Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Updated: Inadequate Cleaning to Adequate Cleaning.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SandBlastedSkin
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 249

    Updated: Inadequate Cleaning to Adequate Cleaning.

    So up until today I thought I was doing a good job at cleaning my barrels.

    I use a brass brush soaked in bore cleaner (Hoppes #9) and run it through the barrel a few times, then wrap a smaller brass brush with a patch soaked with bore cleaner and run it through. Let it sit for about five minutes and then run patches through until it comes out clean.

    Well today I saw the barrel in the second picture below.. Copper fouling? That is a brand new out of the box, never been fired, Socom 16 barrel after I cleaned the sh*t out of it. The patches were coming through clean.

    The first picture is of my Remington, which I looked at after noticing the Socom barrel.

    Is the method I use wrong? Is it making it worse? I don't run the patches back through the barrel, I don't run the same patch twice, etc... or is it normal and I'm concerned about nothing?

    Update: Post #25
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SandBlastedSkin; 05-20-2016, 3:55 PM.
  • #2
    rix
    Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 156

    What ammo did you shoot ? looks like rust from using corrosive ammo.
    WOOHAA!!! It's ON!!

    Comment

    • #3
      1moa@500
      Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 278

      That looks like copper fouling to me. Hoppes is a great powder fouling solvent but it lacks in copper removal. I suggest that if you want to remove it you use some Butch's Bore Shine or Sweets and follow the instructions. They both have a health amount of ammonia in them and will remove copper. Use a plastic jag and plastic brushes or you will get a false reading from the brass counterparts. This is the method i use every hundred rounds in my semi auto rifles. I use to be a cleaning fool when it came to barrels but as i shot more i came to understand that deep cleaning was only necessary when accuracy fell off. Enjoy your new rifle.

      Comment

      • #4
        SandBlastedSkin
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 249

        Originally posted by rix
        What ammo did you shoot ? looks like rust from using corrosive ammo.
        The Socom has never been shot, I got it out of jail yesterday, and I have never shot corrosive ammo out of the Remington.

        Comment

        • #5
          wjc
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2009
          • 10881

          Originally posted by 1moa@500
          That looks like copper fouling to me. Hoppes is a great powder fouling solvent but it lacks in copper removal. I suggest that if you want to remove it you use some Butch's Bore Shine or Sweets and follow the instructions. They both have a health amount of ammonia in them and will remove copper. Use a plastic jag and plastic brushes or you will get a false reading from the brass counterparts. This is the method i use every hundred rounds in my semi auto rifles. I use to be a cleaning fool when it came to barrels but as i shot more i came to understand that deep cleaning was only necessary when accuracy fell off. Enjoy your new rifle.
          FYI, Hoppe's does make a copper solvent to use in removing copper fouling. I use it on my deer rifle as it requires non-lead ammo.

          Last edited by wjc; 01-27-2018, 2:16 PM.
          sigpic

          NRA Benefactor Member
          NRA Golden Eagle
          SAF Life Member
          CGN Contributor

          Comment

          • #6
            MarikinaMan
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2015
            • 4864

            deleted, misread the og post.
            Last edited by MarikinaMan; 05-19-2016, 6:05 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              geoint
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2014
              • 4385

              Wow! I never use copper solvents either. Think I'm gonna go check some of my barrels to see if they have this kinda thing going on
              Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

              I Hate California.

              Comment

              • #8
                russ69
                Calguns Addict
                • Nov 2009
                • 9348

                Copper oxide is green. If you are not getting green patches there is no copper in there. Looks like iron oxide to me. Did you oil the bore after cleaning?
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Divernhunter
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2010
                  • 8753

                  1st problem is the #9. Yes it has been around forever but now there are so many products that are so much better.

                  Try Wipe-out followed by Sweets 7.62, Barnes CR-10, Butches Bore Shine or Montana Extreme.

                  I have had friends who used what you use and after they had their barrel clean I did a shot of Wipe-Out followed by Butches bore shine or Sweets 7.62 and they were amazed at all of what came out.

                  You "#9 is the greatest" users are free to flame away but you are wrong. Probably some of the same people who say the ONLY rifle to buy is a Rem700 or Win 70. Hate to tell you the world has progressed. I remember when #9 and Outers solvent were the only ones on the market.........but that was long ago.
                  A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                  NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                  SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FeuerFrei
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 7455

                    Water and household ammonia to clean copper fouling.
                    I mix 1 part ammonia to 8-10 parts water and run a moist patch down and back. Let it set for 5 or 10 minutes and do it again followed by dry patches to check colors of filth. Rinse and repeat.
                    Clean patches come out? Great!
                    Lightly oiled patch in and out if it's not play time. Bone dry if it is.

                    Flipping the M1A on it's back to punch the barrel with cleaners? Hope so.

                    OP's crud looks like rust to me. Shooting it should blow it out.

                    **Mosin rifles are great guinea pigs for DIY experiments with cleaners.
                    Linkage for another similar take on it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bansh88
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 2500

                      Originally posted by SandBlastedSkin
                      then run patches through until it comes out clean.
                      Do you follow up with an oiled patch through the barrel?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ABR
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2015
                        • 1167

                        Originally posted by FeuerFrei

                        OP's crud looks like rust to me. Shooting it should blow it out.
                        Agreed. That's how I "clean" my barrels followed by an oiled patch.
                        sigpic
                        "Leave the gun, take the cannoli"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          wpage
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 6072

                          CLP ....
                          God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
                          John 3:16

                          NRA,,, Lifer

                          United Air Epic Fail Video ...

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SandBlastedSkin
                            Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 249

                            So I went and got some new cleaning supplies today. I got several different size nylon bore brushes, Shooter's Choice MC#7 as I've nothing but good stuff about it, and some Sweet's 7.62.

                            I've gone through the entire cleaning process that is recommended by Shooter's Choice three times already, and soaked patches still come out green and the orange streaks in the barrel are still as prominent as they were yesterday. I'm going to run through a couple more cycles and see if it helps, but I'll be honest I'm pretty nervous about moving to the Sweet's. I want to try any and all other means before I resort to using something so aggressive.

                            What are good quality, non-caustic, copper fouling removers? If I can get away with not using Sweet's I think I would prefer it. Yes I know it's probably great stuff, but personally I'd rather work around caustic solvents. However, it is what I already have... I'm sure someone might be able to talk me into it with not much effort. lol

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SandBlastedSkin
                              Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 249

                              Originally posted by Bansh88
                              Do you follow up with an oiled patch through the barrel?
                              I haven't, but once I get this gunk out I'm definitely going to start. Or should I add into the routine now? Will it help?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1