Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

80% serializing at costa mesa gun show

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 350skylark
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 1129

    80% serializing at costa mesa gun show

    Anyone been at a gun show lately and saw the prices? In looking to get it done.. Also it's a completed lower am I alright to just bring that in the show?
    Selling lots of Pistol brass, lots of 38 and 44 mag!
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post15935994
  • #2
    God Bless America
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2014
    • 5165

    Look up Micro Laser Welding.

    Avoid the 91 today.

    Comment

    • #3
      350skylark
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 1129

      Just a heads up, I went mostly because I had nothing to do today, they are akng $65 for everything per atf, however they cannot do it for a lower that is complete only 80%
      Selling lots of Pistol brass, lots of 38 and 44 mag!
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post15935994

      Comment

      • #4
        Cokebottle
        Señor Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2009
        • 32373

        Originally posted by 350skylark
        Just a heads up, I went mostly because I had nothing to do today, they are akng $65 for everything per atf, however they cannot do it for a lower that is complete only 80%
        Sounds like they can't do it at the show while you wait.
        Can they do it at their shop while you wait? They don't need an FFL for that.

        Most likely, any jewelry engraver/trophy shop can do it while you wait.
        - Rich

        Originally posted by dantodd
        A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

        Comment

        • #5
          SoCal Gunner
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 1632

          ^Was that the folks from Micro Laser Welding? I thought they would do a completed lower on the spot?
          .

          .

          California Reloading Club - IE Section

          Comment

          • #6
            Marauder2003
            Waiting for Abs
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Aug 2010
            • 3123

            I have been told by 2 gun show engravers that ATF told them they cannot do a non-80% lower. Unless they have a FFL 07. ATF considers it manufacturing.
            #NotMyPresident
            #ArrestFauci
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              uxo2
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 4003

              Need ATF approval to engrave a 80%..?


              Sounds like BS response
              Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
              Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
              One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
              George Patton

              Comment

              • #8
                350skylark
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 1129

                It was not micro laser welding, they were not there. They one that was said that beginning October 1st atf does not allow them to engrave a complete lower even if the person is waiting there. Technically it's not complete without the numbers now right?
                Selling lots of Pistol brass, lots of 38 and 44 mag!
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post15935994

                Comment

                • #9
                  swell1957
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 859

                  Originally posted by Marauder2003
                  I have been told by 2 gun show engravers that ATF told them they cannot do a non-80% lower. Unless they have a FFL 07. ATF considers it manufacturing.
                  Recently there was an FFL seminar put on by the ATF in San Diego that I attended. The ATF (Los Angeles division) specifically stated that people are going to be coming to FFLs for engraving. Per their words, an 01 or 07 FFL can engrave a customer's 80% receiver. This is not manufacturing.
                  An 07 wont even engrave their information on the receiver. The 07 isn't the one that manufactured the firearm.

                  Also, an FFL is necessary to work on firearms. Just ask the ATF or a firearms attorney. I've done both. The people who do it while you wait just haven't been caught yet! They're not on the radar so the ATF has no reason to look for them, but don't give them a reason

                  I am not an attorney. Nothing posted here is legal advice. Consult your own attorney.
                  Last edited by swell1957; 10-10-2016, 5:51 PM.
                  AB Prototype - Oak Ridge, TN
                  contact@abprototype.com

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    swell1957
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 859

                    Originally posted by 350skylark
                    It was not micro laser welding, they were not there. They one that was said that beginning October 1st atf does not allow them to engrave a complete lower even if the person is waiting there. Technically it's not complete without the numbers now right?
                    See post above. Did this place have an FFL? If not, that is why they said they can't even if the customer is waiting.
                    The only "benefit" to a customer waiting is that it doesn't have to be logged in the A&D book.
                    Last edited by swell1957; 10-10-2016, 5:48 PM. Reason: Additional info added
                    AB Prototype - Oak Ridge, TN
                    contact@abprototype.com

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Marauder2003
                      Waiting for Abs
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 3123

                      Originally posted by uxo2
                      Need ATF approval to engrave a 80%..?


                      Sounds like BS response
                      I said a non-80%. Meaning you finished it and now want it engraved. ATF says engraving a finished lower is manufacturing and therefore the engraver must be a FFL 07.
                      #NotMyPresident
                      #ArrestFauci
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        swell1957
                        Vendor/Retailer
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 859

                        Originally posted by Marauder2003
                        I said a non-80%. Meaning you finished it and now want it engraved. ATF says engraving a finished lower is manufacturing and therefore the engraver must be a FFL 07.
                        Have you confirmed this with the ATF? I say this is incorrect having just come from an ATF given seminar two weeks ago.
                        Last edited by swell1957; 10-10-2016, 8:16 PM.
                        AB Prototype - Oak Ridge, TN
                        contact@abprototype.com

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AdidasCJ
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 1135

                          I was told this buy a local laser engraver as well... that they can do the 80s... but once they are milled, they can not.

                          SOOO "Register" You Assault Weapons, but you cant go many places to get the engraving done....
                          'socialism is fine, until you run out of other peoples money'

                          -Maggie Thatcher

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SoCal Gunner
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 1632

                            Originally posted by Marauder2003
                            I said a non-80%. Meaning you finished it and now want it engraved. ATF says engraving a finished lower is manufacturing and therefore the engraver must be a FFL 07.
                            Originally posted by swell1957
                            Have you confirmed this with the ATF? I say this is incorrect having just come from an ATF given seminar two weeks ago.
                            Almost nothing would surprise me, but how can a lower be "more finished" or "manufactured" if it its already been finished and thus manufactured? So I cant take my Daniel Defense AR15 in and have some engraving done?
                            .

                            .

                            California Reloading Club - IE Section

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              swell1957
                              Vendor/Retailer
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 859

                              Originally posted by AdidasCJ
                              I was told this buy a local laser engraver as well... that they can do the 80s... but once they are milled, they can not.

                              SOOO "Register" You Assault Weapons, but you cant go many places to get the engraving done....
                              The question should be whether or not these shops are FFLs.
                              If they are not FFLs, then they cannot engrave lowers.
                              If they are 01 or 07 FFLs, they can engrave lowers.

                              this not legal advise!
                              AB Prototype - Oak Ridge, TN
                              contact@abprototype.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1