there are really rare exceptions, but they are the exception, not the norm).

    Am I the only one that thinks this way?
    Generally, "It should be in a museum" is said with reverence. It should be taken as a compliment and perhaps not literally.
    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

    Comment

    • #17
      GW
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2004
      • 16078

      Originally posted by steve91104
      was expecting a Nancy Pelosi thread
      He didn't say wax (y) museum.
      sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

      Comment

      • #18
        shakyshoot
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2014
        • 1142

        It's no different from many other categories of old, yet darn near worthless stuff that people assume is valuable, especially if they want to sell it to you. As a long time antique dealer I've seen so many people who think their treadle sewing machines, pump organs, manual typewriters, and gasoline irons are something great.

        Comment

        • #19
          mikeyr
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 1554

          I have no safe queens, I own it, I shoot it. Same with my cars, I own them, I drive them even if they are from 1934 and British.
          sigpic
          NRA Benefactor Member
          . CRPA Member

          Comment

          • #20
            SonofWWIIDI
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 21583

            Originally posted by SoldierLife7
            I have 2 or 3 items that some would consider "museum quality"...they sit in the "museum corner" of my safe (unless I am shooting them).

            Sorry, not sorry.
            🎺

            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

            Comment

            • #21
              blasterp7
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 544

              Originally posted by steve91104
              was expecting a Nancy Pelosi thread
              Now that is funny - accurate - but very funny

              Comment

              • #22
                mossy
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2007
                • 7433



                you can get tons of pu##y when you Pimp a P08.
                best troll thread in calguns history
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



                burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

                Comment

                • #23
                  SoldierLife7
                  Joe Exotic For President
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 2420

                  Originally posted by GW
                  Generally, "It should be in a museum" is said with reverence. It should be taken as a compliment and perhaps not literally.
                  I think that this is probably true, but there are a lot that think that because something is old...that it should be valuable.

                  In example: I had an acquaintance try to sell me an old rusty Remington Model 11 that someone had cut down the stock on... I offered him $300 because I really liked the patina and was feeling generous. He laughed and acted like I offended him. It took him a little while to realize that I was being serious. He thought that since it was so old, that it was a priceless antique.

                  I did end up purchasing it, and I paid too much for it. He needed the money, and I believe in Karma.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    SoldierLife7
                    Joe Exotic For President
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 2420

                    Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI

                    I will post a peak of that corner when I get a chance

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CandG
                      Spent $299 for this text!
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 16970

                      Usually when I hear/see "that belongs in a museum", I understand it to simply be a compliment - pointing out that it's a particularly nice specimen of something. That's all. I don't think most people usually really mean that it should be donated to the Smithsonian.
                      Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                      Comment

                      • #26
                        stormvet
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 12681

                        Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                        Usually when I hear/see "that belongs in a museum", I understand it to simply be a compliment - pointing out that it's a particularly nice specimen of something. That's all. I don't think most people usually really mean that it should be donated to the Smithsonian.
                        Exactly, some people take things far to literally. Really how many people honestly think someone should but their old firearm in a museum, it's a simple compliment nothing else.

                        Also a lot of the time when people say, 'have a good one' or 'have a good day'. They really could careless about how your day goes, they are just being polite.
                        Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1