Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kimber mags and Wolf ammo Q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • A-J
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2586

    Kimber mags and Wolf ammo Q's

    I figured I'd combine these two questions for simplicity.

    Quesion 1: I was at the LGS today talking to a sales guy who IME is a very knowledgeable person. He intimated that the quality of Kimber factory mags was crap. I found it odd since my wife's mags have worked perfectly fine from day 1 and they're all factory direct from Kimber. Has anyone heard this or have specific info if you have? I'd be interested in the scoop, as I did not find anything in my searches regarding this. Any info is appreciated as we have two Kimbers now, so it will be relevant in the future.

    Question 2: Why is Wolf ammo forbidden at most ranges (at least all the ones in the SFV)? Again, none of my searches have turned up specific details on why this is the case, but I have seen plenty of people recommending Wolf ammo to others. Why would ranges ban that specific brand of ammo (as opposed to ammo type, IE HP rounds)? I have my preferred brands of ammo that I use, but if the brand simply has a bad name for no valid reason (or outdated reasons) it would be nice to know in case the right deal came up as they sometimes do.

    As always, thanks to all the CGers who contribute to this site, and especially to anyone who can shed light on the above!
    It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
  • #2
    damon1272
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 4857

    Kimber mags are GTG. There are better on the market but they wrk and function just fine.

    As to the ammo, wolf is not reloadable. There is no value in steel casings which get recycled and sold off.

    Comment

    • #3
      bk23103
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 1095

      Probably because most (if not all) Wolf ammo has a steel penetrator that could damage the backstop of an indoor range, or potentially cause sparks upon hitting things at outdoor ranges. It's also thought to be fairly dirty and made to different standards than other ammo, so a lot of folks don't want the perceived liability of messing with it. For the record, I've used Wolf/Tula in my rifles for years without a hiccup.
      Last edited by bk23103; 09-25-2016, 1:21 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Merc1138
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19742

        Originally posted by A-J
        I figured I'd combine these two questions for simplicity.

        Quesion 1: I was at the LGS today talking to a sales guy who IME is a very knowledgeable person. He intimated that the quality of Kimber factory mags was crap. I found it odd since my wife's mags have worked perfectly fine from day 1 and they're all factory direct from Kimber. Has anyone heard this or have specific info if you have? I'd be interested in the scoop, as I did not find anything in my searches regarding this. Any info is appreciated as we have two Kimbers now, so it will be relevant in the future.

        Question 2: Why is Wolf ammo forbidden at most ranges (at least all the ones in the SFV)? Again, none of my searches have turned up specific details on why this is the case, but I have seen plenty of people recommending Wolf ammo to others. Why would ranges ban that specific brand of ammo (as opposed to ammo type, IE HP rounds)? I have my preferred brands of ammo that I use, but if the brand simply has a bad name for no valid reason (or outdated reasons) it would be nice to know in case the right deal came up as they sometimes do.

        As always, thanks to all the CGers who contribute to this site, and especially to anyone who can shed light on the above!
        Aside from some versions of wolf ammo smelling like cat piss, and the steel cases that ranges don't want to be bothered to sort through, they may not want anything but copper and lead going down range due to their backstop so it's easier to just ban wolf ammo altogether.

        Comment

        • #5
          Jimmy's
          Veteran Member
          • May 2016
          • 2600

          Kimber mags are fine, Wolf ammo crap.

          Comment

          • #6
            AusomeDood
            Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 198

            Kimber mags are crap. I went with Wilson Combat and haven't looked back. The factory Kimber mag I have wouldn't feed correctly for some reason. Also, reloading it was a pain because of the follower wanting to go forward and getting stuck on the body of the mag, causing it to not go down when you push the round down. The Wilson Combat mags are 1,000,000X better. Also quite expensive but very worth it.

            Wolf Ammo is ok for SKS's, AK's, VEPR 12's or anything else you're just having fun with. They're not going to be super accurate but as far as reliably shooting, I've never had any failures of any kind with it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jimi Jah
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2014
              • 19230

              The Wolf ban seems universal. If you bring in Wolf Gold .223 they will balk. Take it out of the box and put it into a plastic bag then it's GTG.

              I do that with all my ammo now to avoid opinions. As long as it passes the magnet test I'm OK.

              Comment

              • #8
                A-J
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 2586

                Thanks for the input y'all! I'm glad to see that (on balance) everyone gave a reasonable level of detail to support their positions. That's refreshing! As it turns out, Exile Machine had a good deal on some non-Kimber mags so I scooped up a couple. We'll see how they shoot.
                It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1