Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

anyone build different uppers for 1 lower?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • camaroguy2012
    Banned
    • Jan 2015
    • 697

    anyone build different uppers for 1 lower?

    i have about 5 rifles and im kinda tired making a whole rifles if i see a rail or something i want to build so i think im going to just build uppers that i want and swap them out when i go shooting
  • #2
    Calico1404
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2016
    • 3401

    I tried this, however once you have an upper all together it feels naked without pants on!

    I also tried to go mid range and long range with the same lower, however between wanting a more padded buttstock on the long and a light weight buttstock on my mid range well I ended up with 2 rifles. lol

    Only exception I would make is if I had two same purpose uppers i.e. CQC etc then I can possibly see having an "extra" upper in the safe.

    Comment

    • #3
      hermosabeach
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 19807

      I had a 24" match upper... great from Prairie Dawgs out past 350... but not ideal for other things.... so I got a nice free floated 16" to pair with the lower....
      Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

      Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

      Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

      Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
      (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

      Comment

      • #4
        89LT1
        Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 401

        i have an 18" scoped upper and a 16" lightweight upper for the same lower.

        Works well for now. i've got other things to get before i build any more AR's so it works for me. less to lug to range each time.

        Comment

        • #5
          glock_this
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2005
          • 8225

          Pretty normal. I have several pistol uppers for my pistols for example.
          10 +1 in the chamber

          Comment

          • #6
            Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2015
            • 6504

            I want to get a lower and then get a little snub barrel and then one of those long stainless barrels.
            But I also want a bolt action ar..

            Comment

            • #7
              edgerly779
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Aug 2009
              • 19871

              I have a bunch long range/mid/ short/ pistol on appropriate lower before I get flamed by thought police.

              Comment

              • #8
                LowThudd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 3608

                I plan on on having multiple uppers. I am happy with the lower/stock that I have (rogers Superstock). I don't have a lot of money to play with, and I would rather spend it on multiple uppers, rather than having to buy separate lowers.

                Plans for:

                .22 LR dedicated upper
                6.5 Grendel
                .450 Bushmaster
                some OSSM or WSSM wildcat caliber(have not looked into it enough yet)

                Comment

                • #9
                  ChuckDizzle
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 4398

                  I've been thinking about building a 25-45 Sharps or 6.5 Grendel upper for a little more reach for hunting.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CalNRA
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 8686

                    Originally posted by Lonestargrizzly
                    I want to get a lower and then get a little snub barrel and then one of those long stainless barrels.
                    But I also want a bolt action ar..
                    hm, a bolt action 22 upper actually sounds like a good thing to have....
                    Originally posted by cvigue
                    This is not rocket surgery.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2015
                      • 6504

                      Originally posted by CalNRA
                      hm, a bolt action 22 upper actually sounds like a good thing to have....
                      Less likely to ban? Could you have a standard mag release?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CalNRA
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 8686

                        Originally posted by Lonestargrizzly
                        Less likely to ban? Could you have a standard mag release?
                        it's not semi auto so why not?

                        My reasoning would be to have a quiet long gun when run with subs, that can be broken down easily, and can be used with other uppers, rather than having to have a separate whole other rifle.
                        Originally posted by cvigue
                        This is not rocket surgery.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          LowThudd
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 3608

                          Originally posted by Lonestargrizzly
                          Less likely to ban? Could you have a standard mag release?
                          Yes, but if you have any AR semi auto uppers near by without a lower, it could be constructive possession of an unregistered AW.

                          I kinda like the idea of the .338 Lapua bolt action uppers that are available, but for the price, a bolt rifle could just as easily be built.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bansh88
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 2500

                            I've got my 4th Lower waiting on an upper. I would never consider another lower. Just uppers of variety.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stix213
                              AKA: Joe Censored
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 19002

                              I have two uppers for my ar pistol, but I generally don't do the multiple upper thing because I configure the lower for the upper. For example my 18" has a 2 stage trigger and nice face resting stock. My featureless configuration upper has a matching lower. My lightweight upper has a lightweight lower, etc.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1