Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Selling gun on Calguns . . . procedure

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brother_Hesekiel
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 771

    Selling gun on Calguns . . . procedure

    I have offered a gun for sale. Got PMs from three members (1), (2), and (3), of which two, (2) and (3), matured to a point where we agreed to meet. Not a firm place and time, but approximately.

    Member (3) wants to meet on Friday, sometime, and member (2) wants to meet on Tuesday, so three days earlier. I entertained both offers to meet.

    After I did that, member (3) posted "I'll take it" on the forum. Member (2) did not do that. How do I proceed now? Do I tell member (2) that member (3) has the first shot based on his post on the thread, although three days later, or do I meet member (2) and if member (2) takes the gun, tell member (3) that it has been sold.

    I want to play this by the rule book. Advise needed.
  • #2
    manuelcardenas77
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 2544

    I usually go by the first PM, the time schedule is up to you, I've held items for sellers with positive feedback for up to a week.

    Comment

    • #3
      skosh69
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 4290

      Originally posted by manuelcardenas77
      I usually go by the first PM, the time schedule is up to you, I've held items for sellers with positive feedback for up to a week.
      I would have to agree with ^^^ Unless you stated "first I'll take it gets it", then first pm gets first dibs. If it doesn't work out with #2 on Tues, then #3 is up on Friday.

      Let both parties know what's up also, no need to string anyone along either. But that's just me.

      Comment

      • #4
        Freedom_shooter
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2015
        • 901

        Selling gun on Calguns . . . procedure

        I view PM's as informal. If I make an arrangement, I ask the potential buyer to post in the thread claiming the top in the pecking order.
        That also makes other potential buyers less skeptical about you given the private nature of PM's.

        If I got a "hot" item then I'll ask for a $50/$100 deposit so it keeps the buyer honest and I resist urges to sell to a impatient buyer who is determined to buy the item that same day.

        A lot of this is predicated on the buyers itrader rating as well.

        Comment

        • #5
          -hanko
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 14174

          Originally posted by Freedom_shooter
          I view PM's as informal. If I make an arrangement, I ask the potential buyer to post in the thread claiming the top in the pecking order.
          That also makes other potential buyers less skeptical about you given the private nature of PM's.

          If I got a "hot" item then I'll ask for a $50/$100 deposit so it keeps the buyer honest and I resist urges to sell to a impatient buyer who is determined to buy the item that same day.

          A lot of this is predicated on the buyers itrader rating as well.
          I'm of the opposite view...I'm used to selling on forums (e.g., arf and the FAL File) where the first "I'll take it" is the same as shaking the buyer's or seller's hand through the web.

          But situational ethics as found in California pretty much negate the old saw that "a man's word is his bond"...no rules here that I've ever seen controlling who's first. If I actually have to post a weapon FS, I always note that 1st I'll take it seals the deal.

          Normally, anything I buy or sell I can do without the Marketplace here simply by sending a PM to someone who notes they might be interested in a certain gun in a thread on calguns not related to buying or selling.
          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

          Comment

          • #6
            ifilef
            Banned
            • Apr 2008
            • 5665

            I look at it this way- there's no deal until there's a deal.

            If both parties agree on price, date, time and location of PPT, I mark the listing as SPF to that person. Everything else is just bargaining and 'ifs' and 'buts' and 'maybes'.
            Last edited by ifilef; 09-05-2016, 6:00 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              beerman
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2009
              • 5193

              1st PM of "I'll take it" rule here....If a guy posts I'll take it in a thread,he should have already PM'ed the seller. Since I usually give my guns away cheap, I've been thru this. And no I don't have anything for sale at this time.

              Comment

              • #8
                uxo2
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 4003

                I'll take it
                Trumps all.
                Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
                Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
                George Patton

                Comment

                • #9
                  hermosabeach
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19807

                  Showing up with cash and taking it trumps all
                  Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                  Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                  Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                  Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                  (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ElDub1950
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 5688

                    It should be the first one you solidify the deal with. "I'll take it" posts and PMs are nice to have but until you both agree on the price and terms, they don't mean anything.

                    I've rejected a first PM with a full price offers because the buyer had 1 post and no iTrader. Had another where we agreed on everything until it came to where to do the transfer and the buyer wanted me to drive 90 miles 1 way to meet near him. So, 'I'll take it' and a PM mean more than someone is interested.

                    I don't buy and sell much, but personally, I don't feel obligated to accept any particular offer. But as soon as we agree on the price, place, date & time, then it's over.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ElDub1950
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 5688

                      Originally posted by beerman
                      1st PM of "I'll take it" rule here....If a guy posts I'll take it in a thread,he should have already PM'ed the seller. Since I usually give my guns away cheap, I've been thru this. And no I don't have anything for sale at this time.
                      There's no '1st PM' rule here.

                      But rule #2 does state:
                      2) Buyers and Sellers assume any and all risks in any transaction.

                      Since I assume all risks, I retain the right to evaluate any PM however I wish, and decide on a case by case basis.

                      Marketplace Rules

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        billped
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2504

                        Whatever you decide, communicate politely to the others. You will need one of them if the first flakes (and we have a very high flake ratio).
                        Bill

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          golfrj
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 1623

                          ALWAYS state in your ad first "I will take It" gets the deal.. Your situation now, I say go with the guy who is Ready to BUY NOW..

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkyHawk
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 23531

                            First one to agree with me on a time, place, and price is in the first slot when I sell. Assuming the buyer has good feedback, it doesn't matter if someone else can meet sooner, if they were not the first to agree to a time, place, and price they are not first. If you are in a bad way for cash in a hurry, that might not work for you in which case you should give the first buyer a chance to meet your deadline.

                            If negotiations with two buyers was progressing along similar tracks, and they both agreed to the time/place/price then I guess the first to have PMd me gets first dibs.

                            All that depends on feedback though, a tie breaker always goes to the guy with higher feedback if there is a wide disparity in feedback. That is my prerogative as a seller. Because as others have said, we have some flakes here.

                            As a buyer, I usually only post "I'll take it" after I have agreed to a time, place and price with the seller. At that time, I am of the mind that we have made a deal and my public posting of "i'll take it" is done sometimes by request of the seller, or otherwise to give the seller confidence that I have also made a public commitment on top of my private commitment. It sounds like one of your buyers has done this.

                            Whatever you do, figure out who is your number one right away, and let the other guy know he is #2 with first dibs if the deal falls through.
                            Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-05-2016, 6:44 PM.
                            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Cokebottle
                              Seņor Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 32373

                              ^^^ This.

                              It would suck to bypass the Tuesday potential buyer only to have the Friday guy flake.
                              The "I'll take it" post may have been to simply support a later negative iTrader if he knew that you were in contact with other potential buyers.

                              Either way you're kinda screwed now.
                              Sell it on Tuesday and Friday leaves you a neg.
                              Tell Tuesday "Sorry, Mr Friday said I'll Take It" and you get a neg from him... and when Friday flakes, the offered price just got knocked down.
                              - Rich

                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1