Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do you Recycle your used brass?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HigsB
    Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 160

    Do you Recycle your used brass?

    I was going to try reloading my 223 ammo and realized i wont have the time. It doesnt seem like there is much of a market for used 223 remanufactured brass for resale. Then freedom munitions has a brass credit program but with shipping it to them makes it not worth it. Am i better off recycling the brass for some cash?
  • #2
    baih777
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2011
    • 5680

    Sell it in the reloading marketplace.
    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
    I'm Back.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rapid Cool
      Banned
      • Sep 2016
      • 239

      I shoot in Nevada, pick up by brass and run it over to Jack Ross in Reno for a purchase credit and recycle. Works well for me.

      Comment

      • #4
        zapatito92
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2016
        • 768

        im sure a lot of people would be interested if you posted it in the market.
        and you wont get much for recycling it because it is considered scrap brass

        Comment

        • #5
          Bansh88
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 2500

          I take mine in with my cans and plastics.
          Scrap Brass adds up fast.

          Comment

          • #6
            kurac
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 2917

            I sold my scrap brass and spend primers a few years ago, for $1.65 a pound. He took everything, old keyes, brass door hardware plumbing valves, brass is brass.
            www.culinagrips.com
            "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

            Comment

            • #7
              calif 15-22
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2012
              • 6050

              I have yet to get into reloading so I just leave it at the range.
              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
              It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
              Originally posted by Hoooper
              Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                kcheung2
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 4387

                There is a demand in the marketplace but you have to be realistic. Going price is about $50-60 per thousand, so if you list it at $50 it will take a while to find a buyer. Sell it at $30 and it will be sold in an hour.

                Also, quantity matters. If you only have 200 cases, that's just a nibble for most reloaders. If you have a minimum of 500, and preferably 1000+, that's better.
                ---------------------
                "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                Comment

                • #9
                  M1NM
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 7966

                  Originally posted by calif 15-22
                  I have yet to get into reloading so I just leave it at the range.
                  You need to start savng it. When you do start to reload you'll be $ ahead. Also all those boxes/bags full of brass will encourage you to reload.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    diveRN
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 1743

                    Brass is as good as currency in some places. I don't reload 9mm, but save every case I find because I trade with a friend for .40 and .45acp. Recently did an even trade of 100 once-fired 10mm Starline cases for 100 range find 45LC cases.

                    Get creative. You might even be able to swap for beer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      someoneeasy
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 2372

                      Originally posted by M1NM
                      You need to start savng it. When you do start to reload you'll be $ ahead. Also all those boxes/bags full of brass will encourage you to reload.
                      No, no need for him to start saving it, people like me still appreciate it being left behind, there might not be too much being left around next year

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bigedski
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 976

                        I pick up all brass when we go shooting, first thing when we get there in the morning, (we have been shooting together for years and where we go on the weekdays is not busy, but I would never go on a weekend), My buddy takes the brass he uses I get what I like and we split what we both use anything else gets cleaned sorted and either sold or traded, we mark our own cases so we get them back.
                        We both reload on DILLON 650's.
                        Like I tell him Picking up brass is like picking up money.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          splithoof
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2015
                          • 6067

                          Originally posted by Bigedski
                          I pick up all brass when we go shooting, first thing when we get there in the morning, (we have been shooting together for years and where we go on the weekdays is not busy, but I would never go on a weekend), My buddy takes the brass he uses I get what I like and we split what we both use anything else gets cleaned sorted and either sold or traded, we mark our own cases so we get them back.
                          We both reload on DILLON 650's.
                          Like I tell him Picking up brass is like picking up money.
                          Good to do that.
                          I think soon enough the days of good used brass laying around shooting ranges and popular shooting locations will will be ancient history.
                          With the current status of the state legislature's eager campaign to further restrict ammunition in all respects, re-loaders like myself will be more diligent about collecting, and eventually those who left it behind will be less likely to give it away. Last Tuesday, I picked up a full five-gallon pail of .223 at our club, a very good haul for the day, but I am noticing less now. Eventually components will be heavily restricted, brass included. Get what you can now.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1