Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

shooting ranges were never crowded like now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • omega
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2005
    • 3115

    shooting ranges were never crowded like now?

    Shooting ranges seem to be a lot more popular these days from how it used to be back in the good old days before the bans and 2nd amenedment infringments of today.

    Remember the days of going to a public range and having the range all to yourself? sometimes you could be there for hours and nobody even came by

    This was back before mag dumps, tactical shooting, Spec Ops type shooting was popular

    back when guns like Thompson Contender break open pistols were common and shooting steel silhouettes shaped like pigs , turkeys, chickens, etc were popular

    most people had some type of revolver, before semi automatics took over.

    this was mostly pre 1980's before the AW craze started
  • #2
    russ69
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2009
    • 9348

    There are just a lot less places to shoot than there was back in the day. I could go down the list of closed shooting areas but it would be pointless. Same amount of people just fewer places for people to go.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      CAL.BAR
      CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
      • Nov 2007
      • 5632

      Actually, at least for here in OC/LA there are nearly the same number of ranges in the area, (Burro, Angles, Raahaugies etc.) but the population has DOUBLED.

      Comment

      • #4
        kel-tec-innovations
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 3931

        I think its a good sign for 2A. More shooters means more people will fight back when anti-gunner comes after their pass time, enjoyment and entertainment.
        WTS: Mossberg RARE Bullpup
        WTS: Glock 27 Nickel Boron coated 2 tone
        American Defense 20 MOA mount, AK47 AK74 Bullpup kit, Midwest AK rails Krink
        WTS: 7n6 5.45x39 spam cans / Crates IE area Riverside San Bernardino

        Comment

        • #5
          dwalker
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2014
          • 2714

          I am actually actively looking to invest in shooting ranges in various states and maybe even developing one of my own. Even in rural areas it is hard to find a safe place to shoot.
          Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

          Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

          Comment

          • #6
            someoneeasy
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 2372

            I remember back in 2012 when ammo was hard to come by, I usually had most of the range to myself..... ahhhh, the good old days

            Comment

            • #7
              FalconLair
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 3989

              Originally posted by kel-tec-innovations
              I think its a good sign for 2A. More shooters means more people will fight back when anti-gunner comes after their pass time, enjoyment and entertainment.
              that's the hope, unfortunately there are still shooters out there voting (D)

              it's like they don't know whats at stake or have reasons behind their voting pattern that is more important to them than 2A

              personally, i can't think of anything more important than losing your rights
              Originally posted by Barang
              I! hate! you! FalconLair.
              Originally posted by JagerDog
              I hate you FalconLair!
              Originally Posted by JTROKS
              I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
              Originally posted by gcvt
              They hate you FalconLair
              Originally posted by Greta
              HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

              Comment

              • #8
                Scratch705
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2009
                • 12537

                Originally posted by FalconLair
                that's the hope, unfortunately there are still shooters out there voting (D)

                it's like they don't know whats at stake or have reasons behind their voting pattern that is more important to them than 2A

                personally, i can't think of anything more important than losing your rights
                thats cause some of those shooters only look at shooting as a hobby, and thus don't care if they lose them.

                they will just pickup another hobby and only shoot at rental places.
                Originally posted by leelaw
                Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                Comment

                • #9
                  MrOrange
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 2262

                  Originally posted by russ69
                  There are just a lot less places to shoot than there was back in the day. I could go down the list of closed shooting areas but it would be pointless. Same amount of people just fewer places for people to go.
                  I'd guess there's half the ranges, and twice the people shooting as in the '80's. I could name a few ranges just in Co Co County that have gone away, not even counting U.S.I, assuming it comes back. Extrapolate that to the state in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers of closed ranges since 1980 is in the hundreds.
                  I meant, it is my opinion that...






                  I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
                  I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
                  You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    russ69
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 9348

                    Originally posted by CAL.BAR
                    ...but the population has DOUBLED.
                    Not quite: 7.4 million in 1980 and 9.8 million in 2010. And remember LA county is a huge county.


