Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ever heard of this 6.5 round?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CaliforniaCowboy
    Senior Member
    • May 2015
    • 1469

    Ever heard of this 6.5 round?

    Was watching a video discussing barrels, the man speaking was a long range shooter. He had mentioned that when in competitions shooting up to 1K yards he preferred shooting the 6.5 Creedmore, but beyond 1K, he preferred another round I had not heard of before. Sounded like he said "Soam" or "Some with long O" 6.5 Soam? can someone point me in the right direction?
    EDIT>>
    Ok, after no luck and posting here, I think I just now found it by accident. 6.5 SAUM? Short Action Ultra Magnum. Anyone had any experience with this one?
    Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-31-2017, 6:14 PM.
    https://thedeplorablepatriot.com/

    "A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
  • #2
    LowThudd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 3608

    6.5 SAUM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rusty_Shackleferd
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2014
      • 1107

      Yup, I did a bunch of research on it. I helped my dad build a 6.5 SAUM rifle on a Deviant action. It's a very labor-intensive round to shoot: reloading is complicated and is almost mandatory due to the non-existent commercial ammo market. The rifles themselves are almost always custom rifles, and thus very expensive. Lastly, for all of the pain of acquisition and feeding, the payoff is the most flat shooting, hardest hitting short action round available. Here's a link for your reading pleasure http://www.sincityprecision.com/6-5m...-ultra-magnum/

      Comment

      • #4
        deadcoyote
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 4002

        I am not a super long distance shooter. For what it's worth, is seems to me like a lot of guys in that crowd have as much fun tinkering with these oddball rounds and trying to get it all to jive just right for them.

        If I was going to go that route, as a cheapskate, it seems like the old 7mm STW is one of the easiest straight forward ways to go.
        Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.

        Comment

        • #5
          AceGirlsHusband
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 2651

          Its exotic. I looked at it and decided to stick with the 6.5-284 just for brass availability.

          Comment

          • #6
            Sutcliffe
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2003
            • 6792

            Flat shooting but likely a really short barrel life

            Very niche round that shouldn't have been introduced as the next big thing.

            Comment

            • #7
              ElvenSoul
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2008
              • 17431

              Originally posted by AceGirlsHusband
              Its exotic. I looked at it and decided to stick with the 6.5-284 just for brass availability.
              Or 6.5-06

              All those 6.5 and SAUM are dying off slowly.

              Hell even the wsm and wssm are in decay.
              sigpic

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1