Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

what is a good accurate .308 rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • baekacaek
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 631

    what is a good accurate .308 rifle?

    Looking for a 2nd rifle in .308 caliber. Pretty set on the caliber, as I wanted something bigger than .223 and big enough to take down some game, but still small enough to have manageable recoil and enjoy shooting paper targets.

    What are some of the rifles I should be looking at? I don't mind if it's semi auto or bolt action, but if I had to choose I'd probably prefer semi auto. Looking for something that will shoot sub MOA off the shelf. Price range 500 - 1500. Will mostly be for range shooting but I plan to pick up hunting down the road, so that's something to consider as well.
  • #2
    waveslayer
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 1728

    bolt, Tikka T3 with a KRG stock. . R700 5R.

    semi. get a Gap 10 might be above Budget but worth it. find a used one on the Hide
    Last edited by waveslayer; 05-26-2015, 9:29 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Jet Setter
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2012
      • 5348

      R700 is a staple. Can't go too wrong with that.
      *********************
      WTS:
      1. PW 800+ Hydro Multispeed (just the hydraulic unit that also works with Spolar press)
      2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
      3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)

      Comment

      • #4
        Mojaveman
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 1177

        How about a Browning BAR?
        Attached Files
        "Any honest and hardworking man is made better yet by a large bowl of good chili."

        Comment

        • #5
          mabilis_matulis
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2012
          • 5121

          R783 is cheap and will do the job..
          sigpic
          "its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"

          Comment

          • #6
            AreWeFree
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 4558

            Rem 700 is good if you want something to blow money on....

            Comment

            • #7
              CoopsDad
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 1710

              DPMS LR308 is a really good choice. I use one and it's fairly light and accurate enough to make me the weak link.

              Comment

              • #8
                Divernhunter
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2010
                • 8753

                Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, Ruger American for me

                For you try these and any others you get a fancy for and buy the one YOU like and FITS you. Do not put too much thought into what the keyboard commandos have to say(including me).

                Buy a quality scope such as a Leupold

                My 2 Cents
                A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                Comment

                • #9
                  ChuckDizzle
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 4398

                  CZ makes surprisingly high quality bolt guns for the price. They also have a very classy old school European look to them. However they almost seem too nice to hunt with.

                  Howa also makes a very nice .308 in a vanguard action. You will get better accuracy for the money with a bolt action.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    waveslayer
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 1728

                    Originally posted by Divernhunter
                    Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, Ruger American for me

                    For you try these and any others you get a fancy for and buy the one YOU like and FITS you. Do not put too much thought into what the keyboard commandos have to say(including me).

                    Buy a quality scope such as a Leupold

                    My 2 Cents
                    amen, I call them Internet Ninjas... but those options listed above are good as well as the DPMS... but the American ruger.... ouch. as for scopes get a NightForce hunting line you will GTG

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      baekacaek
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • 631

                      Originally posted by CoopsDad
                      DPMS LR308 is a really good choice. I use one and it's fairly light and accurate enough to make me the weak link.
                      Light? Isn't that thing 15lbs and way heavier than any bolt action you can get?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sleighter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 3624

                        Oh, so you want a light rifle for hunting, but a heavy rifle to reduce the recoil. Something with guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy, but not too expensive. Also, repeatable accuracy, but prefer semi-auto. Also you want to keep the cost down, did I get that about right?

                        Seriously though, accuracy has a lot to do with ammo selection. If you reload, most decent rifles can be sub-MOA. For a list of decently priced accurate rifles listen to Divernhunter. Weatherbys in particular come with a sub-MOA guarantee. So there's that.
                        If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

                        Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Divernhunter
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2010
                          • 8753

                          The Tikka's do also. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the several American rifles I have shot. Enough to buy one for myself in 30-06.

                          The Nightforce scopes are great. Like a Leupold on steroids. I have 2 of the NXS Nightforce scopes but they are a bit expensive for me on a hunting rifle. I also like a duplex reticle on my hunting scope, non-AO and such. I use the KISS principle and it has paid off over the years for me.

                          If you want a semi-auto then the rem 742 or newer 750 can be very accurate. The Browning BAR is nice also. I have a Rem 760 Pump and hunted with it for many years. It is just too heavy for me now. The same with the other 2 and most other semi-autos. If you are younger and not as disabled as I am then the heavier rifles are just fine. In my younger days I would even carried my M1A. I did carry for over 5 miles a heavy barreled Rem Varmint rifle and shot a deer with it. I could not carry it 500 yards now.

                          Just a question: Does Nightforce make a lesser priced hunting scope with a duplex reticle in a 1" tube of about 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 or 4X12X40 or 4.5X14X40??? I actually only am familiar with the NXS series.
                          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CoopsDad
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 1710

                            My DPMS SASS is 15.5 lbs, my LR308 is right at 9lbs. Feels like it's made outta stryrofoam, comparatively.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              waveslayer
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 1728

                              Originally posted by Divernhunter
                              The Tikka's do also. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the several American rifles I have shot. Enough to buy one for myself in 30-06.

                              The Nightforce scopes are great. Like a Leupold on steroids. I have 2 of the NXS Nightforce scopes but they are a bit expensive for me on a hunting rifle. I also like a duplex reticle on my hunting scope, non-AO and such. I use the KISS principle and it has paid off over the years for me.

                              If you want a semi-auto then the rem 742 or newer 750 can be very accurate. The Browning BAR is nice also. I have a Rem 760 Pump and hunted with it for many years. It is just too heavy for me now. The same with the other 2 and most other semi-autos. If you are younger and not as disabled as I am then the heavier rifles are just fine. In my younger days I would even carried my M1A. I did carry for over 5 miles a heavy barreled Rem Varmint rifle and shot a deer with it. I could not carry it 500 yards now.

                              Just a question: Does Nightforce make a lesser priced hunting scope with a duplex reticle in a 1" tube of about 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 or 4X12X40 or 4.5X14X40??? I actually only am familiar with the NXS series.
                              yes they make a SHV line that is for hunting and less expensive. they are awesome scopes for the money. the NXS line is just one of several

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1