Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

2nd home in MA. Any issues with bringing gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dedub
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 192

    2nd home in MA. Any issues with bringing gun

    For work reasons, my wife is getting a second residence in Boston. It will be a rental in my wife's name. FYI, all our guns are in my name.



    I'd like to leave a gun at the new residence. I know how to get the gun from A to B, but I'm not sure about any local laws/hoops that I'll need to jump through. Any ex-Bostonians out there who can help?



    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    Steel Panda
    Banned
    • Mar 2015
    • 86

    follow MASS law

    Comment

    • #3
      sealocan
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2012
      • 9956

      it's been a long time since I've been to Massachusetts but as I remember each county or even town could have their own firearms regulations as well as state regulations that were pretty strict.
      it used to be you had to go to the local police station and fill out a form with all your information and the chief of police would sign off to allow handguns. (it seemed easier to get in the more rural towns and tougher in bigger cities, like Boston, the biggest.)
      but for your particular issue, you'll need to look into the exact of town's legal requirements.

      long guns are easy to get and I think the shotgun is favored in Massachusetts...
      (the majority of hunting,like deer, in Massachusetts is done with a shotgun by state regulation.)

      so if you think your wife can learn to use a pump that might be the quickest, easiest and lowest cost way to go for home defense in Massachusetts.

      make sure you look into the current laws in Massachusetts.
      they take their firearms laws and the jail sentences that go with them very seriously.
      I wish you the best of luck.

      Comment

      • #4
        mycrstuff
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1427

        Check the Northeast Shooters website for info. In Massachusetts only residents are allowed to have guns and ammo. You need a permit for both. No sure a part year resident would qualify for the permits.

        Comment

        • #5
          dedub
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 192

          And I thought CA was screwed up...

          Comment

          • #6
            uhlan1
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2012
            • 6217

            She couldn't get a job in Utah? I'd rather deal with our crap than what they have to go through in Mass.
            "Hence it happened that all the armed prophets conquered, all the unarmed perished." - Niccolo Machiavelli

            Comment

            • #7
              joemoia
              Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 192

              I have dual residency in CA and MA. In order to legally possess a handgun in MA you need to have a "License to Carry" (LTC). LTCs are issued by the PD in the city/town in which you reside. For info on MA gun laws go here:

              "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free"
              A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

              Comment

              • #8
                joemoia
                Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 192

                Originally posted by mycrstuff
                Check the Northeast Shooters website for info. In Massachusetts only residents are allowed to have guns and ammo. You need a permit for both. No sure a part year resident would qualify for the permits.
                This is incorrect. Non-residents can be issued a Non-Resident License to Carry
                by the MA Firearms Review Board.

                Also Ma. General Law, Chapter 140, Section 129C, Paragraph P allows non-residents to possess conventional rifles, shotguns and ammo provided they can legally possess these firearms in their state of residence. However most LEOs are not aware of this provision.

                I am a part time resident of MA an possess a MA Resident LTC. Its up to the individual PD whether or not they will issue an Resident LTC.
                "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free"
                A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

                Comment

                • #9
                  Decoligny
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 10615

                  Originally posted by mycrstuff
                  Check the Northeast Shooters website for info. In Massachusetts only residents are allowed to have guns and ammo. You need a permit for both. No sure a part year resident would qualify for the permits.
                  That is 100% BS.

                  Massachusetts does indeed have non-resident permits.

                  sigpic
                  If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
                  or heard it with your own ears,
                  don't make it up with your small mind,
                  or spread it with your big mouth.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    dedub
                    Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 192

                    Thanks for the tips. We'd both be non-residents, so I guess we'd both have to secure permits.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RMikeL
                      Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 271

                      Ask Will Brink on m4carbine.net.
                      NRA Life Member

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1