Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Built a heavy barrel AR, which gas block????

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kustomkat1950
    airplane guy/Coastal GA
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2011
    • 1947

    Built a heavy barrel AR, which gas block????

    I want one with a rail to put a bipod on, built this for my 11 yr old....super heavy rifle, 17 lbs so far.

    Which gas block should I use? 20' upper, think its .930...



    "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

    "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

    Question EVERYTHING.

    "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"
  • #2
    kevins750
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 1376

    Is that other barrel for sale?
    "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson
    NRA+CRPA member

    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard

    Comment

    • #3
      kustomkat1950
      airplane guy/Coastal GA
      CGN Contributor
      • Mar 2011
      • 1947

      PM me.
      "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

      "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

      Question EVERYTHING.

      "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"

      Comment

      • #4
        strongpoint
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 3115

        I wouldn't put the bipod on the barrel. If that handguard is free-floated, drill the muzzle end of it for a QD sling stud and attach the bipod there.
        .

        Comment

        • #5
          kustomkat1950
          airplane guy/Coastal GA
          CGN Contributor
          • Mar 2011
          • 1947

          see, this is where you guys chime in. I never would have thought of that...
          "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

          "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

          Question EVERYTHING.

          "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"

          Comment

          • #6
            ktmguy
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2014
            • 537

            17lb rifle puts red dot on it to save weight.. Com'on man! you can easily add 3-5 more pounds with a giant telescope mounted on top of that bad boy. Then off set the red dot at a 45 degree for MAX weight.

            11 years old + 17 pound rifle = DO YOUR KIDS EVEN LIFT BRO!

            Comment

            • #7
              kustomkat1950
              airplane guy/Coastal GA
              CGN Contributor
              • Mar 2011
              • 1947

              Bench rifle brah.. got more ARs that are lite weght...

              and she does. we do it different out here in the sticks..we raise 'em strong
              "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

              "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

              Question EVERYTHING.

              "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"

              Comment

              • #8
                strongpoint
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 3115

                Originally posted by ktmguy
                17lb rifle puts red dot on it to save weight.. Com'on man! you can easily add 3-5 more pounds with a giant telescope mounted on top of that bad boy. Then off set the red dot at a 45 degree for MAX weight.

                11 years old + 17 pound rifle = DO YOUR KIDS EVEN LIFT BRO!
                LOL get a Picatinny mount for this thing:



                Last edited by strongpoint; 12-26-2016, 9:25 PM.
                .

                Comment

                • #9
                  kustomkat1950
                  airplane guy/Coastal GA
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 1947

                  Never really got an answer....

                  Can I use the .936 low pro gas block? All I have seen is that seems like that is for AR-10?
                  "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

                  "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

                  Question EVERYTHING.

                  "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    strongpoint
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 3115

                    Originally posted by kustomkat1950
                    Never really got an answer....

                    Can I use the .936 low pro gas block? All I have seen is that seems like that is for AR-10?
                    There's not really a difference AFAIK. I Googled "ar15 .936 gas block" and got a ton of retail results back -- Troy, Midwest Industries, YHM, etc.
                    .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      steelheadmike
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 691

                      Yep, any 0.936 GB should work. Go lo pro if you want to fit it under the HG.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        baih777
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 5680

                        any .936 will work.
                        here are a few.


                        I use these. I like the pinch type . these don't leak.


                        and for a light weight one.
                        Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                        I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                        I'm Back.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kustomkat1950
                          airplane guy/Coastal GA
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 1947

                          Thanks, ordered the Troy...
                          "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

                          "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

                          Question EVERYTHING.

                          "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jimi Jah
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2014
                            • 19250

                            "Hey kid, if you can lift it you can shoot it".

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              alpha_romeo_XV
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2006
                              • 3141

                              I just drilled a FF handguard and mounted a sling/bipod stud a couple days ago. I bought a pack of Ny-Lok nuts for this one since I've had some work loose with the standard nuts.
                              Be sure to put stud far enough back to fully support the bi-pod, and it'll be easier to get the nut on before the gas tube/block is in the way.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1