Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Guy Almost Blows hand off at training

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mikeleallday
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2016
    • 21

    Guy Almost Blows hand off at training

    Last weekend, I was recording a dynamic drill day with shooters learning how to shoot with the focus of moving.

    I was standing recording and this shooter went to reach for his pistol, and grabs the gun and pulls the hammer.

    https://www.bullseyebishop.com/blogs/adventures/guy-almost-blows-of-hand-with-45


    One thing I learned...keep that finger straight of that trigger. YIKES!
  • #2
    The Gleam
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2011
    • 13466

    Originally posted by mikeleallday
    Last weekend, I was recording a dynamic drill day with shooters learning how to shoot with the focus of moving.

    I was standing recording and this shooter went to reach for his pistol, and grabs the gun and pulls the hammer.

    https://www.bullseyebishop.com/blogs/adventures/guy-almost-blows-of-hand-with-45


    One thing I learned...keep that finger straight of that trigger. YIKES!
    I have to wonder if that was the result of muscle memory from too much practicing of Hollywood-style "fast draws" - where said actor is thumbing the hammer upon drawing from a holster - because the Lone Ranger did it that way; with finger going simultaneously to the trigger in the process.

    Doesn't it seem that's what he's doing there to you?

    For that drill, why is he bringing his left hand across his body to the gun anyway, at all - maybe to "slap" the hammer a la Josey Wales because he practices that with a Single-Action Army or Cowboy Shooting action?

    Or was he moving to form a double handed grip on the gun because that is what he usually does?

    He was doing something ingrained from too many rehearsal drills of one and only one method of drawing from his holster.
    Last edited by The Gleam; 12-08-2016, 12:49 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Librarian
    What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

    If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

    Comment

    • #3
      SkyHawk
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2012
      • 23531

      Hopefully they were selling underwear in the range gift shop...
      Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

      Comment

      • #4
        mikeleallday
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2016
        • 21

        Holster Problem?

        I want to say it was a holster problem He was wearing a blackhawk holster. Seemed to kinda put you in a weird finger position. But also it could be from inexperience.

        It was a specific drill that involved moving around and shooting for defense.

        Close call none the less...

        Originally posted by The Gleam
        I have to wonder if that was the result of muscle memory from too much practicing of Hollywood-style "fast draws" - where said actor is thumbing the hammer upon drawing from a holster - because the Lone Ranger did it that way; with finger going simultaneously to the trigger in the process.

        Doesn't it seem that's what he's doing there to you?

        For that drill, why is he bring his left hand across his body to the gun anyway - to "slap" the hammer a la Josey Wales? To form a double handed grip on the gun because that is what he usually does?

        He was doing something ingrained from too many rehearsal drills of one and only one method of drawing from his holster.

        Comment

        • #5
          mikeleallday
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2016
          • 21

          Extra

          LOL, I had extras in the car.

          Originally posted by SkyHawk
          Hopefully they were selling underwear in the range gift shop...

          Comment

          • #6
            The Gleam
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2011
            • 13466

            Originally posted by mikeleallday
            I want to say it was a holster problem He was wearing a blackhawk holster. Seemed to kinda put you in a weird finger position. But also it could be from inexperience.

            It was a specific drill that involved moving around and shooting for defense.

            Close call none the less...
            Crazy. Lucky he still has a left hand.
            -----------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by Librarian
            What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

            If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

            Comment

            • #7
              OniKoroshi
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 1321

              Looks to me like the guy was wearing gloves he wasn't accustomed to and fumbled the draw and instinct was to catch with the left hand.

              Comment

              • #8
                spddrcr
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2006
                • 1585

                It clearly looks as if the gun starts to slip and he was using the left hand to reach up to catch it, as the gun was going down he wrapped his fingers and one ended up in the trigger guard. in the vid he is wearing what looks to be cotton gloves which could have helped the gun slip.
                blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

                "wildhawker
                People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."

                Comment

                • #9
                  bridgeport
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 782

                  Interesting that the writer attempts to blame the actions of the shooters left hand, and his AD, on the shooters holster.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sixoclockhold
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 4040

                    Looks to me the guy has a hair trigger and loses what in the hell he is even doing. He places his index finger on the trigger just as the gun is leaving the holster and then attempts a two handed hold when the drill requires one.

                    If he didn't have a grip on that gun, he would be picking it up from the dirt, no this is total attention loss in some zone in a far off planet.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ZombieLivesMatter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2016
                      • 2533

                      Crazy, as posters has said above it looks like the gun mightve started slipping and he was going to try and catch it with the left while retighting his right hand grip. He got very lucky, I hope you showed that to him so he realizes how lucky he got so he learns from it.
                      Originally posted by gwgn02
                      G-shock, a good way to tell the time, and better way to tell the female variety you are unworthy mating material.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Dago Red
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 586

                        I'm with Oni and spdd. It was an ND but down range. It's why we have more than one safety rule with firearms right, at least nobody got hurt. Sometimes when I shoot on a cold day I wear gloves till it is my turn to shoot and then take them off right before, because I don't practice with them I don't wear them.

                        I had an AD at a match a month ago. Very embarrassing since they DQ you when it happens. In two years of competition it hadn't happened to me before. But I've seen others have it happen as well. Mine was on reload moving between positions. Finger brushed the trigger.

                        At first I was surprised they didn't stop him and at least have him think about what happened and start again. If you think about it though, if the purpose is combative skills maybe it better to "fumble" and keep going?

                        Red

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DaveInOroValley
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 8968

                          Thats going to leave a mark
                          NRA Life Member

                          Vet since 1978

                          "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kokopelli
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 3446

                            Looks like he didn't have a good grasp on the gun. But he definitely had his booger hook on the bang switch.
                            If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald Reagan

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BillyGoatCrawler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 2583

                              That was a negligent discharge. No hammer slip excuse. He drew with the hammer already back. Look between 0:13 and early 0:14 and you see his finger enter the trigger guard while the hammer is clear of anything toughing it.

                              I don't think it had anything to do with the blackhawk holster since he had his finger in the correct position after drawing. The cotton looking gloves couldn't have helped grip and feeling.

                              The instructor/cadre probably should have had him lock and clear to go think about what happened.
                              Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INF

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1