Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best noob-friendly shop/range in SoCal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • slacker033
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 8

    Best noob-friendly shop/range in SoCal?

    Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

    I'm looking to purchase my first firearm. I've shot a gun once in my life at a range so I know next to nothing about them.

    Definitely plan on doing some research first but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good shop/range in the LA area (preferably close to the SF Valley but I'm willing to venture out) with a decent selection and competitive prices that's very accommodating to neophytes.

    Also, any recommendations for a good firearm basics training course?
  • #2
    Tovarish
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2014
    • 1615

    The Firing Line in Burbank has an excellent class for beginners. It lasts a few hours and teaches you everything you need to know about pistols and revolvers. The manager will remember you from the class and will help you out in the future.

    It costs $75 plus any ammo you shoot, and you just show up by 9am any Saturday.

    Comment

    • #3
      Calico1404
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2016
      • 3401

      Ask tons of questions here and then visit Alamo Pawn in West Co or Ammo bros. I wouldn't trust walking into a shop and asking the proper questions there.

      Fav caliber? Any firearms you have been considering as your main focus to obtain? Ask here, and you may just find what you are looking for here in the meantime.

      Welcome in!

      Comment

      • #4
        Tovarish
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2014
        • 1615

        As for a shop, the best prices and selection I am aware of are at Guns Direct and Turner's. A lot of us travel to neighboring counties to do our gun purchases because there are more shops there.

        Don't buy your gun until you've had range experience. It's better that you know what you want before you go to the store.

        Comment

        • #5
          slacker033
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 8

          Originally posted by Calico1404
          Fav caliber? Any firearms you have been considering as your main focus to obtain? Ask here, and you may just find what you are looking for here in the meantime.

          Welcome in!
          I'm probably looking for a reliable, nothing-fancy, compact 9mm for home defense with budget constraints. Based on my initial research, I was looking at possibly a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.

          Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

          Comment

          • #6
            slacker033
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2016
            • 8

            Originally posted by Tovarish
            As for a shop, the best prices and selection I am aware of are at Guns Direct and Turner's. A lot of us travel to neighboring counties to do our gun purchases because there are more shops there.

            Don't buy your gun until you've had range experience. It's better that you know what you want before you go to the store.
            I'm definitely willing to drive to a neighboring county.

            Comment

            • #7
              MissiontoMars
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 1544

              I think turners offers the best low-pressure, non politicized environment. There's two in san diego and though their staff is somewhat prone to FUD and a bit of mis-information, they have always been pleasant, respectful and patient with me and my wife, and any questions we have.

              Comment

              • #8
                MissiontoMars
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 1544

                Originally posted by slacker033
                I'm probably looking for a reliable, nothing-fancy, compact 9mm for home defense with budget constraints. Based on my initial research, I was looking at possibly a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.

                Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
                Great gun. I have one and i love it.

                Baby glocks and XD9 subcompacts might also fit the purpose and budget.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tovarish
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • 1615

                  Originally posted by slacker033
                  I'm probably looking for a reliable, nothing-fancy, compact 9mm for home defense with budget constraints. Based on my initial research, I was looking at possibly a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.

                  Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
                  The smaller a gun is, the harder it is to use. Shields are for carrying, which you won't be doing as an LA resident.

                  A CZ or XD would be a better choice. Glock would be fine if you find you can shoot it. Many newbies can't.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    slacker033
                    Junior Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • 8

                    Originally posted by Tovarish
                    The smaller a gun is, the harder it is to use. Shields are for carrying, which you won't be doing as an LA resident.

                    A CZ or XD would be a better choice. Glock would be fine if you find you can shoot it. Many newbies can't.
                    I was looking at a compact because my hands are on the smaller side, I think. What's a CZ and XD?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tovarish
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 1615

                      Originally posted by slacker033
                      I was looking at a compact because my hands are on the smaller side, I think. What's a CZ and XD?
                      I could be wrong but I'd guess that even with smaller hands you will find better results with a CZ or XD

                      CZ 75B is a Czech full-size pistol. If you want smaller, get the CZ P-01. It is compact. Not sub-compact like a Shield.

                      XD refers to the Croatian pistols imported by Springfield. They are similar to a Glock but less expensive and more natural-feeling. I can't remember if they have a compact version available in California.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        slacker033
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • 8

                        Originally posted by Tovarish
                        I could be wrong but I'd guess that even with smaller hands you will find better results with a CZ or XD

                        CZ 75B is a Czech full-size pistol. If you want smaller, get the CZ P-01. It is compact. Not sub-compact like a Shield.

                        XD refers to the Croatian pistols imported by Springfield. They are similar to a Glock but less expensive and more natural-feeling. I can't remember if they have a compact version available in California.
                        Gotcha. What do you think about a S&W SD9VE?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Tovarish
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 1615

                          Originally posted by slacker033
                          Gotcha. What do you think about a S&W SD9VE?
                          It's not my first choice but not bad. A lot of people get that as their first pistol and they tend to be happy with them. Decent gun considering the price.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Air
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2005
                            • 1640

                            Fort Courage in Simi or Addax in San Fernando. Both are great shops, with great employees that actually know WTF they are doing and talking about.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Garv the innocent
                              RSG Minion, Senior
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Apr 2014
                              • 9075

                              Originally posted by slacker033
                              Gotcha. What do you think about a S&W SD9VE?
                              Decent for the price, horrible trigger, save a few more bucks for something better or at least plan on doing a trigger job.

                              RifleGear has always been helpful, bit of a drive.
                              Originally posted by Kestryll:
                              It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1