Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Firearms appraiser

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 3S16
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 801

    Firearms appraiser

    The value of my small gun collection, far exceeds what my home owners insurance will cover in case of loss (yes, I have a substantial gun safe bolted into concrete). So, I have to get an "insurance rider". To do this, I have to have my collection appraised. Anyone who has cruised the gun auction sites becomes immediately aware of the huge price difference between gun values in "free states" as opposed to California values.
    That said, does anyone know of a reputable firearms appraiser that will do an in home appraisal? It would be impractical to haul them all to a shop. I'm in Ventura County.
  • #2
    GW
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2004
    • 16078

    Worse comes to worst, Get the Blue Book of Gun Values. List your guns by make, serial number and caliber with your estimate of the condition and take pictures. Secure copies of this info with a trusted friend or safety deposit box.
    This should be sufficient for insurance purposes.
    Unless you have some very rare items ala .45 ACP Luger...
    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

    Comment

    • #3
      -hanko
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 14174

      Originally posted by GW
      Worse comes to worst, Get the Blue Book of Gun Values. List your guns by make, serial number and caliber with your estimate of the condition and take pictures. Secure copies of this info with a trusted friend or safety deposit box.
      This should be sufficient for insurance purposes.
      Unless you have some very rare items ala .45 ACP Luger...
      I would generally agree...I've done the same and have my info on paper both in the gun safe and at the bank.

      For especially rare and/or scarce items, Butterfield's in SF and LA do have experts that know their stuff.

      The last place I would approach would be a California gun store.
      True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

      Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

      Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

      A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

      Comment

      • #4
        003
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 3436

        Contact Spencer at Lock Stock and Barrel in Simi Valley He can give you current actual prices for recent sales.
        (805) 285-0715

        Last edited by 003; 06-09-2015, 10:26 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          I Swan
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 8770

          Unless you have a large amount of expensive and rare guns I'd not bother with the appraisal and frankly maybe not with the insurance. Maybe do a self appraisal first with help here and with the blue book then decide if you want to go further and spend more.

          Getting a appraisal done will not be cheap in many cases. I'd be happy to help you when I'm in your area but I'm not an expert

          Comment

          • #6
            3S16
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 801

            Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do the log and photos. I'll give give spencer a call too. I've bought a couple of guns from LSB through their Gun Broker auctions.

            Comment

            • #7
              I Swan
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 8770

              Let us know what they charge you. Might be cheaper to take your guns to whoever appraises them.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1