                    Historical Resident Population
                    City & County of Los Angeles, 1850 to 2010

                    1850 1,610 45.6% 3,530 3.8% 92,597
                    1860 4,385 38.7% 11,333 3.0% 379,994
                    1870 5,728 37.4% 15,309 2.7% 560,247
                    1880 11,183 33.5% 33,381 3.9% 864,694
                    1890 50,395 49.7% 101,454 8.4% 1,213,398
                    1900 102,479 60.2% 170,298 11.5% 1,485,053
                    1910 319,198 63.3% 504,131 21.2% 2,377,549
                    1920 576,673 61.6% 936,455 27.3% 3,426,861
                    1930 1,238,048 56.1% 2,208,492 38.9% 5,677,251
                    1940 1,504,277 54.0% 2,785,643 40.3% 6,907,387
                    1950 1,970,358 47.5% 4,151,687 39.2% 10,586,223
                    1960 2,479,015 41.0% 6,039,834 38.4% 15,717,204
                    1970 2,816,061 40.0% 7,032,075 35.2% 19,971,069
                    1980 2,950,010 39.5% 7,477,657 31.6% 23,667,764
                    1990 3,485,398 39.3% 8,863,164 29.8% 29,760,021
                    2000 3,694,820 38.8% 9,519,338 28.1% 33,871,648
                    2010 3,792,621 38.6% 9,818,605 26.4% 37,253,956
                    Source: U.S. Census Bureau
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dwalker
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • 2714



                      One of the places I am looking into, although I like TN a little better. With the popularity of action shooting sports and target shooting along with how hard its getting to be to find safe places to shoot where you wont be hassled is making shooting ranges a growth industry.
                      Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                      Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jjxd
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • 49

                        Originally posted by dwalker
                        I am actually actively looking to invest in shooting ranges in various states and maybe even developing one of my own. Even in rural areas it is hard to find a safe place to shoot.


                        Take a look at TNT range in Utah. Make one like that in California.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dwalker
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 2714

                          Originally posted by jjxd
                          Take a look at TNT range in Utah. Make one like that in California.
                          A friend of mine did a similar range in Colorado in the Erie/Longmont area. its a pretty nice setup. I have considered this as well, although right now I am looking into outdoor ranges with both public KDR's and bay areas.
                          Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                          Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            alabamacoastie
                            Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 451

                            Originally posted by russ69
                            Not quite: 7.4 million in 1980 and 9.8 million in 2010. And remember LA county is a huge county.


                            Historical Resident Population
                            City & County of Los Angeles, 1850 to 2010

                            1850 1,610 45.6% 3,530 3.8% 92,597
                            1860 4,385 38.7% 11,333 3.0% 379,994
                            1870 5,728 37.4% 15,309 2.7% 560,247
                            1880 11,183 33.5% 33,381 3.9% 864,694
                            1890 50,395 49.7% 101,454 8.4% 1,213,398
                            1900 102,479 60.2% 170,298 11.5% 1,485,053
                            1910 319,198 63.3% 504,131 21.2% 2,377,549
                            1920 576,673 61.6% 936,455 27.3% 3,426,861
                            1930 1,238,048 56.1% 2,208,492 38.9% 5,677,251
                            1940 1,504,277 54.0% 2,785,643 40.3% 6,907,387
                            1950 1,970,358 47.5% 4,151,687 39.2% 10,586,223
                            1960 2,479,015 41.0% 6,039,834 38.4% 15,717,204
                            1970 2,816,061 40.0% 7,032,075 35.2% 19,971,069
                            1980 2,950,010 39.5% 7,477,657 31.6% 23,667,764
                            1990 3,485,398 39.3% 8,863,164 29.8% 29,760,021
                            2000 3,694,820 38.8% 9,519,338 28.1% 33,871,648
                            2010 3,792,621 38.6% 9,818,605 26.4% 37,253,956
                            Source: U.S. Census Bureau
                            I think he meant population of SHOOTERS... Not population in general...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              myk
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 5955

                              Originally posted by someoneeasy
                              I remember back in 2012 when ammo was hard to come by, I usually had most of the range to myself..... ahhhh, the good old days
                              Yeah that's the spirit. As long as you're happy all is good in the world; damn everyone else and the death of the 2nd Amendment.

                              Attitudes like this are why we can't preserve the 2A in California...


                              I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1