Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The armless finally get armed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The Soup Nazi
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 2455

    The armless finally get armed

    Ah yes, busting my butt off at school finally payed off, hopes for a rifle salvaged my GPA and my dad will be taking me to SJ Gun Exchange on Saturday. I'm in the market for a Russian SKS so I hope I can pick out a nice piece for myself. I do have three questions though.

    First: I know there are certain years where the SKS didn't have chromelined barrels, which were these? (I'm pretty sure anything in the 50s had chromlined barrels.)

    Second: I know how to recognize an arsenal refurbish, painted black receiver/bayonet, usually laminated (unless it lacks the refurbish mark), and the box with the diagonal stamped on the receiver. Now I understand that even though these aren't in their original condition, that there is still a demand for them because of the laminated stocks. How much should I be expecting to pay less if I find an arsenal refinish? (I'm leaning towards the non-refurb, but I'll get what I can find.)

    Third: I don't know if this was a figment of my imagination, but I've heard that there should be a number on the front iron sight post, 1 being graded as most accurate and 2-3 being less so? If this is true, maybe I could get a picture of this?

    After the dreaded 10 day wait and desomolinzation process, maybe I'll finally be able to go out to the range with all the people who've previously offered me. Time to start inquiring about where I can get my mits on some stripper clips and elevation/windage adjustment tools and all the great miscellaneous stuff that should but doesn't come with the SKS.

    Edit: gah, should've posted in rifle forum.
    Last edited by The Soup Nazi; 06-29-2006, 6:33 AM.
  • #2

    Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
    First: I know there are certain years where the SKS didn't have chromelined barrels, which were these? (I'm pretty sure anything in the 50s had chromlined barrels.)
    oh no you don't.

    all russian SKSs have chrome lined barrels. only the Yugos don't.

    Comment

    • #3
      The Soup Nazi
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 2455

      Oh, I thought the early 45s that saw Berlin and possibly the 49s didn't have chromelined barrels. Wouldn't be surprising by the way you look at the Ak-47 quality dipping at some points as time progressed. I've heard of freak stories where an SKS actually had no chromelined barrels.

      Comment

      • #4

        some may have slipped through the cracks, but I am not aware of any particular segment of russian SKS production lacking chrome bores.

        simonov.net will know more.

        Comment

        • #5
          hoffmang
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2006
          • 18448

          FYI - I picked up a '52 Russian at Krausewerks in San Mateo about 5 weeks ago for $490. She was in very, very good condition so I expect that's the high end price wise. I'm partial to Krausewerks so I'm willing to overpay him a bit.
          Gene Hoffman
          Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

          DONATE NOW
          to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
          Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
          I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


          "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

          Comment

          • #6
            The Soup Nazi
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 2455

            Well, the prices seemed a little higher at the GE last time I visited but they werern't arsenal refurbs w/matching number and the stocks looked in good condition, so the least I can do is support my local store especially for helping in the OLL fight.

            Comment

            • #7

              so what did you do?

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1