Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Loose sling stud

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • WDE91
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3513

    Loose sling stud

    It is looking like I might be buying a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 but Ive noticed a little issue.

    The rear sling stud is loose and will rotate a bit.
    I am thinking of removing it and filling the hole with clear epoxy and thread it back in and wiping off the excess.

    Would this be a good fix to a loose sling stud?
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
  • #2
    lewdogg21
    Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
    • May 2009
    • 10369

    Yes.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by jmonte35
    Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
    .

    Comment

    • #3
      bigbossman
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2012
      • 11280

      Yes. Also, you can insert wood toothpicks into the hole, snap them off flush, and then screw the swivel stud in nice and tight.
      Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

      "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

      Comment

      • #4
        nickel plate
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 2134

        I had a similar experience with a NIB 1981 Marlin lever rifle with the white and black signature bulls eye embedded in the bottom of the stock-it fell out on my living room floor just after I brought it home.
        Do this-get a hole punch or a nail of the same diameter of the threaded rear sling stud hole. Use it to punch a hole in a piece of blue masking tape, place it over the hole in the stock and then add more tape around it to insure that no wiped up epoxy will touch bare wood, also tape up the stud for the same reason.
        The round hole in my Marlin was 1/4" in diameter, maybe even a bit larger so I had to really be careful of the furniture while re-bedding the bulls eye with dark JB Weld.
        ADDED:
        I've seen many used Marlin lever rifles where an owner has decided to screw in a lower sling stud directly into the center of the bulls eye-NO! Choose another place in the stock-Marlin never meant that to happen!
        Last edited by nickel plate; 01-05-2016, 4:38 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          jyo
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2008
          • 5320

          The toothpick soluation works just fine and is not permanent...

          Comment

          • #6
            postal
            Banned
            • Mar 2008
            • 4566

            First......

            There are 2 kinds of threads on typical 'uncle mikes' sling studs....

            1- Large wood screw type is common on the front stud- but not always...

            2- Machine thread screw with a nut is common for rear with a hollow type stock.....

            Is this a wood stock? plastic or or fiberglass?

            If its wood, it should be a wood screw type stud.

            If it's plastic or glass, it might be machine screw with nut....

            The toothpick trick is for wood screw.

            Epoxy or jb weld would likely fix it as well.

            Better yet... toothpick AND epoxy or jb.

            If its a machine screw....

            You need to remove the butt pad, Tighten the nut and apply loktite or epoxy or jb to keep it from working loose again.

            Overall.... I think the front stud/studs if you run harris type bipod and sling, are WAY more important than the rear.....

            I wouldnt really care much if my rear swivel turned a little. As long as the front 2 are solid.

            Comment

            • #7
              slosurfer
              Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 202

              My tikka t3 light rear sling stud moves but I wouldn't call it loose. It's solid, but will twist some if the sling gets torqued. I figured it was made like that so that it doesn't get broken from getting torqued if you use the hasty sling technique when shooting. That's how I noticed that mine moves, it will pivot slightly when I use the hasty sling.
              YAT YAS!
              Semper Fi!
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                ojisan
                Agent 86
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2008
                • 11781

                Originally posted by postal
                I wouldnt really care much if my rear swivel turned a little. As long as the front 2 are solid.
                Except if it pulls out while the rifle is hanging from the sling over your shoulder.
                If this happens the rifle will most likely fall behind where you can't catch it and land on the scope.
                The scope will break in addition to there being many new scratches on the gun, too.
                You might have pulled a muscle or two as you to tried to spin around and make the catch.
                You will go home angry and be short-tempered with your wife.
                Then you won't get any that night or maybe the next two or three nights.
                Then you'll be grumpy at work and your co-workers will talk about you in hushed tones and fall silent if you approach.
                You'll think it's a conspiracy and quit your job just to show them who's boss.
                At least then you will have time to fix the loose sling stud.

                Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1