I have a Remington 783 which I enjoy shooting. I was looking into an after market stock and came across the MDT LSS chassis. I saw that the lss and the hs3 (which will be releasing soon for the 783) chassis run from 400-500 bucks which was way more than the rifle. I don't know if it's worth the money since I bought the 783 for a cheap hunting gun. I'd be using the gun more for hunting but anyone have suggestions for stock improvements or is the chassis work the cash. Thanks
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Remington 783 upgrade
Collapse
X
-
Tell us more about that gun. The price is great, is it almost as good as a 700? Which caliber did you get?
I can't see putting money into it as it was so cheap. 700's have all the options, expensive stocks and barrels. A $600 gun can cost $2000 pretty quick. -
Last edited by TMB 1; 01-02-2017, 5:03 PM.sigpic
Comment
-
Randall at AR15 Barrels recommended this a while back.
Shop hardwood gunstocks for any make, model, and action with the Boyds Gunstock Configurator. Choose from several wood and finish options.
All I did to mine was set the trigger at 2.5#, free float the barrel and add a second sling stud and a 4-12 x40 Vortex Crossfire II scope. Oh, I added some acoustic foam my son had laying around in the stock so it wasn't so loud with every tiny impact.
When I was looking at these at Turners, I tried a 700. It was gritty compared to the 783. Maybe it was a one off but my 783 is very smooth.
Lots of people swear by the Savage Axis but the 783 is a sleeper.Comment
-
The 783 is actually pretty accurate for the price. I looked into the 700 but I was really trying to go the "budget" hunting rifle. The plan was not to do any upgrades, but my OCD got the best of me LOL. I bought the WittMachine Muzzle break and saw that they have some after market stocks. I purchased the 308 22 inch version. I saw the boyd's stock and the MDT chassis, but the MDT is $400 and I don't know if that's worth it for this rifle. TMB 1 did the stock improve accuracy as some have claimed and how was boyd's shipping. Ive read they have some problems with that but I usually try not to judge based on a few bad reviews. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questionsComment
-
I never shot mine with the plastic stock. Ordered the Boyds when the 783 was on the 10 day wait and put it on when I got it out. So the shipping wasn't too bad. They were still $99 when I ordered and if I'm remembering right, shipping was $20 for two stocks.sigpic
Comment
-
Put my .223 Remington 783 in a Boyds thumbhole.
Like it a lot.
Only picture I have of it right now...
IMG_20160902_114122944_HDR by Greg Wuister, on Flickr
1A-2A=-1AComment
-
I like that forest camo. Think I might get me another 783 in 223Put my .223 Remington 783 in a Boyds thumbhole.
Like it a lot.
Only picture I have of it right now...
IMG_20160902_114122944_HDR by Greg Wuister, on Flickr
sigpic
Comment
-
When you said an upgrade I thought you meant you got a Tikka.
A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society memberComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,892
Posts: 25,152,850
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,763
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 36581 users online. 136 members and 36445 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment