Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

APL vs Streamlight TLR-1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2015
    • 6504

    APL vs Streamlight TLR-1

    Does anyone know if an inforce APL will fit in a holster made for a TLR-1?
  • #2
    SoCalPI
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 1994

    The bigger question is why you are using an inferior product? Lol just kidding.

    I believe the APL is smaller than the TLR, so don't see why it wouldn't.

    Comment

    • #3
      Calico1404
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2016
      • 3401

      Neg your lil glock 19 will slip out of the holster. The TLR is almost 1/2" wider.
      The APL is literally just about the same width as your slide.

      Comment

      • #4
        the Scholar
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 601

        I would assume there would be some play in the holster afterwards. The TLR-1 is pretty wide compared to the APL from my understanding.

        Comment

        • #5
          Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2015
          • 6504

          I was just curious.
          Which one is considered the better light?

          Comment

          • #6
            keith1911
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 1297

            I like the APL better because of the way it's buttons work.

            Comment

            • #7
              neomedic
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • 3276

              I like the User Interface of the Surefire x300 Ultra

              Comment

              • #8
                Chakachaka
                Member
                • Mar 2015
                • 233

                Between the APL or the TLR-1 I would say the TLR-1 is the better light. The APL has had a rocky history in terms of reliability and durability. Videos and reports show the APL flying off guns when fired. Granted this was the gen 1 models which I believe have been fixed. There are still reports of the light housing cracking due to plastic construction, or the clamping mechanism cracking as well.

                The streamlight has an aluminum housing and very few people complain about it. The biggest criticism of the TLR-1 is the rocker switch

                Comment

                • #9
                  Quiet
                  retired Goon
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 30242

                  Between the two, I'm leaning toward the TLR-1HL.



                  Anyone know which Streamlight TLR-1HL, Flat Dark Earth or Flat Dark Earth Brown, matches the Glock FDE color?
                  sigpic

                  "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2015
                    • 6504

                    Originally posted by Quiet
                    Between the two, I'm leaning toward the TLR-1HL.



                    Anyone know which Streamlight TLR-1HL, Flat Dark Earth or Flat Dark Earth Brown, matches the Glock FDE color?
                    Probably fdeb

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      robledo
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 978

                      It depends on the kind of holster and how the gun locks or sets into place. A kydex holster for a light - bearing pistol may require the light in order for it to have retention. Whereas something like a safariland als holster can accept a variety of lights, and also function without a light on the pistol, albeit a tad looser feeling.

                      And to answer your other question I've never handled an APL but I did like the ease of the switches on the TLR-1s I used to have. But in terms of versatility I'd recommend getting the APL because it is smaller.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Andres
                        Junior Member
                        • Jun 2015
                        • 57

                        I switched over from APL's to TLR 1's and HL's. Had a bunch of 1st gen APL's that broke (switch and body housing). Supposedly the new APL's are good.

                        Just a reminder, that if you get an HL, the bezel is bigger than a regular TLR-1. So you may get some fitment issues, unless its an adjustable retention holster you should be alright

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2015
                          • 6504

                          Originally posted by Andres
                          I switched over from APL's to TLR 1's and HL's. Had a bunch of 1st gen APL's that broke (switch and body housing). Supposedly the new APL's are good.

                          Just a reminder, that if you get an HL, the bezel is bigger than a regular TLR-1. So you may get some fitment issues, unless its an adjustable retention holster you should be alright
                          The HL is supposed to be able to mount on a quad rail as well as a ristol correct?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SoCalPI
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 1994

                            TLR-HL will attach to a quad rail no problem. I'd vote for the Steamlight. I'm sure Inforce is good but they haven't been around that long, company was created in 2008. Unless you can get one significantly less than the Streamlight or you've had issues with Streamlight. I have several of their handhelds and they are great.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2015
                              • 6504

                              Originally posted by SoCalPI
                              TLR-HL will attach to a quad rail no problem. I'd vote for the Steamlight. I'm sure Inforce is good but they haven't been around that long, company was created in 2008. Unless you can get one significantly less than the Streamlight or you've had issues with Streamlight. I have several of their handhelds and they are great.
                              I ended up getting the TLR-1 standard.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1