Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Trap guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    glockman19
    Banned
    • Jun 2007
    • 10486

    Originally posted by russ69
    Go shoot your 870 until you know what a trap gun is. Trap, skeet, or sporting clays can be very different guns. Darn if that Beretta isn't a nice gun, but it's not a trap gun. This is a trap gun. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/692-xtrap/

    Here's a Silver Pigeon competition gun:




    .
    Yes I'm so Green I have no ideal of the proper nomenclature.

    I love the look of the Sliver Pigeon I, II & III and want a quality heirloom that can be passed down for generations.

    Comment

    • #17
      glockman19
      Banned
      • Jun 2007
      • 10486

      Originally posted by GunNut666
      I have been shooting trap for many years. Your 870 would be just fine to start. I started with a Remington 1100. A few years ago I bought a Browning 525 sporting clays gun 30" barrels and its ported. I shoot trap,sporting clays and hunt with it. I think fitment is most important.
      Fitment...is there a "size chart"? can I measure from shoulder to trigger finger to get a basic fitment measurement?

      I measure from the tip of my trigger finger to my shoulder 28". Is there a Manufacturer that would be a "better fit" than others?

      Comment

      • #18
        AAShooter
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2010
        • 7188

        Originally posted by glockman19
        Fitment...is there a "size chart"? can I measure from shoulder to trigger finger to get a basic fitment measurement?

        I measure from the tip of my trigger finger to my shoulder 28". Is there a Manufacturer that would be a "better fit" than others?
        Watch the videos I post above, they will help understand. Realize they only address the main issues and there is more detail if you want to get into it. This is a good book on the topic: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1451570384/

        Comment

        • #19
          glockman19
          Banned
          • Jun 2007
          • 10486

          Originally posted by AAShooter
          Watch the videos I post above, they will help understand. Realize they only address the main issues and there is more detail if you want to get into it. This is a good book on the topic: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1451570384/

          Thank you.

          It looks kike i should practice the consistency of my mount with my 870 first. Then I'll demo a few. Then buy one. I have a Birthday coming up and would like to get myself a shotgun.

          Thanks for the video and links.

          Now...Where In Southern California can I find someone to properly fit me to the shotgun I eventually get?
          Last edited by glockman19; 09-24-2016, 4:18 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            russ69
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2009
            • 9348

            Originally posted by glockman19
            ...I love the look of the Sliver Pigeon I, II & III and want a quality heirloom that can be passed down for generations.
            That is a very nice gun, you could do a lot worse.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              Urban Achiever
              Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 244

              Do you plan on shooting skeet and sporting clays? If so, then, if your budget allows, pick up the Beretta with extra barrels for skeet and trap. Otherwise, a 28" barrel would be a compromise barrel.

              Comment

              • #22
                langss
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 929

                Back in the 70's I bought a Remington 870 TB Trap. It has served me well all these years including sporting a Mossberg replacement 18" barrel when I needed an extra HD shotgun. I would try the 870 you have now and see if it will get you further into the sport before you decide to upgrade.

                Comment

                • #23
                  geedavell
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 1820

                  Originally posted by glockman19
                  Thank you.


                  Now...Where In Southern California can I find someone to properly fit me to the shotgun I eventually get?
                  Shotgun choke tubes, installation in 12 20 28ga .410 bore. Screw In Choke. Standarad and thin-wall systems, Barrel porting, gunfitting, recoil pad installation, lengthening, polishing long forcing cones, chamber and head spacing work. Custom gunfitting and refinishing. Pads and sights, Bob Day, Shotgun Modifications, R&D Custom Barrel, Americhoke

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    dpr
                    Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 372

                    Take a look at a Browning BT99 with a 34" barrel, choke tubes and an adjustable comb. For singles and handicap it's all the gun you'll really ever need. If you out grow that you'll be spending $10K+ on a Perazzi.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Dago Red
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 586

                      Talk to gunsmiths before you buy a perrazi, there's a reason all the major matches have a perazzi sponsored smith there to fix em

                      In my experience trap shooters are great about letting you try their guns, often times there are guns out there the guys are willing to sell. I have a browning superposed Lightning from 57 I bought for I think 750, and another 350 I think having it reworked. Now it's tight as a bank vault and will probably go 30 years.

