Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need advice on "fake" Colt purchase

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sackett
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2009
    • 315

    Need advice on "fake" Colt purchase

    So I started my 10 day wait on a Colt 9mm Commander this weekend. It's very well worn, but looked great for an old gun. I took a couple pictures of it when I payed and dros'ed it. It was on consignment by one of the employees of the shop, but that particular person wasn't working that day.

    Today I called Colt with the serial # asking if they could tell me anything about it, It turns out the frame isn't a Colt. But the slide is. And the gentlemen on the phone said the Custom Shop wouldn't work on it. They only service Colts. The sales tag on the pistol reads Colt Commander 9mm. All the paperwork I filled out says Colt. But I didn't actually buy a Colt.

    I now feel tricked. The gun store isn't open today or I'd call them. Before I do, do you guys have any advice for me?

    If I ask for my money back, am I justified? I paid $800. I really don't want an 800 dollar do it yourself at home project somebody did. I'm trying to see this from all perspectives.... I think the seller knows it isn't a Colt, they work at one of the busiest gun stores in Northern California. I couldn't imagine them never looking up the serial # on an old 9mm Commander.
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    Really depends. Ideally this is something you should have investigated before making the purchase, so the shop would be well within their rights to charge you a cancellation/restocking fee/whatever. However the shop themselves misidentified the pistol and misrepresented it(possibly unintentionally).

    Assuming the guy who runs the gun ship isn't a **** head, and you don't immediately start with an attitude, it should be a simple enough matter to resolve(possibly less the DROS fee). However you're going to want to get the actual owner of the shop involved(in a friendly manner), and explain that they can call Colt as well about the S/N to get the same info you did.

    Comment

    • #3
      Garv the innocent
      RSG Minion, Senior
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Apr 2014
      • 9078

      You should ask for your money back.

      Make sure you have all the paperwork that says Colt Commander on it and a letter from Colt saying it is not.
      Small claims court if they object possibly.
      Originally posted by Kestryll:
      It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

      Comment

      • #4
        jimx
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1223

        Originally posted by Sackett



        I now feel tricked.
        You only feel that way because you were.

        Comment

        • #5
          machrono
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 637

          Originally posted by Sackett
          Today I called Colt with the serial # asking if they could tell me anything about it, It turns out the frame isn't a Colt.
          So the frame only has a serial number and no manufacturer markings? Could still be legit if an older Colt frame. Post pics for the 1911 fanboys

          Comment

          • #6
            Cody805
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2015
            • 1229

            Post pics!!

            Comment

            • #7
              2meterB
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 1728

              Post partial serial num

              Comment

              • #8
                -hanko
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2002
                • 14174

                Pics of the serial number.

                Which gun shop sold you the "commander" ?
                True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                Comment

                • #9
                  HUTCH 7.62
                  In Memoriam
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 11298

                  Originally posted by Cody805
                  Post pics!!
                  This.


                  ......and
                  Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
                  Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

                  http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ZirconJohn
                    Rattlesnake Hunter
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 10378

                    Originally posted by Cody805
                    Post pics!!
                    Waiting for pics ... of everything ...!
                    .
                    "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
                    "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
                    .
                    ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      PolishMike
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 6034

                      Post pics of what it says on the frame. I have had Colt tell me they don't have a serial number on file from a Colt before.
                      Artist formally known as CEO of Tracy Rifle and Pistol

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        machrono
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 637

                        Originally posted by PolishMike
                        .....I have had Colt tell me they don't have a serial number on file from a Colt before.
                        That can't be surprising. Here is what the place looks like these days:

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Sackett
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 315

                          The man at Colt said Commanders always have letters in the serial.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkyHawk
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 23531

                            A 4 digit Colt serial on a Commander? Hmmmm. I have seen some early 1950s Commanders with 3 or 4 digits followd by -LW (light weight). And if they DROS it as a Colt and put Colt on the 4473 and in their bound book, but it isn't really a Colt - that sounds like trouble for the FFL.

                            Sounds like you have plenty of reasons to ask for your money back. This is a $400 gun, that might be a cast frame...

                            Did you pay by card or cash?
                            Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-19-2016, 5:28 PM.
                            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bsg
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 25954

                              if the frame is not Colt, the pistol is not Colt and whether intentional or not was misrepresented.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1