Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking to buy my first AR. Suggestions?...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tdrcomm
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 9

    Looking to buy my first AR. Suggestions?...

    Hey folks. I'm looking to purchase my first AR before the first of the year (for obvious reasons). I don't want to build my own just yet and I have a max budget of $1200. Looking for suggestions from the group. Thanks!
  • #2
    Whiterabbit
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2010
    • 7597

    whatever feels good in your hands at the store, and sights the way you like when you shoulder it.

    The rest is going to either be the same, or can be adjusted cheaply.

    Everything else, like name brand, rail here or there, adjusting or not adjusting stock, feature or featureless, it's all up to you.

    But I suggest you do not sacrifice fit and feel. Especially if you have (for example) a percieved need for a lower rail on the handguard or whatever you think is a real requirement.

    A rifle that feels good, gets shot.

    Comment

    • #3
      Wordupmybrotha
      From anotha motha
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2013
      • 6965

      S&W M&P 15 Sport is a great value at ~$600 for used or ~$700 new. Rest of your budget can go to ammo, which will also be restricted.

      Comment

      • #4
        geoint
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2014
        • 4385

        Originally posted by wordupmybrotha
        S&W M&P 15 Sport is a great value at ~$600 for used or ~$700 new. Rest of your budget can go to ammo, which will also be restricted.
        Silly caligunner you got those prices mixed up, it's $600 new, $700 used.


        OP is $1200 max budget for everything or just for the rifle, with more money for ammo and accessories. If it's max budget, ya a S&W M&P 15 sport is about all you can afford. Not a bad rifle but you could get something a lot more fancy and quality for not much more money.

        Right now you could get a BCM upper with bcg and charging handle for like $620. Buy a complete lower (any brand just make sure it's not polymer or hybrid) for $200. Not bad. Since you're only paying sales tax on the lower if you go the BCM route, the difference in price between the Two is also reduced somewhat. Still some money left over for ammo, couple mags, a rear sight and a sling.
        Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

        I Hate California.

        Comment

        • #5
          WartHog
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 4639

          Windham Weaponry MPC or SRC - add optics/sights of your choice and spend anything left on Mags/Ammo.
          Originally posted by Sierra57
          Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
          "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

          Comment

          • #6
            tdrcomm
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2016
            • 9

            The $1200 is just for the rifle. If the shooting addiction is anywhere close to my handguns then I'm prepared for the additional "ammo and accessories" sticker shock. LOL

            Comment

            • #7
              Wordupmybrotha
              From anotha motha
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2013
              • 6965

              Originally posted by geoint
              Silly caligunner you got those prices mixed up, it's $600 new, $700 used.
              But 700 is what the seller paid. Who cares that people can get it cheaper at the store.

              Comment

              • #8
                myk
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5955

                With 2017 coming around in a matter of months your first AR is likely your last. Buy the best you can afford: LMT, Daniel Defense, Colt...buy once, cry once...


                I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...

                Comment

                • #9
                  tdrcomm
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • 9

                  Originally posted by myk
                  With 2017 coming around in a matter of months your first AR is likely your last. Buy the best you can afford: LMT, Daniel Defense, Colt...buy once, cry once...
                  I hear ya. I had been putting it off but now's the time if there was one.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    johnthomas
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7001

                    I bought a MP15 sport 2. I pick it up tomorrow at big 5. We did a ppt there, 35 bucks.
                    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      The Tiger
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 1989

                      I suggest you buy 2
                      sigpic
                      NRA Benefactor
                      CRPA Life Member
                      GOA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        j15w
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 869

                        For a plinker I couldn't justify paying upwards of $600 more for a rifle. Just look for a chrome lined barrel.
                        It was just an old plywood boat, with a '75 Johnson, with electric choke. A young boy, two hands on the wheel, I can't replace the way it made me feel.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tdrcomm
                          Junior Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • 9

                          Originally posted by geoint
                          ... Not a bad rifle but you could get something a lot more fancy and quality for not much more money.
                          Very true but I think I'll save that for when I get outta Cali.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mikeovers
                            Member
                            • Mar 2014
                            • 448

                            Buy a S&W complete lower then one of their gas piston uppers
                            Buy guns online at Impact Guns, a trusted online gun store since 1992 — handguns, rifles, shotguns, and ammo from top brands. Competitive prices, ships to your FFL.

                            Great value just have to wait on the back order but in terms of getting the best return value if you want to sell down the road it's well worth it an well below your budget. Don't get in a hurry remember when it comes to buying firearms (Good, Fast, and Cheap) you can only choose two and can't have all three.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              teh rick
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2016
                              • 501

                              I started with a $1000-1200 budget and found not much difference in any of the $700-1200 stuff (IMO!!) and ended up with a Daniel defense for way over budget. Good luck! I liked the colt options for around $1000 and if I could do it over I would probably just buy a BCM upper for $700-900 and a lower in the $2-300 range and call it a day.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1