Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR15 Quadrails: "It Chews My Hand Up"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CouchOperator
    Veteran Member
    • May 2016
    • 4353

    AR15 Quadrails: "It Chews My Hand Up"

    Had a discussion with a friend regarding quadrails. Full disclosure, i have owned Geissele slick MK1 and MK8 rails and a BCM KMR rail in the past. I now and have been running a quadrail. Myself, personally, i have never been cut by a quad rail. Ever. Yet, all over the internet, people say "It'll chew your hands up!" Often those people are dudes assuming that they will be sending bullets the enemy's way and are tough enough to take a bullet and strap down that tourniquet they have on their Gucci plate carrier in the heat and stress and blood of combat.
    But golly those quad rails r sharp.

    This thread is meant to combine experience with quadrails and come to a conclusion whether or not a quadrail has ever cut you. I may sound sarcastic, but im not.

    This is meant to be a serious thread and i want serious feedback as to whether or not you have been injured specifically by the quad rail
    76
    YES
    0%
    17
    NO
    0%
    59
  • #2
    Bullitt01
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 3905

    They are still in wide use by our US Military.

    Comment

    • #3
      3000+
      Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 438

      Can't answer since I've never owned one. I think a lot of it is people needing an excuse to adopt a slimmer profile rail, even though their applications don't require it. Which I support, since I love MLOK!

      Comment

      • #4
        hunterb
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Jun 2011
        • 3796

        Wear gloves or get some $10 Ergo rail protectors?
        I thought the main complaint was weight?

        Doesn't chew up my soft, girly hands, but I shoot at a range, not the sandbox, so haven't been in any extended "firefights."
        Originally posted by johnthomas
        ...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.

        Comment

        • #5
          tnlrat37
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 2166

          I have the magpul ladder rails on one side hard rail covers on the other side, never an issue. I actually like the way my thumb fits in between the rails at the 10-11 o'clock position in combo with my tango down stubby fore grip.

          Sounds like some people you talk to need to do some real labor once in awhile and toughen up those hands. Playing Call of Duty won't do it. 😜
          "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

          Comment

          • #6
            CouchOperator
            Veteran Member
            • May 2016
            • 4353

            Originally posted by tnlrat37
            I have the magpul ladder rails on one side hard rail covers on the other side, never an issue. I actually like the way my thumb fits in between the rails at the 10-11 o'clock position in combo with my tango down stubby fore grip.

            Sounds like some people you talk to need to do some real labor once in awhile and toughen up those hands. Playing Call of Duty won't do it. 😜
            This was inspired by a common claim i see about quadrails being "cheesegraters". My friends and i are dumbfounded

            Comment

            • #7
              osis32
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2009
              • 5912

              I have scratched my hand pretty good on quad rails and use the ladder covers. I prefer the stream lined rails for weight reasons now but I still use the quads I have. depends on the quality of the machining some have pretty rough edges.
              Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

              Comment

              • #8
                CouchOperator
                Veteran Member
                • May 2016
                • 4353

                Originally posted by osis32
                depends on the quality of the machining some have pretty rough edges.
                A valid point

                Comment

                • #9
                  Hairball
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2013
                  • 799

                  I never had an issue but I grip mine and maybe they are not holding it tight enough and the rail is moving in their hand so the recoil is causing them issues. Wear gloves or hold on an anchor the rifle and don't let it slide in your hands. The rail on my old M468 is rough by contemporary standards but I don't have issues with it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mlevans66
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 9516

                    I've hand a lot of rails and the higher end ones like DD, Cen, etc and they never cut the hand. The lesser ones like Ergo maybe but not really. I was trained on a Knights with and without the covers. Gloves and not gloves and I had no issues. I still rock the rails and like them. Don't like the skinny jeans hand guards. They look cool but no thanks.
                    The liberal see's the glass as half full and tries to take more.
                    The conservative see's glass as half empty and tries to keep it that way.
                    I'm with the people on the side just pouring water in the glass trying to get a drink!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2015
                      • 6504

                      Angled foregrip+rail panels and youre good to go

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Ar_Glock_Man
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 674

                        I have own DD all the way down to cheap generic brand. Higher quality has smooth edge while generic ones have sharp edge. Like the saying goes "You get what you pay for". But on the other hand I have not have any issue with either one. People who experienced it should use rail ladder covers or afg.
                        Hi

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SafetyOptional
                          Member
                          • Oct 2015
                          • 186

                          6 years experience with them quad rails on my m4. The only time it hurt me was during a rollover when the rails scraped against my collar bone. But other then that the rails never bothered me during normal usage, with or without gloves. The only complaint I have is how bulky it feels in my hands but that's it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FeuerFrei
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 7455

                            "Tactical cheese graters" are to my mind the cheap ChiCom knock off crap people buy to hang more cheap ChiCom crap on their rifles. Some do have very sharp edges.

                            I've used that particular term too. Maybe we should refer to them as TCG's in future?

                            I prefer minimal rail space although I still have a Surefire quad rail on my coyote rifle. The only quad rail I own.
                            I still use some Magpul plastic hand guards too.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Scratch705
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • May 2009
                              • 12537

                              the only handguard i bought were the "skinny-jeans" hand guard due to all the talk about the quad rails being hard on hands.

                              plus i also don't mount anything. i use the standard FSB with a2 sight on most of my AR's with only 1 AR that is a DMR-style setup that isn't running any irons at all only scope.

                              all are using either the basic plastic handguard that practically comes with every base AR out there. and the 1 handguard i did buy was for the DMR setup and i wanted some 15" rails for that extended handguard look.
                              Last edited by Scratch705; 03-13-2017, 5:11 PM.
                              Originally posted by leelaw
                              Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                              Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                              Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                              Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                              Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1