                      Once you try some things if you still want the beretta go here


                      My grandpa has one of the etchens (Joel etchens order special configurations from beretta each year with incredible wood) trap combos w a double and under single. He hardly ever uses the under single. I would buy the sporting gun (I didn't see anybody explain it but a sporting barrel is ab field gun basically, you put the sights on the bird and shoot. Good for sporting clays. A trap barrel the sight picture has you just under the bird so you can keep it in view better) and then add a trap barrel. Puts you at 4800 or so, and definitely a beautiful gun you could pass down. It's a tough gun too. My grandpa has the adjustable cheek piece on his and an adjustable pad is easy

                      Red

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        2mean2like
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 64

                        Go to Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa. They are a Premier Beretta dealer with some really nice shotguns. They also sell others shotguns that will just blow you mind with looks and price.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          dpr
                          Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 372

                          Originally posted by Dago Red
                          Talk to gunsmiths before you buy a perrazi, there's a reason all the major matches have a perazzi sponsored smith there to fix em
                          It's always funny how the guys who talk fud about Perazzi's have never owned one, let alone shot 100,000+ targets with one....

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            russ69
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 9348

                            Originally posted by Dago Red
                            Talk to gunsmiths before you buy a perrazi, there's a reason all the major matches have a perazzi sponsored smith there to fix em ...
                            Originally posted by dpr
                            It's always funny how the guys who talk fud about Perazzi's have never owned one, let alone shot 100,000+ targets with one....
                            The boy is jelly.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              cudakidd
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 3354

                              Originally posted by Dago Red
                              Talk to gunsmiths before you buy a perrazi, there's a reason all the major matches have a perazzi sponsored smith there to fix em

                              In my experience trap shooters are great about letting you try their guns, often times there are guns out there the guys are willing to sell. I have a browning superposed Lightning from 57 I bought for I think 750, and another 350 I think having it reworked. Now it's tight as a bank vault and will probably go 30 years.

                              Once you try some things if you still want the beretta go here


                              My grandpa has one of the etchens (Joel etchens order special configurations from beretta each year with incredible wood) trap combos w a double and under single. He hardly ever uses the under single. I would buy the sporting gun (I didn't see anybody explain it but a sporting barrel is ab field gun basically, you put the sights on the bird and shoot. Good for sporting clays. A trap barrel the sight picture has you just under the bird so you can keep it in view better) and then add a trap barrel. Puts you at 4800 or so, and definitely a beautiful gun you could pass down. It's a tough gun too. My grandpa has the adjustable cheek piece on his and an adjustable pad is easy

                              Red

                              In all my years of shooting my Perazzis I've broken a single spring...total. A little FUD goes a long way eh?

                              And for the OP, fit is everything. Try some different guns, possibly with a Instructor to help evaluate you for fit.

                              If you reload you will like a O/U for ease of hull retention. All of my buddies shoot O/U but we also all have Semis as well.

                              And a dedicated Trap gun tends to be specialized, a Good Sporting clays gun will do for almost everything.

                              Barrel length is sort of subject to a Fad. Use do to be that for Skeet, General Purpose 26" was the Norm, my Grade V Citori has that and I shot it just fine for Sporting Clays.

                              The Average for all of my buddies is 28" for Skeet, few of us shoot Trap.

                              We all shoot Sporting Clays, you can shoot it with almost any Normal Gun. The fad there is the 32-34" barrel and extended chokes...
                              TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                              The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

                              William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Sharp Shooter
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2013
                                • 1128

                                As others have said fitment is the key and it depends if you are going to shoot other clay sports. The drop is crucial. Trap guns have two beads on the barrel. One on the muzzle end and one about halfway down the barrel. The sight picture is the clay on top of the bead on the muzzle end and the bead on the muzzle end on top of the bead on the middle of the barrel. This is different than bird hunting where you cover the bird with the barrel.

                                I suggest you don't start shooting trap with a bird gun because then you will have to get used to a different sight picture when you buy a trap gun.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1