Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

why not Seal-A-Meal a gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • King of the 109ers
    Member
    • Sep 2015
    • 335

    why not Seal-A-Meal a gun?

    does Seal A Meal plastic have pores so it only works if the food is also frozen or fridged?

    Seems like the "suck the oxygen out" would be exactly what you want to prevent rust, and the plastic would keep any dust out.

    Shouldn't I be able to give a gun the Light Coat of Oil and seal it in a dry room and not worry about storing in damp conditions for next year or more?

    PS-I understand there are issues in sealing plastic with any oil around, which is why those heated potato chip bag sealers ONLY worked on TV. On TV they didn't take any chips out. In the real world, taking chips out coats the bag's throat with oil, and sealer wont work.
  • #2
    DDM4556
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jun 2014
    • 2601

    Interesting... Wouldn't this be conceivable for long term storage?

    You sir, may be a genius. Try it and let me know.
    iTrader: 52 transactions, 100% positive.

    Comment

    • #3
      SonofWWIIDI
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 21583

      It's been done. I just don't know about the longevity of the plastic. Additionally I would include a couple of silica pouches too.



      Sorry, not sorry.
      🎺

      Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

      Comment

      • #4
        blackberg
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 3061

        you mean like these?
        -bb



        sigpicNRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759


        Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale

        Comment

        • #5
          blackberg
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 3061

          SonofWWIIDI beat me with the exact same pics to boot!


          that is why I get for looking at foodsaver alternative bags on the way back here
          -bb
          Last edited by blackberg; 01-20-2016, 12:03 AM. Reason: typo-darn autocorrect
          sigpicNRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759


          Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale

          Comment

          • #6
            DDM4556
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jun 2014
            • 2601

            Originally posted by blackberg
            that is why I get for looking at foodsaver alternative bags on the way bake here
            -bb
            LOL
            iTrader: 52 transactions, 100% positive.

            Comment

            • #7
              blackberg
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 3061

              I did run into uline, I forgot they carried bags and rolls, of course they would, thats all they sell, good price too
              -bb
              sigpicNRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759


              Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale

              Comment

              • #8
                sealocan
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2012
                • 9956

                There's a few companies that make plastic bags specifically to inhibit corrosion.
                here is the link and some of the high-tech mumbo-jumbo that explains it all so that everyone could understand.




                "How VCI Chemistry works:
                Corrosion begins when an electrolyte (water, oxygen, or humidity) is present on the surface of a metal. When this happens, electrons then flow from high-energy areas of the metal to low energy areas in a loop, through the electrolyte. The corrosion process results in the formation of oxidation on the metal surface. VCI molecules stop this reaction by passivating the surface and inhibiting or depressing the electro-chemical mechanism that triggers oxidation, i.e. the current flow from anode to cathode. Electrical current attempts to flow from the anode through the electrolyte into the cathode but cannot, because of the VCI’s presence. VCI molecules attach themselves to a metal surface to form an invisible monomolecular layer to protect metal from attack."



                It isn't rocket surgery you know.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SonofWWIIDI
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 21583

                  Originally posted by blackberg
                  SonofWWIIDI beat me with the exact same pics to boot!


                  that is why I get for looking at foodsaver alternative bags on the way back here
                  -bb
                  Gotta be quick on the draw around here.

                  Sorry, not sorry.
                  🎺

                  Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Boswell
                    Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 478

                    I seal my freshly cleaned brass in food saver bags and canisters.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jimi Jah
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2014
                      • 19230

                      Unless you seal in a perfectly dry atmosphere you will seal in any moisture.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        King of the 109ers
                        Member
                        • Sep 2015
                        • 335

                        Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                        Unless you seal in a perfectly dry atmosphere you will seal in any moisture.
                        Yeah, but you can usually get a very dry atmosphere and once to vac-pac you only seal in tiny amount of air with an even tinier amount of moisture (and O2). You enemy is the unlimited amounts of moisture that come when air circulates.

                        When they pour concrete it keeps sucking moisture out of the air for an extended time after hardening, and the chem reaction keeps going, causing measurable weight gain. Classic kids' science brain teaser: does a piece of steel gain or lose weight when it rusts?

                        Also, with a LITTLE bit of extra effort you could purge the normal room atmosphere with some other bottled gas which should be 99.999% dry and O2 free.

                        Only prob is Helium (the only gas you can buy easy at kid's party stores without getting expensive) is also the most slippery gas and will leak out of things that hold other gases just fine.

                        I hear MREs have some fancy 3 layer package because regular plastic just don't do it (but seems fine for potato chips, candy bars, etc for at least a few months).

                        I don't see thing wrong with doubling up Seal A Meal.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Fxd650
                          Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 208

                          I need an ar hanging I. My shower. Will be ordering Asap!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            P5Ret
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 6391

                            Maybe I'm missing the point, are you thinking long term storage of some type? If so you can get oxygen removal packets, or use those pocket hand warmer's that heat up when exposed to oxygen.

                            Then again I'm probably missing the whole point as part of the enjoyment of owning firearms for me is the maintenance. Kind of a distraction of all the crap of everyday life, go in the shop turn the stereo up and deal with the task at hand, sort of thing.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              supergimp
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 284

                              I vacuum pack my bulk ammo and reloads in manageable quantity packages. More for convenience than anything else. After several years I've noticed about 40% of the packages have leaked some air (no longer under vacuum).

                              This is using standard food packaging supplies (Food Saver brand and generic). I know there are more industrial versions that might be more reliable.



                              NRA Lifetime Member
                              Winchester Arms Collectors Association Member
                              Cody Firearms Museum Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1