Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lets discuss range bags...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • blackmajik530@aol.com
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2003
    • 67

    Lets discuss range bags...

    Hey everyone...

    I have a question I've been curious about for a while now. This pertains to everyone's range bag in California, and its contents.

    Mainly, do you carry your handguns AND ammo in the range bag as you're going to the range? Or keep the guns and ammo separate until you get to the range?

    Lets have a little more fun, what range bag do you use and whats its content?
    ~Richard
  • #2

    My range bag is actually a toolbox with all the tools I might need as well as 2 pairs of safety glasses and some extra earplugs. I also bring a staple gun, extra staples, and a manilla folder full of targets and stickers.

    I put the ammo in a large metal ammo can, and each gun is in a separate case. Handguns are put in their original containers, one a zipper bag and one a cardboard box and locked in the trunk. Ammo can is put in the floor of the passenger side.

    Comment

    • #3
      C.G.
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 8251

      I keep my ammo and handguns in seperate, locked boxes/cases till I get to the range. Rifles are not locked in soft case(s). All in the back of my SUV - no trunk.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        jmlivingston
        Moderator Emeritus
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 5095

        I have a soft canvas range bag I picked up at a gunshow a few years ago. I keep my pistols in the main compartment and lock it shut through the holes in the zipper with a small padlock. Ammo is kept in one of the outside compartments of the same bag, usually also locked shut with the same padlock.

        I think the bag was made by "***-Kickin'" or something similiar? Contents include lots of mags, a small cleaning kit, small spray can of gun oil, lots of the squishy ear inserts for when I'm out shooting with buddies, my ear-muff-style protectors, eye glasses, ammo, and empty brass if I'm on my way home....

        John



        John

        Comment

        • #5
          Ratters
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 694

          I keep handguns in a locked hard case and everything else in a large or small range bag depending on what I'm brining. Rifles in hard or soft case depending.

          Comment

          • #6
            BSlacker
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2003
            • 923

            I use a I-Shot range bag. Keep the ammo in a sperate box as I reload and just have it loose in a box.

            Comment

            • #7

              All the handguns are in locked boxes (long guns are locked, and then in soft bags). In some cases, they additionally have trigger locks or cable locks through the barrel inside their locked containers. They are locked with a chain to the frame of the car, in the trunk.

              All the other stuff (ammo, glasses and ear muffs, pen to mark targets with, recoil-absorbing glove, and all the other junk) goes into an old canvas duffle bag. It goes in the car too, but far away from the guns (typically tucked under the passenger seat). I use a really old duffle bag, which is occasionally used on weekends to carry tools when volunteering at the school or helping our neighbor fix the tractor, so it looks really beat up.

              This means that unloading at the range is a bit of a circus: typically I end up with 4 or 5 things I need to carry, and then still lock the car. Oh well, life's sooooo tough.

              Comment

              • #8
                C.G.
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 8251

                Originally posted by treelogger:
                All the handguns are in locked boxes (long guns are locked, and then in soft bags). In some cases, they additionally have trigger locks or cable locks through the barrel inside their locked containers. They are locked with a chain to the frame of the car, in the trunk.

                All the other stuff (ammo, glasses and ear muffs, pen to mark targets with, recoil-absorbing glove, and all the other junk) goes into an old canvas duffle bag. It goes in the car too, but far away from the guns (typically tucked under the passenger seat). I use a really old duffle bag, which is occasionally used on weekends to carry tools when volunteering at the school or helping our neighbor fix the tractor, so it looks really beat up.

                This means that unloading at the range is a bit of a circus: typically I end up with 4 or 5 things I need to carry, and then still lock the car. Oh well, life's sooooo tough.
                And here I thought I was <STRIKE>anal</STRIKE> careful.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  rkt88edmo
                  Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10064

                  My range bag is a Brenthaven laptop bag. It is roomy, has pockets & dividers that are useful and it is sturdy enough to carry lots of ammo if need be. I used to use it as the one bag to take everything to the range. Free when you get one from work.

                  Last year I bought a starlight which carries pistols to the range and my rangebag carries everything else. If I am going to be doing a lot of shooting or am bringing ammo for a group I generally have a separate backpack or ammo can/s dedicated to ammo.

                  My range bag has
                  -targets + shoot n Sees + orange dots
                  -target tape, staple gun, spare staples
                  -Paper plates for targets
                  -magazines, at least one for every pistol
                  -2 pair hearing pro. + some disposable plugs
                  -1 pair of my eyepro, plus one loaner pair
                  -mag loaders for the glock, AR, & ruger mkII
                  -Ammo
                  -Otis kit which will clean just about anything
                  -Dropper filled with BreakFree + Small bottle of solvent + extra patches
                  -a couple of pairs of Nitrile gloves
                  -small pair of binoculars
                  -Old T-Shirt/Rag
                  -Plastic dummy rounds of various calibre.
                  -Spare parts for the ARs and Glocks
                  -Spare batteries
                  -notebook log + pen + crayon
                  -range membership cards

                  I leave a 30"x0.18" brass rod in the car.

                  When I first started shooting it was: pistol in the manufacturers case, ammo, eye pro, ear pro, duffle bag, let's go!
                  If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                  Use the goog to search calguns

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Turbinator
                    Administrator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 11972

                    Two bags - one for the items, one for the ammo and other supplies. Makes it easy to keep them separated should I need to show lawful intent. The ammo bag can fit inside the bigger gun bag should I need to consolidate.

                    Turby

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      capitol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2503

                      In one single bag goes EVERYTHING! Rifles, handguns, mags, holster, ammo, ear protection, tools, cleaning rod, patches, targets, binocs, and CLP

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jon.ocab@gmail.com
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • 25

                        I use a Ray-Vin range cart.

                        If I am going to the shooting range, I pack the following items in the range cart:

                        ammunition
                        (stripper/enblock)clips/magazines
                        leatherman tool
                        sight smoker
                        open bolt indicator(s)
                        notepad and pen
                        cleaning solvent
                        oil
                        bore guides
                        bag of cleaning patches, brushes, jags, muzzle guides

                        Items that I keep separate are:

                        spotting scope
                        scope stand
                        tripods
                        cleaning rods
                        cleaning stand
                        shooting coat
                        ammo cans with surplus ammo and/or chronograph and small tools
                        -j

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kruzr
                          In Memoriam
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1751

                          My primary range bag is a GunMate with a zippered padded pocket on both sides. If I take one or two guns, this is the bag I take. Ammo in boxes and empty mags, ears, eyes, tools, and rags go in the center section. The side compartments can be locked for "compliance".

                          If I'm taking more than 2 guns, I break out the aluminum Winchester double sided gun case. I can fit 5 handguns in there and it locks with 4 latches and has hasps for padlocks.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Black_Talon
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 2281

                            I use a Green mountain bag.

                            I've been using it since 1989. It's been to a million IPSC matches and it still looks basically brand new. No broken zippers, frayed nylon or any other problems.

                            When I want to travel a bit lighter and more low key, I use one of the Springfield mini range bags. It looks like a laptop case but can easily hold one pistol rug, a few hundred rounds of ammo, a set of muffs and some miscellaneous tools and accessories.
                            sigpic

                            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rascal
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 1053

                              Handguns are in a locked hard case. Rifles are in locked hard cases. Everything else goes in the range bag. Ammo goes in ammo cans.
                              Rascal

                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1