Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tannerite litter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dflanmod
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 56

    Tannerite litter

    So I go out to the BLM land to do some shooting with the family. After we are done we grab some trash bags and proceed to clean up some of the trash that other people had left on the range. Amongst all the trash there were several used/shot tannerite containers lying around.

    As I'm picking these up Im thinking maybe I should just leave them as I dont want to get caught with them when I pass back through the Border Patrol checkpoint, with possesion being 9/10 of the law and all.

    So am i just being paranoid? Does anybody here think getting caught with used tannerite packages by LE could possibly be an issue?
  • #2
    musick
    CGSSA Associate
    • Sep 2012
    • 1062

    Its fine. Just because I have Wolf packaging in my trash bag that does not prove I used it. Even more so when its mixed in a bag of rusty steel cases and sun bleached clay debris.
    Thanks for going above and beyond.

    Comment

    • #3
      SonofWWIIDI
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 21583

      A local FFL, that has tannerite for sale in various sizes at the counter told me when I asked that tannerite...UNMIXED...is GTG.

      As for the spent containers, I really don't know if residue would be illegal or not. I guess if they put the dog on your ride and it alerted you might have trouble. "Please move to secondary". Of course I don't live near the border, nor do I intend to cross the it....am I being detained?...Am I free to go?...I'd like to go on about my way....the Constitution does guarantee freedom of passage within our borders doesn't it?...
      Sorry, not sorry.
      🎺

      Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

      Comment

      • #4
        MrPlink
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2010
        • 12532

        Possession is possession, it is not some fraction of the law (I really hate that saying)

        All possession would prove in this case... is that you possessed the discarded containers of tannerite.

        If that itself is a crime (answer that for yourself ) then you might have something to worry about
        The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

        disclaimer:
        everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

        Comment

        • #5
          onelonehorseman
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 4888

          Originally posted by dflanmod
          So I go out to the BLM land to do some shooting with the family. After we are done we grab some trash bags and proceed to clean up some of the trash that other people had left on the range. Amongst all the trash there were several used/shot tannerite containers lying around.

          As I'm picking these up Im thinking maybe I should just leave them as I dont want to get caught with them when I pass back through the Border Patrol checkpoint, with possesion being 9/10 of the law and all.

          So am i just being paranoid? Does anybody here think getting caught with used tannerite packages by LE could possibly be an issue?
          Would there be a refuse dumpster to dispose of the collected range litter before the border check point? Maybe a highway rest stop?
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
            A local FFL, that has tannerite for sale in various sizes at the counter told me when I asked that tannerite...UNMIXED...is GTG.

            As for the spent containers, I really don't know if residue would be illegal or not. I guess if they put the dog on your ride and it alerted you might have trouble. "Please move to secondary". Of course I don't live near the border, nor do I intend to cross the it....am I being detained?...Am I free to go?...I'd like to go on about my way....the Constitution does guarantee freedom of passage within our borders doesn't it?...
            The FFL in question is a moron who does not know the law. Possession of anything with INTENT to make an explosive as defined by CA law (which Tannerite is) is a crime. One would be hard pressed in a court of law to prove that there was no intent to use Tannerite as advertised and instructed on the bottles.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #7
              dflanmod
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2014
              • 56

              Originally posted by onelonehorseman
              Would there be a refuse dumpster to dispose of the collected range litter before the border check point? Maybe a highway rest stop?
              Unfortunately no. And believe me, it sucks. Id love to have a place to go with this stuff so i would not have to pay 35 dollars at the landfill to throw away other peoples garbage.
              Where i go there is nothing between the checkpoints and the shooting area.

              Comment

              • #8
                dflanmod
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2014
                • 56

                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                The FFL in question is a moron who does not know the law. Possession of anything with INTENT to make an explosive as defined by CA law (which Tannerite is) is a crime. One would be hard pressed in a court of law to prove that there was no intent to use Tannerite as advertised and instructed on the bottles.
                This is what concerned me. If possession and intent is enough to get you in trouble what are the possible ramifications of possesing the aftermath of the illegal item.

                Granted as others said, a reasonable explanation to a leo may just in fact be enough to get you going along on your way. On the ether hand you run the risk of encountering an overzealous officer who is of the "let the courts work it out" persuasion.

                I mean at this point ive got guns, ammo, off list/home built lowers with no serial numbers, used targets, empty shell casings, expended explosives that are illegal and a story that goes, "but it's not mine officer".

                Comment

                • #9
                  laurelpark
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 1013

                  I don't know for sure, but I think this is analogous to the "empty beer can in the car" scenario that I was taught long ago. In short, a closed beer can in a car is OK - no way to prove that you intended to drink it while driving. An open container is an immediate infraction - you clearly were drinking it. An open and empty container is not an infraction because the illegal part of the container is gone. There is no law against transporting aluminum cans in your car (think of the example of someone taking recycling in for redemption).

                  There is a caveat to this. If the can is still frosty when examined, there is probably cause to show that it recently had been consumed - and that is enough to get you into trouble.

                  So, if you have spent tannerite containers in a garbage bag, I think you're A-OK.

                  Speaking of Tannerite, I'm amazed at how easy it is to still find the stuff. I was told that if it's not mixed, and you're found with it, there really isn't anything that can be done. All you have to say is that you're keeping it and waiting for the California laws to change so that it's legal again. If your intent is to store it forever without using it until it's legal again - well, how is anyone going to make a case against that? The laws change so often that it's a reasonable use-case scenario.
                  Last edited by laurelpark; 05-20-2015, 8:40 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dutch3
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 14181

                    People should just clean up after themselves and this wouldn't be an issue.
                    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jazman
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 2140

                      Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                      The FFL in question is a moron who does not know the law. Possession of anything with INTENT to make an explosive as defined by CA law (which Tannerite is) is a crime. One would be hard pressed in a court of law to prove that there was no intent to use Tannerite as advertised and instructed on the bottles.
                      This is what I believe also, hard to understand you can find it for sale so easily. Really, what else is one going to do with it?
                      Originally posted by Kestryll
                      You're boned.
                      _________________________________

                      If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1