Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

charge handle, bipod, and firing pin question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • maschronic
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 4388

    charge handle, bipod, and firing pin question

    hi all.

    i got some questions for everyone.

    1) i have a 24" DPMS barrel with a flat top. i have a scope mounted on it right now. the charge handle is very close to the scope. i have to use one finger to pull back on it. now, is there a aftermarket or factory charge handle that would make it easier for me to use the handle?

    2) i was told my a person about Titanium firing pin. is it worth changing my firing pin for a Ti firing pin?

    3) i'm looking for a bipod for the DPMS upper. which manufacture should i use? I know harris is good. have any of you tried using those cheap bipods? are they a good bang for the buck or should i spend the money and buy a harris bipod?

    thanks for your input!!!1
    I am offically a gun nut!!!!!
  • #2
    EvolutionGSR
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1556

    Originally posted by maschronic
    hi all.

    i got some questions for everyone.

    1) i have a 24" DPMS barrel with a flat top. i have a scope mounted on it right now. the charge handle is very close to the scope. i have to use one finger to pull back on it. now, is there a aftermarket or factory charge handle that would make it easier for me to use the handle?

    2) i was told my a person about Titanium firing pin. is it worth changing my firing pin for a Ti firing pin?

    3) i'm looking for a bipod for the DPMS upper. which manufacture should i use? I know harris is good. have any of you tried using those cheap bipods? are they a good bang for the buck or should i spend the money and buy a harris bipod?

    thanks for your input!!!1
    Well, I can answer for #3. I've use a few rock mount bi-pods that I've been very happy with. They're cheaper than the Harris ones but not as cheap as the "cheap bipods" i think you're talking about. The rock mounts have a good solid feel to them.

    Comment

    • #3
      mr2.0
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 635

      1) Get a riser for your scope mount and tactical charging latch then you should be good.
      2) If there is nothing wrong with the firing pin you have right now, why change it?
      3) I have the 6-9" swirvel rockmount on my SKS and Harris on my AR, they both work great. Your 24" DPMS deserves a good bipod, spend a little extra and never look back
      This is what my Ar looks like with 24" barrel( The first post), just to give your an idea:

      Comment

      • #4
        GTKrockeTT
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 1950

        get an oversized charging handle. here are some options:


        Bushmaster Firearms International based in Carson City, Nevada, United States, is an American manufacturer and distributor of firearms. The company's product line revolves around semi-automatic pistol and rifle variants of the M4 / AR-15 design. Now made with 100% US materials and parts.

        Comment

        • #5
          tenpercentfirearms
          Vendor/Retailer
          • Apr 2005
          • 13007

          I have been using and selling the Shooter's Ridge pivot models that are a pretty darn close copy of the Harris. I am satisfied with the function enough that I would buy as many as I need for my rifles until I can make a big enough order from Harris to make it worth my and my customer's while. So a 6-9 or 9-13 Shooter's Ridge is close enough to a Harris and quite a bit cheaper ($70 swivel model). The 9-13 would be great on that gun and I think you would be happy with it.
          www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

          Comment

          • #6
            chiefcrash
            Internet Dictator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jul 2006
            • 3408

            about #2:

            the titanium firing pin is nice and all, but if you're stock one works, don't bother. if/when your stock one breaks, THEN get the titanium one. it'd probably be the last one you'd have to buy
            Originally posted by Kestryll
            we can not nor should not dismiss or discount my theory that in the dark of night you molest sea anemones by candlelight.
            Originally posted by TKM
            Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
            Originally posted by Click Boom
            It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.

            Comment

            • #7
              shonc99
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2006
              • 552

              I bought a "tactical" charging handle and while it is easier to grab, it also sticks out that much more. Unless you want/need the "tactical" charging handle, after getting a riser mount, you probably won't need one.



              HTH
              Last edited by shonc99; 08-12-2012, 9:29 AM.
              Originally posted by randy
              I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.
              Originally posted by Walter Sobchak
              "Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fn'g ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as sh[t DON"T FN'G ROLL!!"

              Comment

              • #8
                maschronic
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 4388

                well, i was always told that the scope should be closest to the barrel to get the best results. it makes sense to me. when i bought rings for the scope, it was about 1/4 inch above the barrel. i thought it was just perfect. i figured i might be able to change the CH.

                1) i think i will get a tactical charge handle for it. i think that will work very well.

                2) regarding the firing pin, i was just curious. i thought maybe the Ti firing pin would be just that much better than the stock firing pin.

                i was on TPF website and saw an LMT enhanced BC. since it is twice the price as the standard, it must be good. what is the difference between the two? is it like stock headers vs ported headers? ported gets more power. enhanced BC has a smoother action?

                thanks.



                Originally posted by mr2.0
                1) Get a riser for your scope mount and tactical charging latch then you should be good.
                2) If there is nothing wrong with the firing pin you have right now, why change it?
                I am offically a gun nut!!!!!

                Comment

                • #9
                  ohsmily
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 8996

                  If your scope is mounted on a flat top and is only 1/4" above the barrel, aren't you having a really hard time getting a good cheek weld and sight picture? When my rings were too low, I had to cram my cheek agains the comb and hold my head sideways to see through the damn scope...anyway, if the scope is comfortable where it is, then just leave it and get the oversize charging handle. I like those gadgets.
                  Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

                  Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    blkA4alb
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3576

                    I have the badger tactical charging latch (scoped rifle) and it works wonders. It is so easy to pull with the pinky side of my right hand. The scope is not a problem at all anymore.

                    I have a full chrome bolt carrier and pin and the chrome pin is very easy to clean (one wipe.) I've never used/cleaned a standard carrier.

                    I have the Harris bipod and it works, never used another brand so I can't really help you there.

                    Here is a picture where you can see the tactical latch well.

                    Please, calm down.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      shonc99
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 552

                      I had a hard time with a large scope on my flatop 24". The riser allowed me to keep my head straight instead of uncomfortably sideways.
                      Originally posted by randy
                      I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.
                      Originally posted by Walter Sobchak
                      "Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fn'g ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as sh[t DON"T FN'G ROLL!!"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mudvayne540ld
                        Member
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 339

                        for #2
                        I have a titanium firing pin that my friend bought for me. It is cool and all..... lighter, but you really dont need it if you have a working stock one. Just wait till you need to replace it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          m1371
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1118

                          Originally posted by maschronic
                          3) i'm looking for a bipod for the DPMS upper. which manufacture should i use? I know harris is good. have any of you tried using those cheap bipods? are they a good bang for the buck or should i spend the money and buy a harris bipod?

                          thanks for your input!!!
                          Just remember, if you buy a cheap bipod..... you're buying a CHEAP bipod. There's a difference between getting a good deal on something and cheaping out.

                          My .02 is to spend what you feel is appropriate for a good piece of gear that you're going to hang off your rifle.

                          Would you be okay with spending $15 on a scope?

                          Are you going to buy cheap ammo instead of spending the extra dime on "the good stuff"?

                          Thoughts to ponder.......









                          Of course, if you decide to get the BEST tripod you can get your paws on, with $$$ as no object....... Stash about $200 for the TangoDown bipod and wait for it to come off backorder. Best piece of gear I've seen in a long time and definitely living up to TD's standards
                          Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is perilous. -Foamy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1