Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W model 10-8 38 special help with age please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RevolverFan
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2015
    • 10

    S&W model 10-8 38 special help with age please

    I need help please identify the age of a Smith&Wesson Model 10-8. The serial number is AER39xx

    I would also like to know if re-bluing it would decrease the value? I am not interested in selling it. It just when I croak, if my son's don't want it because it doesn't look brand new like the rest I own, they will probably sell it and fight over the others.

    Thank you so much for your help and for your spirit of helping others. I really appreciate it.
  • #2
    dustoff31
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2007
    • 8209

    To the best of my knowledge there is no place to look up S&W serial numbers on line. I think your best bet would be to find a copy of the book, "The standard catalog of Smith & Wesson products", or perhaps call S&W customer service.

    I can tell you that the -8 version of the Model 10 first appeared around 1977-78.
    "Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler

    Comment

    • #3
      QXSOUP
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 989

      Is the barrel pinned? If so its pre 1982. I have a -7 from 1979. I think the -8 was the changeover in 82.
      WTB: Sig P245 or P220 Compact

      STOP THE TUNNELS

      Comment

      • #4
        RevolverFan
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2015
        • 10

        I'd S&W model 10-8

        the barrel is not pinned. It is a heavy barrel with no taper.

        What about re-bluing it? I planned to remove the old blueing and to apply the new and put it in the oven for a while. I read about this procedure and supposedly comes out perfect. But, I don't want to effect the value. I think this was a PD turn in. It has a lot of scratches. I want to make it look new again. I used to carry one of these along with an M16 everyday as an MP. Thqat's why I bought it but the guy I bought it from online wasn't an honest person. It is in a lot worse shape than he stated. But it was on GunBroker..com and the guy was a jerk anyway so I just plan to fix it as I don't need any more grief in my life.

        Thank you!

        Comment

        • #5
          RevolverFan
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2015
          • 10

          S&W Model 10-8 ID

          Originally posted by dustoff31
          To the best of my knowledge there is no place to look up S&W serial numbers on line. I think your best bet would be to find a copy of the book, "The standard catalog of Smith & Wesson products", or perhaps call S&W customer service.

          I can tell you that the -8 version of the Model 10 first appeared around 1977-78.
          I was hoping that there was someone on here that has that book that can tell me. Thanks for your reply!

          Comment

          • #6
            shafferds
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 1970

            Re finishing the gun will damage the value by at least 25% unless does by factory with a letter. Those are great shooters.

            Comment

            • #7
              Kyle36
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2014
              • 535

              Per the book 1977-1978

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1