Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kahr P380 or Sig 238?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UrsusMaritimus
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 34

    Kahr P380 or Sig 238?

    I know one is single action and the other is double, and there are other differences, but for those that have owned both or shot both which do like better? Accuracy? Recoil? Any issues?

    Thanks,
    Trenton
  • #2
    unusedusername
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 4124

    Do you prefer a double action or a single action trigger?

    Likely, your answer to this question will tell you which one you want.

    Comment

    • #3
      Maht_g
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 1748

      Hear people have issues with the p380, pretty finicky on what it'll eat... I have a couple of the 238, run perfectly with everything I've tried to shoot. I'd go sig
      sigpic"That's more suspicious than a nun doing squats in a cucumber field!"

      Comment

      • #4
        63j300
        Member
        • Nov 2013
        • 386

        238
        2 Timothy 3

        Comment

        • #5
          Mayor McRifle
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2013
          • 7771

          SIG P238. No question.
          Anchors Aweigh

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            dls
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 2598

            I like the 1911,so obviously after only handling both at a shop,I ordered a 238.
            I have not shot the p380. if you're mostly a double action guy,you may prefer it.
            The chair is against the wall...

            Comment

            • #7
              wrstlrguy
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2015
              • 43

              I have both. Originally planned to sell the P380 as I didn't want to have a mix of triggers in my CCW options. I wear trim dress pants, dress shirt, and tie for work every day. The P238 concealed well in a pocket holster, but there's no denying the tiny profile and extreme lightweight of the P380. Now it's P238 in chinos/jeans and P380 in dress pants.

              Comment

              • #8
                not-fishing
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 2270

                Most of the P380 problems for mine has been operator error. Then again after years of shooting handguns competitively I've learned it's rarely the handgun.
                Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

                Comment

                • #9
                  wrstlrguy
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Feb 2015
                  • 43

                  They both shoot very accurately with little recoil. The P380 is finicky on ammo and does require a break-in period. The long trigger on Kahr is part of what makes it super-accurate, but an equally long trigger reset means follow-up shots can be either (1) not fast or (2) not happen at all (early on, I had to train myself not to rush follow-up shots because sometimes I would squeeze the trigger before it reset=no bullet).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    D.A.V.I.D.
                    ——
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2015
                    • 1876

                    go with the sig. I owned the kahr a few years back and I wouldn't trust it at all. If you held on to it as tight as you could it could get some rounds through it but not hollow points. I could only get target ammo to feed and it would still stovetop or misfeed every few mags. I know two others that purchased and had the same problems. For the price I feel like it should definitely operate better.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dpop24
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 1117

                      I own both and currently only trust the Sig as the Kahr has some reliability issues still. However, I don't carry the Sig either because my other carry guns don't have manual safety and I don't want to mix manual of arms. I'm hoping to make the Kahr reliable after a good break in, but so far it's not there yet.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        brianm767
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 2399

                        Kahr P380 no question.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ApexGT3
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2014
                          • 52

                          The P380 is so easy to carry and is terrific to shoot.

                          The only trouble mine has ever had is when the shooter limp wrists the grip. I tend to agree that most of the negative rep for the P380 is due to operator error.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kmas
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 1315

                            Ruger LC380CA or the Sig

                            Originally posted by UrsusMaritimus
                            I know one is single action and the other is double, and there are other differences, but for those that have owned both or shot both which do like better? Accuracy? Recoil? Any issues?

                            Thanks,
                            Trenton
                            The Sig was a nice gun to shoot - good looking, accurate, but more felt recoil than the Glock 42 (my favorite, but NOT on roster)

                            Try out the LC390CA which is the old Ruger LC380.
                            Comes with a free attached laser sight (if you use such things)
                            I don't like it as much as my Glock 42 (off-roster) only because of that long trigger pull, and more felt recoil (similar to the Sig).
                            I bought the Ruger for CCW purposes.

                            The Kahr P380 is finicky (unsafe if your life depends on it) - I owned one - went back for repairs twice and finally returned it (all this after finicky cleaning processes, and 300+ rounds of round-nose FMJ by various major manufacturers). My colleague had the same problems, and worse yet, during my CCW interview, the detective told me he had similar problems with his Kahr and no longer carries it.
                            If you search for Kahr reviews, you will find lots of problems with P380s that were manufactured during the past year or so.

                            The Kahr forum is full of enthusiasts who give excuses for its problems.
                            It is true that with small guns, user error is often a problem - BUT the 3 Kahr owners I mentioned, are all experienced shooters. Also, both my colleague and I had the range master try to shoot our P380's before and after Kahr repaired them - to no avail.

                            If you want reliability, stay away from the Kahr P380.
                            Its a beautiful and very compact gun though, but recent Quality Control has been poor. When it did work, it was accurate and "fun to shoot"

                            So, per your 2 choices, get the Sig - I've put at least 500 rounds through a Sig rental at the range - 100% A-okay (except their magazine needed to be forced in a couple of times for it to "click")

                            If you're open to look at options - try out the LC380CA

                            Happy shopping
                            Last edited by kmas; 08-20-2015, 2:44 PM. Reason: 30 to 380

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              abarmy
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2014
                              • 72

                              P938, I love mine, its almost the exact same size as the P238

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1