Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

20th Century US Military Rifles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jonathan Doe
    • Oct 2026

    20th Century US Military Rifles



    1903, 1917, M-1 garand, M-1 Carbine, M-1A(M-14), AR-15 (M-16), M-4.

    I tried to collect some US military rifles from 20th century. I know I may need a few more, but this will do for now. If any Calgunners have more rifles that I don't have, let me know. I will do my best to collect them. My next goal other than these is pre 1900 rifles, ie. 30-40 Krag, Sharps, Springfield Trap Door...
    Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2008, 5:06 PM.
  • #2
    Casual Observer
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1400

    link not working

    Comment

    • #3
      NeoWeird
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 3342



      Nice start. I'd recommend also trying to get a .30 Cal Krag as they were used at the beginning of the century and were issued to some non-combat units during WWII. There are also other variants, such as the M1D (sniper) for the M1 Garand, the M1A1 Carbine (paratrooper), etc. The AR platform alone has several dozen varaints that have seen major use. It's still a GREAT start.

      If it were me, I'd suggest these as a base guideline for different times (listed in relevance):

      WWI: Krag and M1903
      WWII: M1 Garand, M1A1 Carbine, M1903A3, BAR, Thompson (listed last only because of anti-SBR laws in California)
      Transisition: M14
      Vietnman: 601/Slabside M16, XM177, M1 Carbine, M1D, Winchester M1897
      Korea: 603/M16A1, CAR/XM177E1
      Desert Storm: M16A2 and all BHD variants, M40
      Post 1990: M4, Barret M85A1

      Obviously some appeared sooner than in my list, but they tend to characterise those eras. Still, a damn good start to a good collection. As you can see, you have a good chunk of them already taken care of for all of the 20th century and there are more that weren't listed and can't be had.

      Good job.
      quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
      a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.

      Comment

      • #4
        Casual Observer
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 1400

        You need a 1941 Johnson used by the Paramarines during WWII.

        Comment

        • #5
          scr83jp
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 678

          Originally posted by topgun7


          1903, 1917, M-1 garand, M-1 Carbine, M-1A(M-14), AR-15 (M-16), M-4.

          I tried to collect some US military rifles from 20th century. I know I may need a few more, but this will do for now. If any Calgunners have more rifles that I don't have, let me know. I will do my best to collect them. My next goal other than these is pre 1900 rifles, ie. 30-40 Krag, Sharps, Springfield Trap Door...
          You left out the Rem 03A3,03A4 sniper rifle,Johnson go to this site and check out the items www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm here's another site http://www.mccannindustries.com I also have the 3/86 american rifleman article Reloading For The M1 Rifle I can send via email
          Last edited by scr83jp; 12-31-2008, 5:44 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Jonathan Doe

            I have all the missing rifles in my office reference collection at the Crime lab. Only thing is, they are not mine although I have access to it. By the way, Thank you NeoWeird for posting the photo. I am not good with the computer. I just type my reports on it.

            Comment

            • #7
              doughboy334
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 2019

              Hey topgun7, you bought an Eotech from me a couple of weeks ago. I think I see it there mounted on your carbine How's it working out for you?


              Awesome collection!
              Last edited by doughboy334; 12-31-2008, 8:02 PM.
              sigpic

              Originally posted by Jpach
              Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.

              Comment

              • #8
                anthonyca
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2008
                • 6316

                What a nice collection.
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Union...70812799700206

                Originally posted by Wherryj
                I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?

                Comment

                • #9
                  blackfalcon
                  Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 375

                  Collecting US military pistols will be next

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Walking Fire
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 1969

                    You forgot the Johnson 1941 slr.
                    NRA Life Member.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jonathan Doe

                      Originally posted by doughboy334
                      Hey topgun7, you bought an Eotech from me a couple of weeks ago. I think I see it there mounted on your carbine How's it working out for you?


                      Awesome collection!
                      Of course it is the one I received from you. I have been trained with a rifle with EOTech in the past. As a matter of fact, all our field rifles are equipped with EOTech 512's. I am sure this one will shoot well. I just didn't have time to go to the range yet. Maybe I should shoot it at the range at my office building.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Jonathan Doe

                        Originally posted by blackfalcon
                        Collecting US military pistols will be next
                        Actually, I started with a few WW2 rifles, but my friend started collecting WW2 rifles also. So, I decided to change my collection to US military rifles and I am glad I did it. Next to buy is a 30-40 Krag and maybe a 1941 Johnson, then a trap door..the list keeps going...Once I complete the rifles, then I may move into the pistols.

                        I hope my wife still keeps me.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          hamster
                          Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 457

                          Sniper rifles? M40A1 or M24
                          Nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it.
                          Hamster's AR-15

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Saigon1965
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 17278

                            Very nice collection Neo - Some day I will complete mine -

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bigstick61
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 3211

                              Don't forget the 6mm Lee Navy rifle M1895, which was still seeing some use by sailors and marines, alongside the Krag, into the 1930s, possibly into early WWII. Many of both were used on the Yangtze by naval forces there. The later Trapdoor Springfields saw some use in the first couple of years of the 20th Century, and I think some examples of the Lee Navy 1885 rifle in .45-70 were in use as well during those few years. I think the Winchester M1895 in .30-40 may have been in use during that time as well, although in the end it was not approved for mass procurement. U.S.-produced M1891 Mosin-Nagants were used during WWI as were SMLEs I believe. After the war, I think the State Militias got them.

                              State Militias still sometimes used muzzle-loaders into the 20th century, but I wouldn't count their stuff unless said militia units actually engaged in combat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1