Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best cleaning patches and why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • weapontex
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2017
    • 6

    Best cleaning patches and why?

    Hey guys. Want to get a general consensus of which brand of patches you're using to clean and your reasoning behind them. Sure it may seem trivial, but everyone has their preference and for a reason. Gotta keep your babies pristine right?
  • #2
    OCRebote78
    Member
    • Dec 2015
    • 389

    The Outers ones are cool and they're cotton. Others I've tried leave a lot of fibers on my firearms.

    Comment

    • #3
      Vacaville
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 4360

      I always thought they were pretty much the same.

      Comment

      • #4
        Red-Osier
        Doesn't Abide
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2015
        • 12284

        Boresnake's are cool too.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Jimmy's
          Veteran Member
          • May 2016
          • 2600

          Old tee shirts, work great and they are FREE and plentiful.

          Comment

          • #6
            Maht_g
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2014
            • 1748

            I bought a package of 2000 hoppes shotgun patches ( 2"x2") for I think $8 delivered on eBay a couple years ago. I cut them into 4ths for pistol cleaning... will last my lifetime probably... no problems with linting...
            sigpic"That's more suspicious than a nun doing squats in a cucumber field!"

            Comment

            • #7
              OpenSightsOnly
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 1557

              Dewey patches!

              Or you can go to a fabric store and buy a yard of flannel if you want to custom cut your own patch

              Comment

              • #8
                Barbarosa
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 2166

                +1 for old T-shirts; cut them to size.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wordupmybrotha
                  From anotha motha
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 6965

                  Just like people mentioned, I use old cotton t-shirts for big areas.
                  For the the bore, I use Hoppe's.
                  For commercial patches, Hoppe's hands down. The Outers patches are horrible, because it sheds and falls apart. The Hoppe's stays intact while grabbing the gunk off the gun.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jarhead714
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 9671

                    The ones that are the right size seem to work best.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NIKSD
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • 1126

                      First you receive sheets /bedding/
                      Sheets become foot wrappings
                      Foot wrappings become rags
                      Rags become gun cleaning patches

                      This was working really well when I was in the army /not the USA one/. Try this at hone. Do not tell your wife about it unless you take cover first!!!
                      https://jpfo.org/articles-assd03/jew-without-gun.htm

                      -If communism doesn't work, why do so many people support it?
                      -Because they don't work either.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        weapontex
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2017
                        • 6

                        Thanks guys. Guess I'll conduct a mini-experiment and compare t-shirts, outers, hoppes and bed sheet! Do old socks count?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NIKSD
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • 1126

                          Originally posted by weapontex
                          Thanks guys. Guess I'll conduct a mini-experiment and compare t-shirts, outers, hoppes and bed sheet! Do old socks count?
                          Old socks should be washed first, sweat on them contain salt... LOL!
                          https://jpfo.org/articles-assd03/jew-without-gun.htm

                          -If communism doesn't work, why do so many people support it?
                          -Because they don't work either.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kmas
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 1315

                            Originally posted by Maht_g
                            I bought a package of 2000 hoppes shotgun patches ( 2"x2") for I think $8 delivered on eBay a couple years ago. I cut them into 4ths for pistol cleaning... will last my lifetime probably... no problems with linting...
                            Yes, these worked well and did a better job than some smaller ones sold for pistols

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ElDub1950
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 5688

                              The best ones are the cheapest ones on the shelf when I remember I need more patches. Such a trivial thing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1