Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

beretta 92fs owners,best bullet?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • luisdeleon
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 171

    beretta 92fs owners,best bullet?

    was wondering what was th best round to for home defense and for target shooting? to be used in this gun, i picked up some winchester 115gr white box for target, but i don't know any better, my first gun.

    thanks

    luis
  • #2
    Dr Rockso
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 3701

    Originally posted by luisdeleon
    was wondering what was th best round to for home defense and for target shooting? to be used in this gun, i picked up some winchester 115gr white box for target, but i don't know any better, my first gun.

    thanks

    luis
    WWB is good for target shooting. There's plenty of others, as well. I buy whatever is cheap and has a brass case. Avoid the steel cased garbage like Wolf, aluminum case (Blazer) is okay, but I avoid that as well. For a self defense round get a box or two of JHP from one of the big name manufacturers. Shoot some of it to make sure it feeds reliably (it almost certainly will), then you're good to go.
    Last edited by Dr Rockso; 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Clodbuster
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 1103

      Winchester 124gr NATO

      Comment

      • #4
        sszeto
        Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 219

        HD - I loaded first round (in chamber) using Winchester Ranger +p+, and the mag is loaded with Federal HydraShok.
        Plinking - Whatever cheap stuff you can find. Like Miwall reload, or WWB.
        WTB : RHKP SW M10 or RHKP Colt PPS.

        Comment

        • #5
          The Bacon Eater
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 2332

          I like ranger 147gr sxt, 147gr talon, gold dot 124+, and for range i like blazer brass or win. white box.
          Calguns member formerly known as Long Beach

          Comment

          • #6
            Clodbuster
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1103

            I will never understand the concept of why people shoot cheap ammo at the range, learning the point of impact of the cheap ammo at various distances, getting use to the recoil of the cheap ammo, and then taking the gun home and loading it with the good "ammo" as if it shot the same as the cheap ammo...for self defense no less.

            Clod

            Comment

            • #7
              cgseanp1
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 4651

              Originally posted by Clodbuster
              I will never understand the concept of why people shoot cheap ammo at the range, learning the point of impact of the cheap ammo at various distances, getting use to the recoil of the cheap ammo, and then taking the gun home and loading it with the good "ammo" as if it shot the same as the cheap ammo...for self defense no less.

              Clod
              I will never understand why people like you don't understand why some people shoot "cheap" ammo at the range.. not everybody has a ton of money to burn.

              Comment

              • #8
                geeknow
                Lifetime Contributor #1
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Aug 2007
                • 3144

                like others have said, I too use 115gr fmj for plinking and practice. for HD, I prefer 147gr winchester sxt. I have shot a couple of boxes of the pricey stuff to see how it performed and was very pleased with the groups. However, at the price, it does seem like a waste to shoot high dollar ammo at low value targets, but it was nice to run a bit through.

                Comment

                • #9
                  gwl
                  • May 2007
                  • 1328

                  In my Beretta 92FS . . . For the range I use PMC 124gr, Magtech 115gr, Federal AE 115gr, Sellier & Bellot 115gr and Blazer (Aluminum and Brass) 115gr. Once in a while I'll fire a few boxes of Speer Lawman.

                  For HD, I have a ton of Hornady TAP 124gr.

                  Never had a problem with any of the aforementioned ammo.

                  My suggestion is try a small quantity first before buying in bulk. What worked in my Beretta didn't work so well in my friend's Beretta.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    97F1504RAD
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 6319

                    Originally posted by cgseanp1
                    I will never understand why people like you don't understand why some people shoot "cheap" ammo at the range.. not everybody has a ton of money to burn.
                    I agree I have been shooting WOLF for years out of all my guns including my Beretta and never had any issues what so ever. For plinking ammo it is the way to go.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jonathan Doe

                      I just shoot Winchester 147gr SXT for the range and home defense. They are pretty accurate ,too.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        luisdeleon
                        Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 171

                        thanks guys for all your info.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rg_1111@yahoo.com
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2003
                          • 5752

                          Golden Sabers.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Steve G
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 1931

                            Cor-Bon 115gr JHP

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              realmswalker
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 636

                              Originally posted by Clodbuster
                              I will never understand the concept of why people shoot cheap ammo at the range, learning the point of impact of the cheap ammo at various distances, getting use to the recoil of the cheap ammo, and then taking the gun home and loading it with the good "ammo" as if it shot the same as the cheap ammo...for self defense no less.

                              Clod

                              I can't imagine learning the point of impact at various distances will have any bearing on your home defense shooting. I would say most home defense shoots are from 10-20 feet. I don't think there would be enough variance in point of impact between any type of ammo at these close distances to matter.

                              As for recoil, once again the variance in a 115 grain 9mm and a 147 grain home defense round will throw someone off very much who practices often with cheap plinking ammo. Shooting technique and sight picture and the fundamentals will come in to play much more than ammo choice.
                              Last edited by realmswalker; 02-19-2009, 12:56 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1