Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

HELP. Am I being taken for a ride?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shotgun Dave
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 285

    HELP. Am I being taken for a ride?

    So I've been exchanging emails with a local dealer who claims to work out of his home. I've been trying to get a hold of a xd45 Compact in black and he told me that it was unavailable. Today, I got this email...I'll keep his name and business confidential until I am positive that he is a guilty party.

    "I understand completely.Knowing exactly what you want and not wanting to compromise is a fantastic quality! As you no doubt have found, the XD product line is essentially out of stock everywhere. Here is my deal to you: I have attached a quote for the Springfield XD45 4” barrel, compact frame handgun in black. The compact versions of handguns are typically a few dollars more expensive than their full size counterparts. I will sell you the compact XD45 at the same price as the full size XD45 if you place the order with me by next Friday, January 23rd.

    Dave, all firearms dealers use the same distributors, so I will be getting the XD45 at the same time everyone does. You have only to gain in this deal.

    In order to move forward with this deal, all you need to do is send me an e-mail telling me you want the gun; then send me a check for 50%: $307.85. I will then send you an invoice showing the full amount of the purchase and the deposit applied. It’s that simple. When the gun arrives, I will contact you immediately so we may conclude the sale. "

    Dave I hope to hear back from you. This is a GREAT deal on a GREAT gun. I promise you I will stay on top of my distributors and keep you updated on delivery information as I receive it. Remember, this deal expires on Friday, January 23rd.

    Have a great Sunday, Dave."

    Here is my response..........

    "What do you take me for? There is no way that I would even begin to consider doing that. In no way would I ever try to tell another man to run his business but really, how can you ask me to hand over 300 dollars to someone that I have never even met before, for an item he doesn't have, nor even have an ETA for. Does this sound reasonable to you?

    I am also fairly positive that it is ILLEGAL or at least some degree of malpractice to charge for a HSC and DROS application without the physical presence of both the customer and the firearm.

    I'm a firm supporter of small businesses, and I wanted to give you my business, but I guess you figured you could just take me for a ride. I think I've been speaking with the wrong person. Good bye ***."

    In addition to this, in a previous email, he told me that he could start the DROS process for me 10 days before my 21st birthday and I could pick up the handgun on the day I turned 21? As far as I know, this is FALSE. Am I in the right to be this disgusted? What actions should I take?



    EDIT*********************************
    He was advertised right here on Calguns.net


    This is his website.
    Last edited by Shotgun Dave; 01-18-2009, 7:36 PM.
  • #2
    Gunaria
    Banned
    • Jan 2007
    • 3894

    Ask for his 01FFL ID # and you can check it in the BATFE data base to see if it is current and legit. If the seller does not want to give you this info then just walk away and keep searching for your XD.

    Comment

    • #3
      Shotgun Dave
      Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 285

      I would, but I don't ever want to speak to this man again. I just want to know if this man is indeed trying to con me. If so, I will report him to the DOJ. There is nothing I hate more than crooks.

      Comment

      • #4
        Bruce3
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 1249

        how did you find this guy and where is he based out of?

        Comment

        • #5
          SJgunguy24
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2008
          • 14849

          If the guy dosen't have an FFL than reporting him does nothing. If this guy is using the mail or the internet to knowingly dupe folks out of their money,I think the feds may take issue with that.
          There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
          The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
          The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
          The others, well......they just never learn.

          "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
          Patrick Henry.

          Comment

          • #6
            JDay
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2008
            • 19393

            Originally posted by Shotgun Dave
            I am also fairly positive that it is ILLEGAL or at least some degree of malpractice to charge for a HSC and DROS application without the physical presence of both the customer and the firearm.
            You are correct.

            In addition to this, in a previous email, he told me that he could start the DROS process for me 10 days before my 21st birthday and I could pick up the handgun on the day I turned 21? As far as I know, this is FALSE. Am I in the right to be this disgusted? What actions should I take?
            This guy is full of ****. How can he administer the HSC without you being there? He has to time it and verify your ID, when I got my HSC I handed the FFL my ID and he held onto it while I took the test and gave it back after he graded the test and filled out my card. You should look elsewhere.
            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

            Comment

            • #7
              technique
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2008
              • 10639

              Originally posted by Shotgun Dave
              I would, but I don't ever want to speak to this man again. I just want to know if this man is indeed trying to con me. If so, I will report him to the DOJ. There is nothing I hate more than crooks.
              I know you don't want to out the FFL, but..there are a lot of people here that my have experience with this home dealer...It may help you to post that up. People may tell you he's the most trustworthy guy ever to deal with. You never know. Its not that uncommon to require a deposit, even through a store front on an item they are ordering just for you.
              California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
              Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

              I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

              Comment

              • #8
                MrEd
                roaming the galaxy
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 675

                A deal only to be had by such and such time and being a great deal only from him and so on would be a huge red flag for me . a pressure sales pitch usually means something is not right . if it were me I would walk away .
                Justice without force is powerless ; force without justice is Tyrannical

                Comment

                • #9
                  JDay
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19393

                  Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                  If the guy dosen't have an FFL than reporting him does nothing. If this guy is using the mail or the internet to knowingly dupe folks out of their money,I think the feds may take issue with that.
                  I think the ATF would be interested in someone attempting to sell firearms without a license.
                  Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                  The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Shotgun Dave
                    Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 285

                    I'm not willing to deface a man or his business unless I am fairly certain that he is a guilty party. I'll edit the original post with the proper identifying information if I get enough feedback confirming my beliefs.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JDay
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19393

                      You should ask him for his FFL # and verify it.
                      Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                      The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Shotgun Dave
                        Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 285

                        I'll be back in one hour to read the responses. Thanks in advance guys I'm glad to be in the company of more knowledgeable folk than myself.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          USN CHIEF
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 11540

                          Like my good friend Technique said, why not just post who the FFL is and I am sure that someone has heard or dealt with this guy. I don't understand the secrecy.
                          Originally posted by tankerman
                          I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
                          Originally posted by Douglas711
                          Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Shotgun Dave
                            Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 285

                            He responded to my email and said I should beware because this is all foreign to me.

                            USN Chief you are right.

                            He was advertised right here on Calguns.net


                            This is his website.
                            Last edited by Shotgun Dave; 01-18-2009, 7:25 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              I would not do bussiness like that! If you only know this guy from the internet and he doesn't have personal references that you know and trust, I would not send him any money or even do bussiness with him. If you care to share his name here, you might get the references that you need to make an informed decission.
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1