Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Purchasing desert land for shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Jimi Jah
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2014
    • 19299

    Why buy when you can rent BLM land for free?

    Comment

    • #32
      Royal_Cake
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 88

      Originally posted by Jimi Jah
      Why buy when you can rent BLM land for free?


      I guess I'm just wanting to avoid having to check for closures, dealing with rangers, other folks that may not be as considerate, people leaving trash, etc.
      I also want to set up semi permanent structures.
      But yes that is the alternative to just use BLM.

      Comment

      • #33
        Barbarosa
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 2166

        My $0.02; laws, zoning, neighbors, etc, all can change in a moment, thereby leaving you with worthless land. My suggestion is to look around for a private range or gun club and become a member. It will cost you a lot less and you don't have the hassles of knowing zoning issues, laws, and all the rest. If the club shuts down you will be out less money.

        Comment

        • #34
          Mitch
          Mostly Harmless
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Mar 2008
          • 6580

          Originally posted by Barbarosa
          My $0.02; laws, zoning, neighbors, etc, all can change in a moment, thereby leaving you with worthless land.
          I suspect if he buys land that cannot be developed due to lack of water access, as cannon suggested in the second post, it can't get any more worthless.

          If the price is right, I think buying some shooting land is a great idea. Be nice to set things up the way you want. But personally, I wouldn't buy anything in California.
          Originally posted by cockedandglocked
          Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

          Comment

          • #35
            DDRH
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2008
            • 2756

            Any Luck finding a nice piece of land?

            Comment

            • #36
              Royal_Cake
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 88

              Thanks for asking- I haven't gone any further yet besides casual browsing. I was starting to think if 2.5 hr drive is too inconvenient for weekly shooting practice

              Comment

              • #37
                Truck286
                Senior Member
                • May 2016
                • 558

                2.5 hours one way is 5 hours of drive time in a vehicle, Add 3-4 hours of shooting and its an All Day Event.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Calico1404
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2016
                  • 3401

                  That area has land purchase options that include but are not limited to, mineral rights, leased blm land or rainbow basin natural area. Rules apply to both things you put in and take out.

                  Fun fact.
                  Trump just gave the ok for mohave pumping. The mohave river [underground] is huge and runs along the barstow path down around hodge. Some spots the river hits over 2,000' deep.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Mitch
                    Mostly Harmless
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 6580

                    Originally posted by Royal_Cake
                    Thanks for asking- I haven't gone any further yet besides casual browsing. I was starting to think if 2.5 hr drive is too inconvenient for weekly shooting practice
                    Get an RV . . . or a Suburban.
                    Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                    Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      mikeyr
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 1554

                      RV sounds like a perfect weekend camping and shooting. I would not want to 2.5 hours to go shooting and turn around...but make a weekend of it and I could see doing that at least once a month.
                      sigpic
                      NRA Benefactor Member
                      . CRPA Member

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        DDRH
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 2756

                        2.5 hrs is not bad. I have to drive from the Bay Area to the deserts of SoCal. 6hr drive if i don't stop. it takes usually 7 hrs. and i camp out there for a week.
                        I do this about once/twice a year. the rest of the year, i camp out at BLM every other month.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          CMBrowning
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2014
                          • 918

                          Might have already been mentioned........look out for easements and CCRs. Make sure you have access to the parcel and do not need to cross peoples land for access.
                          Ephesians 6:10

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            audiophil2
                            Senior Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 8736

                            Originally posted by Royal_Cake
                            Thanks for asking- I haven't gone any further yet besides casual browsing. I was starting to think if 2.5 hr drive is too inconvenient for weekly shooting practice
                            It does not have to be weekly but you will probably like going there. I used to drive 1.5hrs one way to go shoot on BLM instead of 20 minutes for a range.

                            The nice thing about having your own property is you do not have ot ask permission from anyone to shoot when you want. My lot is about 45 minutes away but I have been there from sun up until after sun down. I camped there a few weeks ago. It was fun shooting with NV.

                            When you are on your own property or even public land you don't have to rush or wait for others. Need to make a dope sheet? You can set your targets as needed and do it without everyone else bothering you. Want to practice drills? No RSO to stop you. Want to shoot at sunrise? No one can tell you no. Want to see how a bullet goes through certain materials? Bring it out and test it.

                            Even the best secret public spots get found eventually. Better to get your range before others get the same idea because they are losing shooting spots.
                            sigpic


                            Private 10 acre range rentals
                            [/URL]

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              DDRH
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 2756

                              Originally posted by audiophil2
                              It does not have to be weekly but you will probably like going there. I used to drive 1.5hrs one way to go shoot on BLM instead of 20 minutes for a range.

                              The nice thing about having your own property is you do not have ot ask permission from anyone to shoot when you want. My lot is about 45 minutes away but I have been there from sun up until after sun down. I camped there a few weeks ago. It was fun shooting with NV.

                              When you are on your own property or even public land you don't have to rush or wait for others. Need to make a dope sheet? You can set your targets as needed and do it without everyone else bothering you. Want to practice drills? No RSO to stop you. Want to shoot at sunrise? No one can tell you no. Want to see how a bullet goes through certain materials? Bring it out and test it.

                              Even the best secret public spots get found eventually. Better to get your range before others get the same idea because they are losing shooting spots.
                              EXACTLY what Audiophil stated. Most ranges here in the Bay area only go up to 200 yards. You can have much more distance on private land...if you're able to find a parcel big enough. Shoot steel all you want, just make sure there's no dry brush near the steel

                              and the fact that, if i feel like getting up at 3AM to unload a magazine without being hassled is a great feeling

                              I was lucky to find a parcel where 2 neighbors near me are also shooters. They have a 1500 yard range setup...will have to try some distance soon
                              Last edited by DDRH; 04-14-2017, 11:08 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                audiophil2
                                Senior Member
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Jan 2007
                                • 8736

                                Find a lot that is surrounded by flood plain and no neighbors will build. It is cheap unusable land but perfect for shooting because it usually rests against hills and has natural berms. If you can find a rectangular lot that backs to BLM or trust land it is even better.

                                I have clients that invite me to go shooting at the local spots. I always politely turn them down because I can go to this whenever I want.


                                sigpic


                                Private 10 acre range rentals
                                [/URL]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1