Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger single six conversion kit

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gavelek
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 1275

    Ruger single six conversion kit

    I own a Ruger Blackhawk single six and Ruger send me an offer to free install a conversion kit for new operating system. They say that it will help prevent an accidental discharge etc...
    Anybody has done it, is it worth to do it, since I have to pay shipping and probably use FFL. What are the pros and cons?
    Thanks
  • #2
    Grumpyoldretiredcop
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2008
    • 6437

    Pros: The pistol can no longer discharge if dropped as the hammer must strike a transfer bar, which then strikes the firing pin.

    Con: Unmodified pistols carry a higher collector value.

    Following general firearm safety rules and the particular precautions that apply to a single action pistol without a transfer bar system will serve you just as well as this modification, which IIRC was Ruger's solution after at least one lawsuit involving an AD with an "Old Model" and their development of a transfer bar system. Again IIRC, sometime around 1973, Ruger's attorneys convinced the company that their addition of a transfer bar system was an admission that the "Old Model" was less safe and the company introduced the "upgrade" program. If you send the pistol in to Ruger for anything at all, you will find that it will be returned with the conversion whether you like it or not. Some collectors may say that since the original parts can be reinstalled, there is no drop in value, but I've seen the opposite opinion stated by collectors more often. Every time I've sold an "Old Model" to a collector, it's been the first thing that they asked about.

    Short answer: I wouldn't do it. If you want to carry a Ruger single-action in the field, invest in a "New Model" and keep this one unmolested. I'm looking at a Single-Six from 1956 that I just picked up; it is original and is going to stay that way.
    I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

    Comment

    • #3
      Monster
      Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 463

      Don't do it.

      Comment

      • #4
        ironhorse1
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 1005

        Ruger will install parts that will prevent the hammer from hitting a cartridge unless you pull the trigger.



        Pros: You can safely load all six chambers.

        Cons: you will no longer have the satisfaction of hearing three clicks as you cock your revolver.

        Pros: You no longer have to load one, skip one, load four.

        Con: I personally enjoy that process.

        Your gun your choice.

        irh

        Comment

        • #5
          Gavelek
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 1275

          I thought so, thanks guys

          Comment

          • #6
            jyo
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2008
            • 5320

            Personally, I keep my Old Model Ruger single-actions just as they came from the factory---they have a soul that the modern "safe" single-actions just don't have---like a Colt SAA. This is my personal opinion so don't send the safety lawyers this way...

            Comment

            • #7
              stickle
              Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 178

              Well, let me give a different perspective...

              Had a Old Bearcat, not in the best shape, ( scratch on black anodizing) so really did not have collector value but I shot it almost every time I went to the range. Decided to send it to Ruger for the conversion. Cost $66 to send it.

              Ruger sends me an email and tells me the cylinder has a issue and that a replacement is not available. They gave me two options. They would send it back, or they could send me a brand new Bearcat! Let me think...

              I called and said yes, but asked if it was possible to get as my replacement one of the Shopkeepers. They said yes. It was shipped to my FFL and is in jail now. ($75 in fees and DROS). Bottom line...New Shopkeeper for less than $150.

              Big attaboy for Ruger customer service.

              YMMV
              We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
              ~Ronald Reagan~

              Comment

              • #8
                russ69
                Calguns Addict
                • Nov 2009
                • 9348

                You get all the old parts back, no harm to collector value.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  jyo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 5320

                  Regarding getting all the old parts back: I was the manager for several gun stores a few years back---I keep my Old Model Rugers original and load them just like my old Colt SAAs---when I was in the business several people insisted on sending their revolvers back to Ruger, they then gave me the bag containing the orig. parts! I now have a lifetime supply of Old Model parts for my old Rugers...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    RTE
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1948

                    Originally posted by russ69
                    You get all the old parts back, no harm to collector value.
                    For jyo
                    One old parts lot from a conversion is running around $100.
                    Its worth more to the new collector to NOT have to convert it back.

                    I don't use mine as a carry piece so they stay unconverted.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Garand1911
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2002
                      • 1443

                      My Ruger collector friend who is #26 in the ruger collector society says NO.

                      Old Model Ruger ? -- DO NOT CONVERT !!
                      Collectors don't like classic guns being messed with.


                      New Model Rugers should already have the safety installed.
                      "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        russ69
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 9348

                        Originally posted by Garand1911
                        My Ruger collector friend who is #26 in the ruger collector society says NO.
                        Old Model Ruger ? -- DO NOT CONVERT !!
                        Collectors don't like classic guns being messed with.
                        New Model Rugers should already have the safety installed.
                        My Bearcat firing pin got flattened, no replacement parts were available but then the new model came out and I was able to get it fixed for free. I had no choice. Nobody wants a gun that doesn't fire. Yes, collectors want old guns kept in a drawer for 50 years and want to pay $150, but some of us are shooters not collectors.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          340six
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 11

                          Originally posted by Monster
                          Don't do it.
                          I did because Safety is #1
                          I have a few old models. One is a 1972 Bearcat. And it was dropped one day by a new shooter at the range and fell right on the hammer

                          The conversion was painless for me. Was just a quick phone call to Ruger.
                          As far as the feds go the gun is not changing ownership. The feds let you ship a gun to a repair center with no FFL. So as long as there are no city county or state laws preventing it no FFL was needed here for me. The shipper NEEDS TO Knows it is a gun. As with anything check your local laws 1st!!! on shipping a gun!
                          I have done it may times. Call tag and hand it off to UPS or Fed-Ex.
                          Ruger paid the shipping both ways.
                          Again after a quick phone call the call tag was emailed to me. Next day gun was on it's way. And Ruger returns all the parts they take off, so it can be swapped back if you want to at a later date.
                          So it is not going to devalue it any.
                          Last edited by 340six; 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1