Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

No firearm... Pistol or Save up for AR-15?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The Original Godfather
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 1261

    No firearm... Pistol or Save up for AR-15?

    I currently have ZERO guns. I'm not new to guns, just don't have one at the moment.

    Should I purchase a pistol, specifically a SIG sp2022 in 9mm for around $450. Or should I save up to build a sub-$1,000 AR-15 (possibly AR-15)? I figured if I go the pistol route, I could get it now , which is what I'm leaning towards since I'm of the school of thought that believes, "a gun now is better than a bigger later." On top of that, I could save money and put that into magazines and ammo and still have some money left over.

    But I feel I would be better off with the rifle since I'm able to control an AR-15/10 better while firing, and I'm also of the school of thought that believes, "what good is a gun if you can't control it under fire?" And perhaps take the rifle hunting some day? I should also point out that "later" in my case means 2 months from now.


    This would serve as a home defense weapon. I live in a modern upscale townhouse so not sure if penetration will be an issue as I'm not sure if brick was used at all (probably not). And my bedroom is on the second floor with the bedroom door facing the staircase entry that leads to the first floor entrance.


    What say ye?
    72
    Pistol now
    0%
    67
    AR-15/AR-10 later
    0%
    5
    Military Decals, Apparel, and More


    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
  • #2
    JDPhx501
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 816

    pistol and a couple stripped lower receivers

    Comment

    • #3
      GreaterFool
      Member
      • Mar 2015
      • 419

      Pistol first. You will have more range options to practice. Most indoor ranges don't allow rifle calibers.
      Serva me. Servabo te.

      Comment

      • #4
        Krejaton
        Member
        • Apr 2015
        • 223

        Pistol now then save up those pennies.
        "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." ~ Voltaire

        "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~George Orwell

        Comment

        • #5
          HighWildFree
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 2103

          Shotgun.... Sorry I'm not very helpful. Or a stripped lower and pistol as mentioned.
          "Bangarang Peter!"

          Comment

          • #6
            SILENT GUNMAN
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 1468

            Go with the pistol and stripped lower. Once you have the lower for your ar15 you can get the rest of the parts online as money permits. Then build it once you have all the parts. It's really not hard to build an ar15 for $500-600 right now. I have 2 ar15s that cost me less than $700 each and they both work very well.
            "Suck on my machine gun" (Ted Nugent)

            Originally posted by Fishslayer
            "9mm is for killing Europeans. For truly dangerous people you need a .45."
            Originally posted by fighterpilot562
            I showed up naked to ur house with cake. But you weren't home. YOur wife maced me. And I was arrested

            Comment

            • #7
              Wes C Addle
              Banned
              • Apr 2015
              • 1867

              a complete lower and several AR uppers

              Comment

              • #8
                SheepDog78
                Senior Member
                • May 2015
                • 630

                I'd opt for a pistol now, and if you have the funds, purchase a few stripped lowers since they're dirt cheap, and like others have mentioned, once you have those, you can purchase all the rest of the rifle parts online anytime, from anywhere.
                "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Edmund Burke

                Comment

                • #9
                  Agent 0range
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 1040

                  +1 for pistol, ammo, mags, and stripped lower now. Buy the parts you want for your build as you can afford them. And FWIW, the SP2022 is a great gun. Very accurate and (so far for the 4 months I've owned mine) extremely reliable.
                  Originally posted by Mezcalfud
                  Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pitbull30
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3053

                    I say pistol then rifle.

                    On a side note, how the heck do you have a join date of 2010 and still have no guns?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sealocan
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 9956

                      yet another vote for a pistol & get the best one that you can afford.

                      it's just my opinion ...that the AR market right now is a little bit flooded, so the prices will stay in low for at least a little while to come.
                      ( I believe member "Bigpimping" has a AR that he's only asking around $500 for, and that's in the normally expensive Bay Area.)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        smak28
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 4120

                        I say choose the one that you are going to utilize most at the range. For example, I never make it out to the long gun range because I have to drive 45 minutes and haven't shot my long guns in over 10yrs. If you have a range that you will visit frequently that accommodates both long guns and pistols, then choose the one that you enjoy shooting most.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Canucky
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 4265

                          Don't wait too long Winter is coming. (elections) This hobby will take another foolish spike in prices.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Megalomegalodon
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 798

                            Pistol now so you have something. Have to start somewhere right but the sooner the better.
                            NRA Endowment Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              balance
                              Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 134

                              Originally posted by Canucky
                              Don't wait too long Winter is coming. (elections) This hobby will take another foolish spike in prices.
                              I haven't bought a "brand new" firearm in a long time, but there are a number of very good to excellent condition, used handguns (maybe even some ARs) out there. If you are open to the used market, I would recommend looking there.

                              Determine which is of greatest importance, use/price/ammo cost, and then pull the trigger (I meant decide).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1